Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Coyote Buttes, North or South?  (Read 7574 times)

b.e.wilson

• http://science.uvsc.edu/wilson
Coyote Buttes, North or South?
« on: July 15, 2003, 11:16:36 pm »

The North unit has the Wire Pass trailhead, which provides the easiest access to the Wave area. You can get into the Wave via the South unit, but it requires some rock climbing, I'm told. Haven't done that route myself.

b.e.wilson

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2003, 08:37:10 am »

I don't. I've never tried for a walk-in permit.

b.e.wilson

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2003, 11:39:55 pm »

Jeff, you are quite correct. In examining a permit I have on hand, I see that the first item in the list of regulations is, "1. Permits for Coyote Buttes North or South are valid only for that area. Coyote Buttes South permits are not valid in Coyote Buttes North and vice versa."

Thus my statement that the Wave is accessible via a south unit permit is not correct. I understand it's physically accessible (from a friend who's done it years ago), but isn't permitted.

E.F.

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2003, 06:33:39 pm »

It seems that the permits to go to the Wave run out faster for the north than the south. Does this mean the north side view is more spectacular?

E.F.

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2003, 11:35:53 pm »

I have something planned for Nov out there, but North is booked solid until January. I hear that they have 6 floating permits daily at Paria station. Do you know how many people usually show up for those?

JeffJ

• www.jjsviewbox.com
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2003, 10:53:32 pm »

My understanding is that your permit is for the North or South part of the Coyote Buttes area. Since the Wave is in the North part, a permit for the South part will not be valid there regardless of how you hike in.
Jeff Johnson
www.jjsviewbox.com

Lonzo

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2003, 08:48:20 am »

Hi folks,

I've been there in April 2002. They give out 10 walk in permits per day for THE FOLLOWING DAY at the ranger-station at milepost  21. Last April the station opened at 9 am. No use in being there to early, no first come first serve. If more than 10 people show up it will be a draw.

They provide information how to get there. The walk from the northern trailhead is appr. 90-100 min. and spectacular alone, not to speak of the wave and its surroundings (corcscrew, Hamburger...take your time and walk around) itself !
Bring good shoes & enough to drink, it can be an oven, but its definitely worth every minute! THe formations are very brittle so please be careful to keep that spot rated to be one of the most beautiful in the world intact!
Good luck!
Pages: [1]   Go Up