Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sinar eVolution 75 H or 86 H ???  (Read 6258 times)

PdF

Sinar eVolution 75 H or 86 H ???
« on: March 15, 2011, 04:30:49 pm »

Hello everybody,

I would like to acquire a new Sinar digital back. Specialized in the reproduction of works of art, the choice of a multishoot back is obvious. Using Sinar cameras and backs a long time ago, I do not think it is reasonable to change the system, especially as I have always fully agreed. I'm allways working with Sinar P2 and Sinarcam 2, and the live image of this system is really comfortable. But the era of 16 shots is over.

So I hesitate between 75 H and 86 H. I am surprised at the low price difference between both of them. But they are some questions: is the chroma of 75 H (Dalsa) better than the 86 H (also Dalsa), especially in the red? Is it necessary to equip high-end lenses to get the most of a 86 H? How do they react on tilt-shift?

The local distributor of Sinar in my small country not having the opportunity to make a true comparative, I would like to know if anyone had experience in testing these two back together, or from a 54 H (and why not a 43 HR)? Would this type of comparison have been published on the internet?

Of course, some would say that the revolution is around PhaseOne, but I'm not sure that this type of product correspond to my type of activity, especially with the use of technical camera.

PdF
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 03:19:08 am by PdF »
PdF

MartinWidmann

Re: Sinar eVolution 75 H or 86 H ???
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 04:44:26 pm »

So I hesitate between 75 H and 86 H. I am surprised at the low price difference between both of them. But they are some questions: is the chroma of 75 H (Dalsa) better than the 86 H (Kodak), especially in the red? Is it necessary to equip high-end lenses to get the most of a 86 H? How do they react on tilt-shift?
Hello PdF,

as stated on the Sinar homepage, the 86 H also uses a Dalsa chip. In terms of color response they are very similar.

With e.g. CMV HR lenses you clearly see a difference between the 75 H and the 86 H. What lenses do you own?

My own opinion:
The 75 H and the 86 H are basically very similar. Color and tilt-shift behaviour are comparable. But the pixel quality of the 86 H is a lot better than the 75 H. Not only you get more resolution, but the pixels at 100 % look sharper, especially in 4-shot mode. In terms of noise, the 86 H is about one stop better than the 75 H.

Martin
Martin Widmann
Employed by Sinar Photography AG / Switzerland, however the opinions I express are my own.

henrikfoto

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 05:29:38 pm »

The only problem is that the old 54h in 16 shots mode is better than both of them.
Even Sinar won't comment on that. 10 years have gone by, but no improvement to the picture has been made.
 ???

JerryReed

• jerry@jerryreed.net
    • http://jerryreed.net
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 06:50:50 pm »

I have been using the SINAR 54H doing fine art reproduction for 8 years now in the 16-shot mode with the SINARCAM 2.  I maybe could squeak out a bit more quality if a bought a newer lens, but for my experience, this is the standard to surpass.  So, far I cannot see that it has been.

Jerry Reed

henrikfoto

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 07:50:14 pm »

I have been using the SINAR 54H doing fine art reproduction for 8 years now in the 16-shot mode with the SINARCAM 2.  I maybe could squeak out a bit more quality if a bought a newer lens, but for my experience, this is the standard to surpass.  So, far I cannot see that it has been.

Jerry Reed

I totally agree!
The only thing at the same level is the Betterlight scanningbacks.
Both tecnologies are 10 years old.

What has happened since then?
One-shot backs are better than before. 16-shot backs and scanning-backs is still the golden standard
when is comes to maximum image-quality.

JerryReed

• jerry@jerryreed.net
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 08:55:24 pm »

If I had more business, and expected it to grow my sense would be to buy a Cruse scanner.  After working with lights and polarizers to eliminate glaze and specular highlights, it would be pure pleasure to have that system.

http://www.crusedigital.com/cd_main.asp

Jerry

PdF

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 03:47:34 am »

<<If I had more business, and expected it to grow my sense would be to buy a Cruse scanner.  After working with lights and polarizers to eliminate glaze and specular highlights, it would be pure pleasure to have that system.>>

Not really comfortable to photograph sculptures ...  :-[

<<What lenses do you own?>>

Sinaron Digital 45mm 1:4.5 / 50mm 1:2.8 / 55mm 1:4.5 / 80mm 1:4.0 / 105mm 1:4.0 / 150mm 1:5.6 / 180mm 1:4.8 / 180mm 1:5.6

PdF
PdF

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 06:02:24 am »

As someone who have tested all the latest multi-shot and single shot products, if I was in the market right now I would have a hard time being convinced to go the multi-shot route...

Yes the results are (mostly) excellent but the workflow and the price you pay in shutter life/ lights/ file storage and of course time, at least IMO, make the single-shot options far more compelling

It would be great if Sinar opened their shutter/ lens system so that it can be used with other backs although the lenses can be re-mounted into other electronic or mechanical shutters quite easily

I have a test lined up with a scanning back soon...will be interesting to see how those old Kodak line sensors compare to the new Dalsa 5.2ยต chips in terms of colour, sharpness and dynamic range

Yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

henrikfoto

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 11:26:18 am »

Hi Yair!

This is interesting.
What scanning-back will you test?

By the way, I will have a demo with the new Leaf tomorrow.

Henrik

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 06:24:35 pm »

Hi Yair!

This is interesting.
What scanning-back will you test?

I'm told it is one of the best ;)
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

PdF

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 03:17:17 pm »

Jerry Reed

Yes, BUT the "old" 54H is only a 14bit raw /color !

PdF
PdF

JerryReed

• jerry@jerryreed.net
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 03:52:44 pm »

So, what will you buy?

Jerry

PdF

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 05:17:51 pm »