Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: "Midway" between Moab and Vegas ?  (Read 15756 times)

kate61

"Midway" between Moab and Vegas ?
« on: March 14, 2011, 09:24:01 pm »

Hi all - you were so helpful on my last trip out west I'm hoping you'll come through again. I am planning a trip to Southern Utah in the fall (late Sept) staying 2 or 3 days each in Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands/Arches.  The end of our trip will leave us in Moab. Our flight home (east coast) is out of Vegas. Rather then make the 7+ hour drive (I70 & 15) and having to take a red-eye home, I was wondering if there is a nice semi-midway point to spend an extra night, see a bit more of Utah and break up that long trip back to Vegas. We're not camping so would need a location with decent B&B/hotel/motel that would also provide some photo/exploring opportunities that could be done in an afternoon.  Thanks in advance.

davidewers

Re: "Midway" between Moab and Vegas ?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 12:37:44 am »

Its a little further than half way but I would suggest St George in Utah.

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 02:27:00 am »

I would just stop in Springdale again on the way back so you can do Zion a second time. St. George does have a Costco and In 'n' Out burger, which is awesome, but as far as scenery goes there's not much to shoot :)

Springdale to Las Vegas is easily doable in a day if you have an afternoon flight to catch. Note that the drive from Moab to Springdale, while beautiful, is a LONG driving day if you take Scenic Byway 12 (6.5 hours assuming no stops). It's much shorter going up and over, but nowhere near as pretty.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 10:13:23 am »

How are you traveling from Bryce/Zion to Arches Canyonlands?  My reply is based upon your answer.  

If you go from Page/Monument Valley on your way to Moab, I would suggest that you travel back Hanksville, Torry, Boulder on Highway 12.  It's a long drive, but the scenery makes it worth it.  You would want to try and stay in Cedar City.  It has a small town feel, but hotel rooms shouldn't be that much.  They have all the basics there.  Cedar Breaks is just up the road, and the Kolob section of Zion is about 30 mins south and being west facing, photographs well in the evening.  

If you are coming the other direction, it's a longer drive back to Vegas, without as many good options with regards to places to stay.  My best guess is staying in Page, AZ, but that still puts you like 5-6 hours from Vegas.  You could easily hit horseshoe bend for an evening shoot.

Hope this helps.  

masl

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 04:31:35 pm »

You might try a ride up 128 and then I-70 into Grand Junction CO for a return flight.  Not as many out of there but a reasonably active airport.
-Mark
[font="Verdana"][/font]Too much gear and

Peter McLennan

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 09:52:36 pm »

I'm not sure of your outbound itinerary, but Moab-Blanding-Hanksville-Torry-Boulder-Escalante-Cedar City is about as scenic as it gets.  Capitol Reef is one of my favourite Utah destinations.

cwood

• Utah & Big Island, HI
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 10:18:38 am »

As others have suggested, a return via Route 12, Cap Reef, etc., is spectacular, especially in the Fall, but it is a long drive. An alternative route if you're interested in shooting Native American rock art, is the Rochester Panel near Emery, Utah.

As for St. George, there are things to shoot here. The small and compact Snow Canyon State Park is about as fine a display of red rock as you'll find anywhere in such a small space. I find it far more interesting than Kodachrome Basin, as just one example for comparison.  Lodging on St. George Blvd. in St. George will be less expensive than Cedar City. If you time your travel correctly, you could leave Moab in the morning, easily be at Kolob Canyon for sunset and then motor on down to St. George for the night, shoot sunrise in Snow Canyon and head on to Las Vegas the back way via old Hwy 91, putting you back on I-15 just east of the Arizona/Nevada border.

If you really want to explore some possibilities, I would suggest you pick up a copy of Laurent Martres' PHOTOGRAPHING THE SOUTHWEST: UTAH edition. It is pretty much the reference standard for identifying locales, time of year/day, lenses to bring, etc.

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 10:26:39 am »

Lodging on St. George Blvd. in St. George will be less expensive than Cedar City.

Untrue.  I live here and travel with my job, so I know what I'm talking about.  Rates will be $20-$30 per night cheaper in Cedar City.  

http://maps.google.com/maps?um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=lodging+cedar+city+ut&fb=1&gl=us&hq=lodging&hnear=Cedar+City,+UT&ei=W8iATa3EJImusAO7kNyWBg&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=image&resnum=4&ved=0CBcQtgMwAw

http://maps.google.com/maps?um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=lodging+st.+george+utah&fb=1&gl=us&hq=lodging&hnear=St+George,+UT&ei=78iATdTgEYaisAPC-v35BQ&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=image&resnum=4&ved=0CBkQtgMwAw

Also, there was some talk in the legislature about shutting down service in Snow Canyon St park due to budge concerns....
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 10:29:18 am by Lonnie Utah »

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 03:40:48 pm »

Our flight home (east coast) is out of Vegas. Rather then make the 7+ hour drive (I70 & 15) and having to take a red-eye home, I was wondering if there is a nice semi-midway point to spend an extra night, see a bit more of Utah and break up that long trip back to Vegas.
Any reason you are going all the way to Vegas?  Moab is only 4 hours from the Salt Lake airport.

markadams99

• http://thelightcavalry.zenfolio.com
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 04:40:35 am »

...and SLC's not so frantic as Vegas airport. Car hire return is easier too, right at the airport. Another possibility is Boulder Interplanetary Airport a few bumpy miles off Route 12:

kate61

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 07:03:12 am »

We are flying out of Vegas because we are flying INTO Vegas since we are starting the trip in Zion. I assumed that flying into one airport and out of another (especially with a rental being returned to a different airport) would boost the expense considerably. If you think otherwise please let me know - I have not yet made flight reservations.

kate61

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 07:09:21 am »

Regarding route - we are taking the Hwy 12 / Cap Reef route on our way from Bryce to Moab - I realize it is long (and gorgeous), so wanted something shorter on the way back. Figured I70 to 15 would be shortest (again am open to other suggestions).   Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

degrub

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 09:12:08 am »

Sometimes the cost is not so different  - check with both before booking. Compare with the cost of gas and lost time.
Frank

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, 09:58:02 am »

Figured I70 to 15 would be shortest (again am open to other suggestions).   

That route might be the fastest but it's by no way the shortest.  FWIW, it's about 180 miles from the turn off on UT 191 on I-70 to the intersection of I-15.  ...

markadams99

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 11:17:32 am »

As I favour SLC over LAS I'd skip Zion to do it this way:

« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 11:20:53 am by markadams99 »

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2011, 12:19:15 pm »

^^^ Psst, you left of Zion! ;)

This is a better route from SLC...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 12:30:44 pm by Lonnie Utah »

markadams99

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011, 12:30:43 pm »

Zion - yes I left it off to shorten the route, as I said. It's a long detour my way.

There's no right answer on your route v mine from Hanksville to Moab.

Yours takes in eg Natural Bridges and Dead Horse Point and could be amended to take in Monument Valley and Goosenecks, but it's much longer.

Mine is much shorter and takes in eg Goblin Valley and Little Wild Horse Canyon. Depends on the appetite for driving versus hiking and shooting.

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 12:32:45 pm »

There's no right answer on your route v mine from Hanksville to Moab.

You've obviously never driven along UT95.  It's VASTLY superior (scenicly speaking) than UT24/I-70/UT191.  My route runs thru red rock canyons, by Lake Powell and over the comb ridge, your route runs thru broken grasslands and saline badlands.  Dead Horse point is less than 1 hour from Moab, and is best viewed at sunrise anyway....

Edit: No offense, but I live here and you live in London.  Katie, who are you going to believe?  
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 12:49:45 pm by Lonnie Utah »

markadams99

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2011, 01:21:29 pm »

Calm down. I've driven all over that region several times. I'm not in a contest with you, I'm suggesting a much shorter route that makes a lot of sense depending on priorities.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 01:24:09 pm by markadams99 »

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2011, 01:49:32 pm »

I've driven all over that region several times.

I guess that means you know more than a local?   ::)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up