Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brand new Epson 3880 been used?  (Read 3871 times)

ChrisS

Brand new Epson 3880 been used?
« on: March 19, 2011, 10:58:50 am »

Hi - I just opened my brand new 3880 to load inks, and I see very clearly ink traces in each stall (each the appropriate colour for that stall), and a small central stain in the maintenance tank. (I've tried to attach an image, but not sure if it's worked.) It's clearly been used - is this normal? Is it part of the calibration process in factory? Or have I been sold a ringer?

I bought from a reputable company in the UK.

Thanks

Chris

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Brand new Epson 3880 been used?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 11:35:18 am »

That’s normal, don’t worry about it. It could be ink or (at least in terms of the larger format printers) a fluid that is put into the lines to keep them from drying out. Long boat ride from Japan.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

ChrisS

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 11:44:13 am »

MANY thanks for your reply - what a relief!

What do they put ink through it for - is it the calibration process?

howardm

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 11:49:54 am »

could also be a spot check QA thing.  pick a random printer off the production line, add ink and test it.

ChrisS

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 11:21:35 am »

Just in case anyone else finds themselves in the same position - a support technician at Epson UK replied to my enquiry, which had the same picture, and wrote:

"In response to your email, thank you for providing that screenshot, this clearly indicates that it has been used and is not brand new."

SO - if you get one that looks like mine, send it back!

Cheers

Chris

Doombrain

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 12:39:10 pm »

its normal, the fluid is flushing liquid.

ChrisS

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 01:02:32 pm »

Do you know why it needs flushing?

Thanks.

ps - what would it look like if it had had inks put through it? Wouldn't it look like in the photo?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 01:14:19 pm by ChrisS »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 01:41:57 pm »

Do you know why it needs flushing?

When you first put a set of cartridges into the printer, it has to prime the system and tubes and flush the shipping fluid.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

ChrisS

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 01:59:15 pm »

Thanks for your reply.

I'm in real danger of appearing to disagree with at least one person who knows WAY more about this than I do, but: another support technician at Epson just told me that they don't pass any liquid through the ink pipes in the factory on this printer. I'm pretty confused right now!

What's in the cartridge slots looks so much like ink rather than cleaning fluid - even if there are different coloured cleaning fluids for each pipe. (I've done a bigger crop, below.)  It just looks like ink to me. But I've never thought about this before, and hope never to again after my new printer arrives and this one's taken away in a couple of days.

Thanks again for your thoughts. I really appreciate them.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 02:01:02 pm by ChrisS »

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 02:36:07 pm »

Does the 3880 have a print counter? Number of printed pages?

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 05:35:42 pm »

Does the 3880 have a print counter? Number of printed pages?
Yes it does but if Epson sent a refurbished unit out could they have reset the counter?

ChrisS

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 05:47:09 pm »

How do I check the counter? It would be good to try to see what it says. At the moment, when I switch on, the info screen just tells me there are no ink cartridges.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 08:03:51 pm »

Just installed the latest of our stable of Epson Printers today, a 3880. It replaces the 2200 which finally died a couple of weeks ago and can't be resurrected after more than 12,000 prints...

Here's what I observed about the process.

I put the inks into the slots according to the instructions. I did NOT take a look at the waste tank other than to see where it was placed.

It charged the printer with ink, all the colors except Pk and MK used about 20% of the cart, or about 16 ml of ink. The Pk was down 13%; Mk down 10%, 10.4 ml and 8 ml consumption respectively.

Altogether, the initial charging took 130.4 ml of ink.

I weighed my spare VLM cart and the VLM cart from the printer with 80% left and found a difference of 15 grams difference. For all practical purposes, the ink weighs about 1 g/ml.

I weighed my empty waste tank and the one in the printer now at 64% capacity left. There was about 72 g of weight difference, thus about 72 ml of ink was flushed through the system at the git-go. I would estimate that the in the links and head there is about 58 ml of ink or about 6.5 ml per color per line.

I did a head alignment then an auto nozzle check, two prints total. In checking the counters on the display, it tells me that both checks did not use enough ink to register. However, the page counter told me that three sheets have been printed though I know there were only two used during set-up.

My guess is that at least one page has been printed and perhaps the lines have been flushed to prepare for shipment and probably as a requirement for some obscure import or export regulation that dictates a specific tariff regarding ink, thus if used to test the head, it probably must be cleaned out for that regulation and also to prep the system for some kind of transit and shelf life where the head won't be clogged when it gets to you.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up