Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Love at First Sight  (Read 4095 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Love at First Sight
« on: March 17, 2011, 04:17:02 pm »

Dog and boy, ready to play.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

popnfresh

Re: Love at First Sight
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 05:02:22 pm »

A really nice street shot. You can tell the dog and the kid would love to be playing together. The B&W tonality is also impeccably rendered, as always. Thanks for sharing this, Russ.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 12:17:14 am »

Nice one, Russ!

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 01:15:37 am »

Well seen!  And captured!!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 02:45:27 am »

Lovely shot.
Thanks Russ!

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 08:15:16 am »

Our own Norman Rockwell. Also love that after enjoying boy and dog there is a terrific sling-shot effect whipping the viewer from that story all the way to the back upper left of the frame where I fully expected a second payoff. Nice one Russ.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 08:19:15 am by Patricia Sheley »
A common woman~

francois

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 08:20:14 am »

Beautiful! The eye contact between the dog and the kid is so intense, like both want to become best friends.
Bravo.
Francois

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 08:21:37 am »

Hi,

The eye to eye contact is really very well seen and captured and takes your eye through and around the image in a very satisfying way - I don't know if I would have preferred to see the frame crop not go through the feet (and the dogs bits) as much as it does, but that said, the main focus of the image is the non verbal communication between the dog and the boy, which is totally excellent.

Photobloke

seamus finn

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 08:23:03 am »

Yep, the eyes have it. A beauty.

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 03:44:14 pm »

Hi,

The eye to eye contact is really very well seen and captured and takes your eye through and around the image in a very satisfying way - I don't know if I would have preferred to see the frame crop not go through the feet (and the dogs bits) as much as it does, but that said, the main focus of the image is the non verbal communication between the dog and the boy, which is totally excellent.

Photobloke

Wot! Are you suggesting a wider lens and then cropping?

Rob C

RSL

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 03:58:59 pm »

Well, Bloke's right. It would have been better if I'd been able to take a step backward with my 50mm prime, but from what I've seen, Bloke doesn't do street, so he doesn't realize how long you have to compose and shoot when a dog's looking at a boy and a boy's looking at a dog and the kid's mom is starting to pull him along the street. How long? Roughly a second. Not long enough for the step backward. So in the time you have you decide how many heads to cut and how many feet and go for it. I probably should have had a 35mm on the camera that day. A zoom would have been worthless.

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 04:52:53 pm »

Russ

It's a smashing photograph with a freshness and spontaneity about it which you would have missed had you tried to re-frame it. And it's just the sort of thing that I am totally useless at, because I can't even press the shutter unless I have every element of composition under control - which means, basically, that I have to photograph things that don't move  ;)

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 04:56:01 pm »

Now that's what I call good street photography. The kid makes me smile.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 08:39:01 pm »

Well, Bloke's right. It would have been better if I'd been able to take a step backward with my 50mm prime, but from what I've seen, Bloke doesn't do street, so he doesn't realize how long you have to compose and shoot...

Hi RSL,

Yes you are right, I now prefer to shoot landscapes, but I have done street photography and still do, so I do realise how ridiculously hard it is to get it right. I also have a 50mm prime, which is a superb lens but much harder to use than the 24-105 zoom which is my preferred walk around lens, but I do still use the "Nifty Fifty" (see example images). Although I find with the 50mm that you have to get into the right state of mind and be prepared to keep on your toes and move around and smile a lot.

But as I say, your shot really is excellent and believe me I am not criticising it and would have been very happy to have taken it myself, because I know with street photography you have to shoot it as you see it when you see it, but the frame crop through the feet does make a difference, as you yourself agree.

BTW, the one with the little girl chewing a lolly you might not think is a street shot, but believe me it is, because I actually took it by sticking my lens (the 50) through an open window into a printers workshop, as I was walking by, I had already seen the shot out of the corner of my eye, so went back for a second time and grabbed it.

Photobloke
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 08:50:26 pm by photobloke »

RSL

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 03:03:37 pm »

Bloke, I didn't take your comment as a criticism. You were right. On the other hand, the more I look at that picture the more I'm almost glad I didn't have time to step back. The kid's face is a critical part of the whole thing and it's in danger of melding into the woman's arm. If I'd stepped back I'd probably have had to crop the picture to somewhere near its current state to keep the kid's face large enough and distinct enough.

I like your street work -- especially #3. The light in #2 is so good that the thing looks almost three dimensional on my monitor.

Rob C

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2011, 04:36:34 pm »

Love the one with the kid and the printer guy; don't like the group of ladettes.

Rob C

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2011, 06:47:47 pm »

Through the Window makes me want to see Gepetto's toyshop tools in the scene...It's the one that gets to me...
A common woman~
Pages: [1]   Go Up