Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Earthquake in Japan - set back of development of new cameras - lenses?  (Read 6403 times)

haring

• http://www.haringphotography.com

It is really horrible what's happened in Japan a few days ago. My heart goes out to the families of those who died in the earthquake.
As a camera lover as we all are here, I am wondering whether development of new cameras, lenses will be set back because of the recent natural disaster in Japan?

Justinr

• Ink+images

I doubt that this is the foremost thought in the minds of the Japanese at the moment although whilst the bodies rot and the power plants cook the worlds stock exchanges are busy trying to make money out of it all.

stamper

I think your post is insensitive at best and at worst...... :-X Nobody has a crystal ball. Wait and see? :(

Rob C

No, I can't agree with the condemnation. To suspend natural progression of ideas is absurd: of course people are concerned about the future fallout from such events; to be otherwise would, indeed, be the insensitivity.

As for making money - well, in the end everything revolves around that, even our own survival, and I think it's crazy to adopt a sanctimonious attitude about this very basic fact. Would the situation be improved one iota if no money was going to circulate? The fact is that the lack of such circulation is killing the world's attempts at rejuvenation post-meltdown (a furher insensitivity?) in '08.

Rob C

stamper

Rob,
       this isn't about making money. People in Japan do not know what is happening from day to day....from hour to hour even. The last thing they will be thinking about is a camera replacement for someone in the West. You are guilty of the selfish behaviour of the original poster. :(

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website

No, I can't agree with the condemnation. To suspend natural progression of ideas is absurd: of course people are concerned about the future fallout from such events; to be otherwise would, indeed, be the insensitivity.

As for making money - well, in the end everything revolves around that, even our own survival, and I think it's crazy to adopt a sanctimonious attitude about this very basic fact. Would the situation be improved one iota if no money was going to circulate? The fact is that the lack of such circulation is killing the world's attempts at rejuvenation post-meltdown (a furher insensitivity?) in '08.

Rob C

+1

stamper

Money rules? People don't matter? Rob and Slobodan did any of your thoughts dwell on the ongoing situation with regards to the suffering or are you just counting the days till the people get back to work and you can up date your equipment? Personally I can be cynical and lacking in sentiment at times but certainly not with regards to the fate of the Japanese. As to the money side of things I can see the price of camera equipment in dealer's hands rising because there will be a shortage in coming weeks. Does this please you?  ::) :(
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 06:27:30 am by stamper »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website

... Does this please you?  ::) :(

What are you... like, 12-year old?

Rob C

Money rules? People don't matter? Rob and Slobodan did any of your thoughts dwell on the ongoing situation with regards to the suffering or are you just counting the days till the people get back to work and you can up date your equipment? Personally I can be cynical and lacking in sentiment at times but certainly not with regards to the fate of the Japanese. As to the money side of things I can see the price of camera equipment in dealer's hands rising because there will be a shortage in coming hands. Does this please you?  ::) :(

I can't believe you didn't note that I wrote "natural progression" which implies that such thoughts follow from the original ones which, obviously, are about the people.

I don't know about you, but I'm not embarrassed to write that I sat there watching with tears on my face. I understand only too well what it means to have your life shattered by death, and once you are in that place with no exit you feel it just as freshly whenever it hits anybody else, regardless of whether you know them; it becomes a shared experience, like it or not, an extension of your own, personal loss. But everything has to move on.

Rob C
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 01:49:40 pm by Rob C »

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images

It is really horrible what's happened in Japan a few days ago. My heart goes out to the families of those who died in the earthquake.
As a camera lover as we all are here, I am wondering whether development of new cameras, lenses will be set back because of the recent natural disaster in Japan?

I think this is a fair question many others are wondering about, but perhaps in their desire to show support for Japan aren't asking out loud for fear their real intentions won't be well understood.

There are many questions of this type many around the globe are asking.  Car dealers are asking because they're financially tied to their supply channels and need to make sound business decisions, airlines in the region I'm sure are going nuts rerouting and all the related airline service industries need to know where to put their resources to best serve the region and Japan, sea freight companies probably have hundreds of ships either being rerouted or holding offshore with critical and routine supplies, and thousand's of other industries involved with the Japanese economy are asking the same sort of questions not only because of their own self interests, but because the rebuilding of Japan depends heavily on how fast their economy rebounds.

Right now humanitarian efforts are paramount, closely followed by technical solutions with the nuclear power stations.  But once these areas are attended to, and let's all hope as soon as possible.. then Japan's long term recovery will depend on their economy.

It sounds strange, but in 6-12 months perhaps the best thing we will be able to do for Japan as individuals is "Buy Japan", purchasing their exports provides the means for industry to put their citizens back to work and help normalize their lives.

Every emergency, every disaster, every significant impact on a nation, results in scores of people doing immediate, short, and long term planning.. and this involves tons of research and analysis.. asking questions.

I think making thoughtless jokes, insensitive comments, or pushing personal political agendas are way out of line.  But asking questions and thinking about Japan's future can only help the Japanese in the long term.  Much better to ask questions and keep them in the spotlight.. than forgotten about like some other nations which have suffered natural disasters in the past few years..

Here in Thailand a tsunami did considerable damage not long ago.  I've personally walked the areas immediately after, and many times since, and many thoughts both negative and positive ran through my mind.  At first I had negative thoughts about the 'thoughtless tourists' who traveled to these areas just months after it happened, and partied away in the hurriedly rebuilt areas the local businessmen provided.. but it didn't take long to realize that while they weren't aid workers donating their efforts to the cause, they were helping put the locals back to work and injecting much needed funds into the economy. 

It's terrible to watch a nation suffer.. and it's probably going to get much worse for them.  It's going to take all kinds to help put them back together again.
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
Re: Earthquake in Japan - set back of development of new cameras - lenses?
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 06:36:36 pm »

It seems there are always those aggressive people around who immediately reach for the weapon of guilt. Is it ego, hubris or what? Either way it's a serious defect of personality IMHO. Yes, Justinr and stamper, I'm talking about you.
+2 to Rob and Steve's thoughtful comments. You know how to hit the nail on the head better than I ever could.
David

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 07:41:19 pm »

It seems there are always those aggressive people around who immediately reach for the weapon of guilt. Is it ego, hubris or what? Either way it's a serious defect of personality IMHO. Yes, Justinr and stamper, I'm talking about you.

Strange, very strange indeed.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 08:02:25 pm by Justinr »

stamper

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 04:54:01 am »

Slobodan, what a strange reply. Your two contributions to this thread are:

and

+1

No thoughts of compassion or anything remotely illuminating to add. No doubt your famous sardonic and sarcastic wit will now be unleashed. :(

stamper

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 04:59:31 am »

+2 to Rob and Steve's thoughtful comments. You know how to hit the nail on the head better than I ever could.
David

It would be helpful if you could type your own thoughts instead of hiding behind other's and using them to hurl insults. There was - imo -  a serious lack of compassion initially shown by some when it appeared that money was more important than lives and suffering. Now some understanding is being shown, by some, but not all. ::)

Rob C

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 05:43:36 am »

I watched Kirsty Young on tv last night, doing a programme on the Brits at work during parts of the 60s and 70s.

In it, she interviews several veterans from obsolescent industry and the unions. What screams out of the box at the viewer is the absolute lack of understanding of the greater picture that some of those people exhibited, knowingly or through a combination of innocence and ignorance. I suspect little has changed in the world.

(What also came across is that she's a damned fine woman; I like women that create respect through intelligence. That's the thing about current popular relationship movements: they somehow seem to say that respect is owed as a basic right - the need to earn said quality is seldom addressed. That's where I believe they (vox pops) fall on their faces. People are not all alike; why should one respect those who demonstrate nothing that remotely deserves it?)

Rob C 

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2011, 05:47:44 am »

When faced with a tragedy of this sort society in a general sense is always faced with an inner conflict between the realisation that life must go on the natural feelings of compassion and the desire to express it. Certainly the world cannot be brought to an absolute halt for a given period of mourning and as Rob suggests that would be doing no favours to anyone anyway but on the other hand we can also appreciate that there are two ways of reacting to a disaster on a personal level. Our thoughts can be either with the victims and their hardships or with ourselves and our inconveniences and I felt that the OP's question strayed a little too far towards the latter way of thinking for me to be comfortable with so soon anyway.

It is not an easy situation for anyone and most reasonably intelligent people struggle with with knowing how best to approach the subject and strike the right tone. Accusing others of having character defects because one finds oneself in disagreement over their inner feelings on such a matter is unhelpful to say the least.

stamper

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2011, 06:24:03 am »

The human tragedy MUST be sorted out before the means of production can be started again. Human beings create wealth in the form of goods and services. Money is worthless without goods or services to purchase. It is a convenient form of bartering. On another forum I frequent some are wondering when there will be a replacement for the Nikon d700. The use of the word sanctimonious to describe peoples concern for others wasn't helpful. As to the original poster I now wonder what was his motives for starting a thread like this and immediately coupling it with money?

stamper

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2011, 06:33:36 am »

I don't know about you, but I'm not embarrassed to write that I sat there watching with tears on my face. I understand only too well what it means to have your life shattered by death, and once you are in that place with no exit you feel it just as freshly whenever it hits anybody else, regardless of whether you know them; it becomes a shared experience, like it or not, an extension of your own, personal loss. But everything has to move on.

Rob C

Unless a person dies very young then we all experience this, myself included. Agreed things must move on, but unfortunately immediately coupling loss and sentiment with the financial outlook doesn't sit well with me. As I pointed out in a previous post humans create wealth and their well being must come first. :(

Blair McDougall

• Gallery
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2011, 07:29:01 am »

The breakdown of what to expect is here.....  Link

This report was based on information published by TIPA, Amateur Photographer, Reuters, and statements from several manufacturers.

BFoto

• Brad's blog
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2011, 04:24:28 am »

Isn't funny how we are debating whether the OP has merit in his question, when really no one has stopped to think.

Stopped to think about whether our reliance on oil justifies the continued pillaging of this planet like this....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/may/30/oil-spills-nigeria-niger-delta-shell

But, ya see the thing is, if we really wanted to correct the consumption of oil and its relation to genocide, environmental wreckage, corruption, etc etc, we would find that all of those camera factories would shut down anyway.

Pages: [1]   Go Up