Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printhead replacement experience with Canon iPF 8300  (Read 3628 times)

Rob Reiter

• The LightRoom
Printhead replacement experience with Canon iPF 8300
« on: March 16, 2011, 03:34:09 pm »

Yesterday morning I started getting a stripe of red ink, about 1/8th" wide, on my prints. I called Canon Tech Support and we did a head cleaning and a few test prints to confirm the problem. I only had 20 days left on my warranty and Canon replaced the head for free.

I did get a lecture on using non-Canon media, with the support guy saying head strikes and other problems like mine happen much more frequently, even with "good" third party papers. I stock 17 papers and none are by Canon. But I was pleased that even after being mildly chastised, there was no problem getting the head under warranty. This differs considerably with my experiences with Epson 9600 and 9800 printers, when Epson's telephone support wouldn't even consider helping me unless I could assure them that any problems I was experiencing were also present with Epson paper.

I'm curious if this is still Epson's policy. While I have nothing against Epson printers (except head clogging issues), Canon's excellent tech support has been greatly appreciated, if seldom needed for this printer or my iPF 8100 before it.

The head arrived this morning; I replaced it, ran a calibration print and am back in business, less than 24 hours after my call to tech support.
http://www.lightroom.com Fine art printi

Shark_II

Re: Printhead replacement experience with Canon iPF 8300
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 04:30:40 pm »

I'm curious if this is still Epson's policy. While I have nothing against Epson printers (except head clogging issues)...

Which is like saying "Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?"   :)

And I agree Canon's support is outstanding.

Tom

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 07:31:31 pm »

Glad to hear everything went smoothly Rob!

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

Peter McLennan

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 10:25:27 pm »

My Epson 4800 recently suffered a similar fate.  One nozzle fires continuously, even on the ASCII status page.  Even though my warranty was long over, Epson Pro tech support confirmed that it was undoubtedly a head failure and asked me no questions about media or ink.  Cost to repair?  Similar to the value of a used 4800 - close to $500.
Pages: [1]   Go Up