Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Im a designer on a MAC. Do I need a PC to run the rip software for my new Epson?  (Read 2563 times)

labunski

We are buying a new Apple G5 computer and a new Epson 9880 printer in my art department. The current Epson large format printer has been set up to run with the driver and rip software on a PC (networked to from my MAC).

Can I not just send files directly from my MAC? Do we need the PC to drive the printer?

Thanks!!!

Liz

Sven W

Liz,
What is your RIP software?
Many RIP's use the Host and Client opportunity, i.e. the clients sends their files to the host,
which is connected to the printer (via network or usb) and also the place where the processing of
the files take place. I most cases the RIP's supports a computer-mixed environment.

/Sven
Stockholm, Sweden

Scott Martin

• Onsight

In a design environment, running a RIP like ColorBurst has a lot of advantages when it comes to color management and press simulation. If you're not having any problems with it and you're setup for getting an excellent press simulation, I stick with it.  If it's ColorBurst that you're running you can consider moving it to a Mac if you like, but either way, the RIP needs to run on a dedicated computer. And that RIP should show up like any other networked printer that you can print to from any computer on the network.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

labunski

So can we install the rip software to my MAC; the same machine I'm designing on? What is the downside/upside to that? Should it be on a machine that we don't use for anything else?

Scott Martin

• Onsight

It's best to run it on a dedicated machine. Is there a problem with your current setup? Do you just not like have a PC around?
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

labunski

No, no problem with my current set up. The current contractor is leaving and taking all of the current equipment and the company I am contracting for is replacing it, so they need to know what is needed and if it needs to be a separate, dedicated machine and if so, can it be a MAC rather than a PC since I am more comfortable with software installs and driver updates on a MAC environment than I am on a PC. whew, make sense?

Thanks!

~ Liz

Scott Martin

• Onsight

Backup all your ColorBurst files and check that your dongle will work with the Mac version of ColorBurst (I think it will). Installing ColorBurst is easy but configuring it requires some expertise. It runs great on a Mac but make sure the color configuration is correct otherwise you'll loose the whole point. Mac minis are great for running ColorBurst in design environments.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Sven W

How do we know that it's the Colorburst?

/Sven
Stockholm, Sweden

labunski

It's not Colorburst -- Its Kodak proofing software

Scott Martin

• Onsight

It's not Colorburst -- Its Kodak proofing software
Providing that kind of information is kinda important when your asking for help isn't it? There's probably a lot more to your workflow that's not being said (number of users, press simulation needed, applications, media, etc). Sounds like you should have an onsite consultation of your needs.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Sven W

I like that combo; Kodak and an Epson printer :D
And I agree with Scott, that it's a job for color consultant.

/Sven
Stockholm, Sweden

na goodman

I agree that an on site visit would probably be your best bet but here is info on that software if you haven't seen it.
http://graphics.kodak.com/US/en/product/proofing/kodak_proofing_software/specifications/technical_data/default.htm?_requestid=67047
Download the pdf and you can see that it should run on your mac. Look at the printers supported and the system requirements.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com

Providing that kind of information is kinda important when your asking for help isn't it?
OP is sort of confusing overall ... Apple quit using G5's and switched to Intel in 2006.

If indeed it is a G5, it suggests the need to use legacy software that can only run on legacy hardware. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up