Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: flatbed scanners  (Read 4532 times)

Ray

flatbed scanners
« on: July 10, 2005, 08:26:54 pm »

Does anyone know if I would achieve better results from a flatbed scanner of equal or lesser value to my Rebel, when scanning original artworks (mainly drawings)?
There are no digital cameras that I know of that have anywhere near the resolving capability of even a cheap flatbed scanner. If you can find a flatbed large enough for your drawings then using that to copy them would be far prefferable. However, A3 flatbeds tend to be much more expensive than A4s. It's really a matter of how much detail you want to capture. If you are not likely to print greater than A4, then the Rebel will be quite adequate. If you have to stuff around stitching two scans because the drawing is larger than your scanner, then using the Rebel would be prefferable. If you want to make huge enlargements of your drawings, so sharp that the texture of the paper is clearly visible, then a flatbed would be ideal.

hovis

flatbed scanners
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2005, 12:51:55 pm »

Hi all

Does anyone know if I would achieve better results from a flatbed scanner of equal or lesser value to my Rebel, when scanning original artworks (mainly drawings)? The drawings are extremely delicate, with very subtle gradations and although I've had satisfactory results with my camera there is room for improvement.

I'm interested in the scanner for archival purposes only; I very much doubt I'll be printing larger than A4 (though the option would be nice). The only problem with the flatbed scanner is the restriction on size, there doesn't seem to be anything bigger than A3 in the consumer market. While for most of my drawings this is fine, if anyone knows of a better solution I'd love to hear it.

I'd really like to hear real world comparisons as I know on paper the scanner seems like it should be better.

Thanks.

hovis

flatbed scanners
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005, 08:43:19 pm »

Thanks for your advice Ray, it's much appreciated.
Pages: [1]   Go Up