Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ACR's Lens Correction Feature  (Read 1178 times)

jvora

ACR's Lens Correction Feature
« on: March 20, 2011, 02:49:35 am »

Hello :

Wondering if the Lens Correction feature in Adobe Camera Raw is able to correct lens aberrations ( distortion & CA ) at all focal lengths of a lens ?

Say if one was using the 14-24mm lens and a particular image was shot at an add 17mm or 17.5m focal length - With the exif data noted, does the software correct the image for that particular focal length or finds the closet "known" focal length ( say 18mm for this example ) and use this data for correction ?

Any ideas how this works ?

Thanks,

Jai

JeanMichel

Re: ACR's Lens Correction Feature
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 03:00:16 pm »

Hi,

I use Bridge -- ACR-- Photoshop.

In Bridge you can filter using any of the metadata items such as lens, focal length, aperture. etc.

So, for example, you could open an image shot with your 14-24 lens set at 17 mm and f/5.6 in ACR and correct for CA, vignetting, and whatever else appears common to the images you want to adjust (you can save a preset if you wish). Click DONE.

Back into Bridge.

EDIT -- DEVELOP SETTINGS -- COPY CAMERA RAW SETTINGS

Filter for all the images made with that lens and focal length and aperture -- you can safely add close by focal lengths and apertures to the filter (I doubt that you would find any difference in CA correction for images shot at 16, 17, or 18mm; CA may show more obviously for certain content and lighting such as strong backlight through bare branches...)

Then

EDIT -- DEVELOP SETTINGS -- PASTE CAMERA RAW SETTINGS (you can choose which settings you want to paste)

Et voila, by magic all those settings are applied to all the selected images!

Distortion has to be corrected in Photoshop, at least in CS4, maybe CS5 includes a distortion correction filter in ACR but I do not know about that.

Jean-Michel

Pages: [1]   Go Up