Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: External Hard Drives  (Read 15427 times)

PierreVandevenne

• http://www.datarescue.com/life
Re: External Hard Drives
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2011, 02:11:24 pm »

It's fairly easy, but can be dangerous if you mistype a command, select the wrong drive or partition. I would have been glad to provided more specific instructions, had you told me the exact type of drive/enclosure you have been using. Here's an example, using the WD "book" is used for the backup of one of my Macbooks. As I have said above and as a quick googling session has shown, all the WD drives I have encountered with smartware had a hidden "unerasable" partition. At this point, I am not claiming it is the case with recent drives as I don't have one at hand. Conceivably, the new ones could contain 1GB of flash, mount that as a partition or restore the partition on the hard drive automatically from that backup. But I have seen no proof of that either, as most of the feedback on the topic on the net is from people who are definitely not familiar with low level disk stuff. You could start by looking at what diskpart tells you about your drive and its partitions. SEVERE WARNING: changing anything you aren't 100% comfortable with can definitely lead to significant data loss for the average user.

Step 1: there is an invisible partition I want to get rid of - as you can see, the management interface won't do anything with it.

step 2: using diskpart, I list the disks, select the one I need to work with, then select the partition and delete it using diskpart. The interface refreshes itself and at that point I could play around a bit more, doing more complex stuff. You'd use a similar process to get rid of any other unwanted partition.

step 3: still using dispart, I clean _all_ data from the drive - just for fun ;-0. Again, the interface immediately reflects the change.

And, of course, one can easily check, using a disk editor that, among other things, the first sector of the drive is indeed as virgin as can be.

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2011, 11:27:25 pm »

Thats what I would expect to see in older WD MyBook Models.  As I've stated the current models VCD is in firmware, here is a 1TB model puchased Feb 2010:

My problem is not so much the lost disk space, as you've demonstrated with the older models, it is more the addition of an uneeded / wanted "device" in my environment.  The controllers use an off the shelf Oxford Controller, with an 256kx8 Flash Chip.  I suspect the device code is here, as I've substituted a different drive and still saw the VCD.  All 6 MyBook drives that I purchased are relegated (as shown above) to backup duties.....

Finally, if you do choose to use diskpart as you've shown, you need to be carefull to set the proper offset to correctly match the underlying sectors:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa995867(EXCHG.65).aspx

« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 12:10:27 am by John.Murray »

alanb

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2011, 01:20:26 pm »

I have been extremely happy with Lacie hard drives.  Their warranty is superb.  All hard drives will fail, sooner or later.  A Lacie failed after 4 years (with a 3 year warranty) and they replaced it.  Service is impeccable!

Alan

PierreVandevenne

• http://www.datarescue.com/life
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2011, 01:33:16 pm »

Thanks. Interesting - I think I found the one I cleaned of its 600mb smartware partition. Obviously, it isn't there since it is clean :-0 - I'll purchase one of the recent ones just to check.

WD My Book USB Device
Disk ID: A8A024F7
Type   : USB
Path   : 0
Target : 0
LUN ID : 0
Location Path : UNAVAILABLE
Current Read-only State : No
Read-only  : No
Boot Disk  : No
Pagefile Disk  : No
Hibernation File Disk  : No
Crashdump Disk  : No
Clustered Disk  : No

Volume ###  Ltr  Label        Fs     Type        Size     Status     Info
  ----------  ---  -----------  -----  ----------  -------  ---------  --------
  Volume 4     E                RAW    Partition    931 GB  Healthy

I wouldn't advise to use Diskpart to align partitions, at least to the normal users, as the needs differ for different OSes and different physical sector sizes.

Rob C

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2011, 03:58:01 pm »

Well, amazing the thread that springs from an innocent question!

I've resolved my problem and bought myself an Iomega eGo Portable hard Drive of only 500GB insted of the larger unit I'd been thinking about. The reason? I discovered that my entire C-Drive would fit twice within the 500GB, so safety in mumbers, I guess; I've now got everything on two separate external drives. Unlike the bigger Iomega I have, it takes its power from the USB 2 port without need for an external power source.

Hope I sleep better. No, Fate, definitely not tempting you!

;-)

Thanks again, guys.

Rob C

PS The computer shop man insists that there are few actual makers of the internals, that much is just different brand packaging of the same internal product within different bodies.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 04:01:09 pm by Rob C »

DeeJay

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2011, 01:30:40 pm »

Haven't bought any external drives for a while now. Try and keep them internal where possible as SATA is so much faster. But I've bought a lot over the years.

Recommended:
G-Tech (super fast super well made super reliable)
Western Digital Mybook (I've owned 12 of these and not had one fail)

Drives I would never go near again:
Lacie (really bad)
Seagate
Maxtor
Iomega

I do use an eSata Dock now for backing up. It's cheap effective and simple.
http://www.storagedepot.co.uk/External-Hard-Drives/Hard-Drive-Docks/sc883/p864.aspx

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2011, 01:40:45 pm »

Haven't bought any external drives for a while now. Try and keep them internal where possible as SATA is so much faster. But I've bought a lot over the years.

Recommended:
G-Tech (super fast super well made super reliable)
Western Digital Mybook (I've owned 12 of these and not had one fail)

Drives I would never go near again:
Lacie (really bad)
Seagate
Maxtor
Iomega

I do use an eSata Dock now for backing up. It's cheap effective and simple.
http://www.storagedepot.co.uk/External-Hard-Drives/Hard-Drive-Docks/sc883/p864.aspx

Speed is not really an issue for overnight backups unless we're talking several terabytes.

DeeJay

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2011, 01:08:31 am »

Ok cool. Just any standard connections will do fine. But those Sata drive docks are really cheap and mine has a quad interface so it's just a case of using what's available. Bare sata drives themselves in 1tb or 2tb are so cheap too these days.

schrodingerscat

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2011, 04:09:48 pm »

Ok cool. Just any standard connections will do fine. But those Sata drive docks are really cheap and mine has a quad interface so it's just a case of using what's available. Bare sata drives themselves in 1tb or 2tb are so cheap too these days.

Is that the Newertech dock? I've been using one for two pairs of drives that I swap between the computer and a safe deposit box. It can take both 3.5" and 2.5" SATA drives.

To give you an idea of my level of paranoia, I have five copies of everything, bootable backups and image files being on separate drives. There's an internal backup for each drive, as well as a two drive firewire enclosure, and the bare drive archives. The firewire drive and dock are only powered up for copying. In "Where's my #&*# Pictures", Seth Resnick describes an incident he experienced where a motherboard failure took down every drive in his LAN. If not for an off line drive, he would have lost everything. Years ago I had a failure that wiped out only a few files, but they can never be duplicated. Never again. I also have an external drive with my image library on it for use with my laptop.

Personally. I'm not a big fan of proprietary backup/raid/NAS solutions and prefer to build my own boxes and use software backup solutions(SuperDuper in my case). Most proprietary devices put files on the drives that render the drives useless if the board in the box goes south. In my system I can take any backup/archive drive and install it in any machine, and be up and running in minutes.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2011, 01:40:46 pm »

To give you an idea of my level of paranoia, I have five copies of everything, bootable backups and image files being on separate drives.

You're not backed up until you have at least one off-site backup. All it takes is theft, fire or water damage to ruin even the most elaborate on-site backup system. It's not mentioned whether you're doing it, just stoking that paranoia fire :)

schrodingerscat

« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2011, 03:49:59 pm »

You're not backed up until you have at least one off-site backup. All it takes is theft, fire or water damage to ruin even the most elaborate on-site backup system. It's not mentioned whether you're doing it, just stoking that paranoia fire :)

Hens the two drives rotated to the safe deposit box, and the portable that is always with me when away.

mbalensiefer

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2011, 08:44:01 pm »

Does anyone here use an external drive other than Sata?

I have a Sata drive connected over eSata cable, so my connection is quite fast; but looking at my other needs, I am trying to get a drive that is large(larger) in capacity--yet enterprise in quality. Enterprise 2TB Sata drives are ~300 on Newegg. Is anyone here using a single SCSI drive or so? SCSI as I understand it is more reliable then even enterprise Sata...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up