Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transporting Canvas wrapped prints for shows  (Read 2760 times)

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
Transporting Canvas wrapped prints for shows
« on: March 17, 2011, 10:14:55 am »

I have done shows in the past.  I ended up using x-Port cases with straps (this seemed to do the least amount of damage).  I am now preparing to do art shows showcasing mostly canvas wrapped prints.

How would you transport this type of print to maximize protection without adding significant bulk or weight?

Breathing Color has shipping boxes for certain sized canvas prints  (that would be good for transportation to show and for the customer to get print home in good condition).

Anyone doing this using something different.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 10:33:34 am by larryg »

Blair McDougall

• Gallery
Re: Transporting Canvas wrapped prints for shows
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 08:35:08 am »

When I did canvas this is what I came up with...Living in rural Quebec I did not have a lot of choices to work with.....Not fancy but seems to work well although not meant for anything but getting your print home safely "with" your client.
Go to your local hardware/flooring store. There is a white translucent closed cell plastic foam that is used as an underlay for floating flooring and is sold in rolls of, if I remember, 50'X3' rolls and is about 1/8 of an inch thick. My finished canvas size was 16X24" so it worked well for me. Then I wrapped a heavy brown paper which I purchased in rolls at the local Dollarama  around the outside of that. But only after the print was sold. You could also add a mat between the foam and paper for some added protection if you thought it might need extra protection and if "home" were a long way away. Note.. This foam can tear fairly easily so care must be taken when handling. Also transport vertically. It's inexpensive and works quite well.
I imagine that this would also work in a box depending on the size of course and might also help for the actual shipping.
Hope this helps,
Blair

RFPhotography

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 01:06:08 pm »

Simple bubble wrap works.  It's a PITA taking the tape off and storing it while at the show, but it works and if a piece is sold, the bubble wrap can be used to protect the print for the client when transporting it home.  For boxes, I use the large boxes that frames I've ordered come in. 

That said, because the bubble wrap is a hassle in terms of untaping, I decided that I'd simply use cardboard divders between prints in the boxes.  I don't hang anything that's not framed anymore so the cardboard won't be rubbing on the surface of the print.  I'll carry a roll of bubble wrap and have it on hand for sales but it'll cut down a lot of packing/unpacking/repacking time.

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 01:35:58 pm »

I think I am going to use the following system   the case to carry it in will be my x-port bags (since I have several already)  I will wrap each one with brown wrapping paper.   I will save wrapping paper at shows and then when sold (or done for the day)  I will slip the prints back in the paper.

This certainly will give a level of basic protection.  Bubble wrap would be better, just seems to be too bulky and cumbersome. 

ckimmerle

• http://www.chuckkimmerle.com
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 01:55:20 pm »

Larry,

You might want to consider foam rolls. For a recent traveling exhibit, I bought a 24-inch-wide, 550-foot-long roll of 1/8" foam, perforated every 12", and from that and packing tape, made reusable "envelopes" for each print. It's thin enough to not be cumbersome, yet offers a lot more scratch and bump resistance than paper.

Here's the link to a supplier: Uline
"The real voyage of discove
Pages: [1]   Go Up