Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What would you use each of these lenses for...  (Read 3957 times)

jalcocer

What would you use each of these lenses for...
« on: March 18, 2011, 03:11:15 pm »

So, I have already my kit lens, the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 af-s, I'm buying the 35mm f/1.8 af-s next week, and suddenly, someone gave me another kit lens the 55-200mm vr f/4-5.6 af-s.

and I would like to know from you who have more experience, in which situation would you use these three lenses? because I would like to take advantage of the three.

I already planned to use the 35mm for some portraits and get better dept of field than with the 18-55, but there should be many situations you can use either one of those three.

regards.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Re: What would you use each of these lenses for...
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 04:36:29 pm »

Too many variables - among them sensor size, shooting style, subject matter... Personally I wouldn't use a wide-angle lens for portraits as wide angle lenses tend to distort, especially toward the edges of the frame.  Shoot someone with a big nose in profile and that will be exaggerated.  The list goes on.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 06:01:16 pm »

I am curious as to why you would buy a fixed focal length lens that's right in the middle of your zoom lens range? The larger aperture will let you shoot in lower light, and will also give you the option of less (not more) depth of field.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 07:47:38 pm »

I already planned to use the 35mm for some portraits and get better dept of field than with the 18-55, but there should be many situations you can use either one of those three.

35mm is too wide for facial portraits due to distortion even on a crop sensor camera like the D3000 - face doesn't have to even be on the edges of the frame for features to look cartoony.

For full-length portraits it's fine, though, and half-length depending on your tastes.

And what Peter said.

jalcocer

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 10:30:06 pm »

actually the 35 is for full and half lenght portraits. In another post someone said it was ok with the 35 just that I wasn't intending to use it focusing just the face and things like that.

What I was attracted to is the aperture (for dept of field) and the price (since my budget is amazingly low).

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 11:48:22 am »

in which situation would you use these three lenses?
Well, best to use them on a camera.
Luckily, you have one, haven't you?

More seriously, I would consider on one hand the 2 zooms for general needs when there is enough light (zooming is a big advantage in composition, because you can manage your image by both moving your feet to change the perspective and object relationship and zooming to change framing), and keep the 35/1.8 for low-light situations or shots where you do need the narrow depth of field (portraits).
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

john cox

• The world exposed
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 12:34:19 pm »

I would use the 35 1.8 as my standard lens as I tend to dislike the image quality of kit zooms. If I needed to be versatile I would bring the 18-55 that day. I've never used long lenses because I can't visualize well how something far away would look up close. But for it would be useful for wildlife photography and portraits (head shots) I would use the longer zoom, it would also be good for landscapes but not as often as the wider lenses.

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 04:24:48 am »

I am curious as to why you would buy a fixed focal length lens that's right in the middle of your zoom lens range? The larger aperture will let you shoot in lower light, and will also give you the option of less (not more) depth of field.

I think you gave the answer to your own question... in my case, I bought a fast prime just for the low-light capabilities and the narrower DOF.
Pages: [1]   Go Up