Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need advise on telephoto lens  (Read 4139 times)

debasishroy

Need advise on telephoto lens
« on: March 15, 2011, 01:02:49 am »

Hi, I would say I am not much of an experienced photographer. I possess a Canon 350D camera and two lenses. The first is the standard 18-55 lens and the other is the 55-250 IS Canon lens. I want to know a good lens for wildlife photography from Canon which won't fire my bank balance. I can afford one more lens now and would like helpful advice on what it can be. Thanks in advance.

HarperPhotos

• http://www.harperphoto.com
Re: Need advise on telephoto lens
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 03:47:07 am »

Hello,

If you are after a great telephoto zoom I would definitely recommend the Sigma 100-300mm F4 EX HSM APO lens.

I have this lens for my Nikon D3x and it is superb in resolution and build quality.

Have a read at the link below

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/328-sigma-af-100-300mm-f4-ex-hsm-apo-lab-test-report--review?start=1

Do get sucked into the the miss conception the if it say's Canon or Nikon on the barrel that it has some magical powers, these independent manufacturers do make some excellent lenses.

Cheers

Simon Harper
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 04:18:25 am »

Here we go folks: lens advice. Run for the hills.
The two main choices are usually the Canon 100-400mm and the 400mm prime. Apparently the advantages of the 100-400 are the zoom (if you are okay with the push/pull focussing) and the image stabilisation (though it's a very early version). Earlier versions were not very sharp at 400mm, though I hear they have improved.
I have the 400mm prime. It's advantages are very fast focussing (good for BIF) and it is very sharp. It's disadvantages are that it is not a zoom and that it's a complete cow to keep still enough to get those sharp images. Honestly, it hums like a tuning fork when there's a bit of wind. Putting a 2kg bean bag on top and keeping the shutter speed up helps a great deal.
I'm getting a bit tired of lugging that bean bag around and am going to trade it in for the new 70-300 L IS. I'll lose some distance but also that #%$# beanbag.
As for 3rd party lenses in my experience it's a complete lottery. The last three Sigma lenses I tried went back to the store the same day. I checked how much focus adjust they would need, and they were too far out to be usable.  Others have had more success. To be fair, the cameras from Canon are sometimes set up a little casually.
As you can already go to 250mm, I see no use in getting a a zoom that will only go to 300mm. That's only an extra 50mm. With the new 200-400mm coming out, there will be a swag of good second hand 400mm prime and 100-400mm lenses turning up. Why not wait and check them out?
Whatever you get, it is a major investment and I'd test each one first. Find a store that will lend it to you for an hour and then look at the results. A good lens will see you through years of use, long after you have upgraded the camera.
David

debasishroy

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 06:00:53 am »

Hey David, Simon,
Thanks so much for the much needed advice. I think I shall follow both. I shall wait for opportunities to buy second hand telephoto lenses from Canon after some time. One question. That Sigma lens you mentioned: is it compatible with the Canon 350D? Or do I need an adaptor to fit it in?

HarperPhotos

• http://www.harperphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 07:12:25 pm »

Hello,

It comes in Canon mount, So I would be pretty sure that it will work on your camera.

Cheers

Simon
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand

debasishroy

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 09:35:14 pm »

thank you so much

stever

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 11:22:39 pm »

if you do a search, you will find lots of comments on this subject, including some of mine

if you're definition of wildlife includes birds and small animals, then 400mm on a crop-frame - 640 eff is often not long enough.  however alomost anything longer is too heavy and too expensive or and of poor resolution (Sigma lenses and the Tamron 200-500 which i sold) and requires a sturdy tripod

the Canon 300 f4 is not long enough and mine doesn't perform well with a 1.4 extender (unless you have a camera with micro-adjust, you're very unlikely to get decent autofocus performance from an extender - the tolerance build up of extra glass and mechanical interfaces are beyond Canon's production capability - and i can't get get good resolution even with micro-adjust)

the Canon 400 f5.6 is super sharp corner-corner but without IS it can be hand - held only at 1/1000 sec or faster - broad daylight only, not the best time or light for a lot of wildlife.  this is mostly a tripod lens which will be too long for larger/closer animals - even birds in flight

by process of elimination it's the 100-400, warts and all.  it's versatile, hand holdable with IS, and makes consistently good 13x19 prints (at f8 with a poor copy, wide open at f5.6 with a good copy).  i've used the 100-400 in Africa, Australia, Borneo, Brazil, and many other places and gotten images that would not have been possible with a long prime or non-IS lens.

debasishroy

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 11:29:08 pm »

Hey, that is wonderful. When you say 100-400 are you referring to the Sigma and Tamron products or is it Canon? I missed that one. Sorry. So where are you based if you are still selling what you say you sold once?

stever

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 11:41:16 pm »

the Canon 100-400

the Sigma 100-400 (or whatever it is now) is not that much cheaper and not as sharp - and probably not as reliable (lensrentals.com seems to have dropped this lens - they are renting other Sigma long zooms, and their coments are worthwhile - i think the Sigmas are risky)

i'm in the U.S. and not selling any telephotos (although there are unfortunately a few other lenses gathering dust in the closet)

debasishroy

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 09:05:19 am »

Well, maybe that is a business idea. Oldlenses.com anybody who has an old lens gathering dust in the closet can sell it dirt cheap to people who may need them or appreciate them. The website would have to tie up with a logistics company such as DHL, UPS or Fedex to deliver worldwide. ;->

OnlyNorth

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 12:41:51 pm »

Hi,
Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8

debasishroy

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 11:06:13 am »

Hey Totlus, Could you please reply again? Your comment has a lot of HTML tags in it and I can't make out what you are saying. Thanks

telyt

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 03:11:52 pm »

Hey Totlus, Could you please reply again? Your comment has a lot of HTML tags in it and I can't make out what you are saying. Thanks

Looks like it was commercial spam.

debasishroy

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 08:37:46 pm »

Oh. I see. Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up