Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CLOGGED PRINT HEADS -- EPSON 7900  (Read 10391 times)

bellimages

• http://www.bellimages.com
CLOGGED PRINT HEADS -- EPSON 7900
« on: March 18, 2011, 08:15:43 pm »

The clogging is driving me nuts on the 7900. Some of you say to run a nozzle check first thing in the morning. Others say to run one before every print (that's just ludicrous in my opinion). Would Epson do that on a trade show floor .... I THINK NOT!

The truth of the matter is that I can't trust that the heads won't clog ... at any point. I did a nozzle check last night, and only one head was clogged. I cleaned it and it was fine. Today Cyan is 100% blocked, and two others are partially blocked. This comes after photo black being 75% blocked a couple weeks ago (it took about eight cleanings to get it working).

As I said, I'm a fine art printer. Sales aren't knocking me over. I can't afford to waste half my ink (and Museo Silver Rag paper) doing nozzle checks.

Am I out of line in expecting Epson to solve this problem? From what I've read on various forums, a few people have had the issue resolved with a service call (tech replacing the print head). Others say that a replaced head didn't improve a thing.

I'm VERRRRRY frustrated (at Epson) !!!!
Jan Bell, Owner/Photographer, Bell Image

BobDavid

Re: CLOGGED PRINT HEADS -- EPSON 7900
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 09:24:05 pm »

Low relative humidity can cause ink to dry and clog the nozzles. If you've got forced hot air heating, that can be an issue. Sometimes, I just print out a file with solid patches of color that use up all of the inks -- solid black, solid light grey, solid cyan, etc. Sometimes that "primes the pump" and clears the nozzles. Living in Central Florida, where low humidity isn't an issue, has spared me a lot of the clogging problems that other people in the country have. My first line of defense would be to invest in a humidifier with a hydrostat, so that you can dial in the amount of moisture in the air.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 09:43:37 pm »

If you are missing 100 % of a color it is quite doubtful it is from clogged nozzles.  Most likely a problem in the ink delivery and pressurization system.  Had this with green on mine, service call and replaced parts resolved it.

Garnick

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 10:32:36 pm »

For six months I fought the same issues with my 9900, especially the Cyan nozzles.  Wouldn't trust the machine to print more than one large print consecutively with out at least a nozzle check, and usually one or two cleaning cycles.  From the first time I powered up the printer I kept a log of all of the problems, along with dates and times.  The capacity of my patience had diminished in direct relation to the volume of issues in my log after six months.  I then called Epson and arranged a service call within the warranty period.  The tech brought along a print head and a pump/cleaning assembly.  He installed the pump/ cleaning assembly first and then the new print head.  Couldn't get to head to work at all so re-installed the original head.  So the only part that was changed was the pump/cleaning assembly.  He had mentioned that that assembly was all Epson usually sends for these issues, but in this case a print head was included as well.  After that service the printer has worked very well with very few clogs.  When a cleaning is required generally only one is needed and that's much better than before the service call.  It would seem that perhaps a call is in order for you as well. 

As far as the humidity is concerned, I have run a humidifier every winter.  This winter I've had problems with it so haven't used it much.  The RH is usually around 26 to 28% and there have been virtually no problems this winter.  I'm a firm believer that if the cleaning assembly is working properly and the capping station has a good seal, clogs are not nearly as much of an issue, regardless of RH conditions.  I'm also planning on extending the warranty period for at least one year on the 9900.  Good insurance in my opinion.  I hope you will follow through with the service call and finally have some fun printing with the 7900.

Gary 
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

davidh202

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 10:56:58 pm »

Jan,
I have linked to this site in three other posts and have been ignored  ::) ?
I have absolutely no affiliation.!

http://www.americaninkjetsystems.com/symphonic_inkjet_cleaning_fluid.html

They have a lot of very sensible info and I am going to buy their CLF007 and give it a go before I start having clogs  So far (knocks on wood), i've been lucky.
Read some of the articles from the Maintainance/ Repair drop down menu links on the left of the page.
David
 Good luck!  

Randy Carone

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 09:26:52 am »

Cleaning fluid may alleviate true clogs but the issue seems to be ink delivery. If a new pump is the solution, no amount of cleaning will help. I'm certain that a Service Call will be the only solution for this problem.
Randy Carone

bellimages

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 03:40:39 pm »

Thanks Randy. I agree, a service call is in order.

I'm beginning to think that purchasing an additional service plan is a good idea for this printer (due to clogging and/or ink delivery issues). It sucks that we users have to to consider this expense. I'd take my chances on everything else with the printer, saving the $1200 and using it toward the purchase of my next printer.

All in all, I'm still a happy Epson owner. This is my 12th Epson printer (between work and my home business). I've never had issues like this. This issue may be a non-issue on their next round of printers. But that doesn't help us now. I wish that Epson would issue a recall and fix it on al 7900s and 9900s.

bellimages

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 11:08:05 pm »

A tech came on Friday. Spent about five hours working on the printer. He is returning on Wednesday to install a cleaning squeegee.

The first two days, I had excellent results from a nozzle check. Today about a quarter of the cyan as clogged.

Sven W

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 04:11:56 am »

The cyan clog/dropout is nowadays well known as a pressurize fault.
You have to point that info to the tech.
The Epson team almost rebuilt my 9900 after six months, and it´s definitely better but not 100%.
I still got some weird clogs and lost cyan/magenta channel.

/Sven
Stockholm, Sweden

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 06:52:13 am »

What is the difference between the Cyan channel pressurising and the pressurising of the other channels?

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

Sven W

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 11:45:34 am »

Well, that's the question I asked Epson too. But no answer.
And I'm not that high-tech myself, to figure it out.
Maybe Farmer or some other members have deeper knowledge about it.

/Sven

What is the difference between the Cyan channel pressurising and the pressurising of the other channels?

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

Stockholm, Sweden

stretchdcanvas

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 11:49:07 am »

Does anyone know if Epson licensed the "Wave" technology from Mutoh for the aqueous printers like they did for the GS6000?

Randy Carone

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 01:23:06 pm »

Yes, the GS6000 prints with the "Mutoh wave" (Intelligent Interleaving). The EPSON aqueous printers definitely do not employ the wave technology. Mutoh produces the GS6000 to Epson's specs but I'm not certain if the wave technology was licensed from Mutoh or if it is a joint development project between Mutoh and Epson.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 10:40:59 pm by Randy Carone »
Randy Carone
Pages: [1]   Go Up