Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vortex Building  (Read 3836 times)

Andres Bonilla

Vortex Building
« on: March 14, 2011, 04:48:06 pm »

I went back to Desert Springs to photograph this building, a wonderful old lady told me that this place was special because of its strong Vortex. She said that it was one of the only places in USA where all the nature elements were together; it was more powerful than the ones in Sedona.

About the processing, this is out of one RAW file; I just use a red filter for the sky, a yellow one for the midtones I liked the orange filter but it made it look to HDRish and I know how popular that is here :) It is not as straightforward Black and White as some other nice photograph posted in this forum but I am translating my subjective view of the building.

I also went to La Quinta Art Festival and in a way I felt my style validated by some of the professional photogs there....well except for one :)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Re: Vortex Building
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 12:29:28 pm »

Wow.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

francois

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 12:50:24 pm »

I like it very much, bravo!
Francois

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 02:51:40 pm »

I like the image but the processing doesn't seem right to me. It seems inconsistent. For Example why are the shadows of the beams so much deeper in the bottom left quarter than the rest of the image. Those shadows seem natural to me where as the rest of the shadows seem slightly unnaturally lightened.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 03:55:19 pm »

Very strong, I like it very much.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 04:21:26 pm »

Andres, I like it. I think it's the kind of thing Ansel would do. The filters really turned it into something striking without pushing it over the edge into HDRish territory.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

popnfresh

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 05:32:14 pm »

Your PP has made it look like a hyper-real etching. It's an interesting effect. It's not the approach that I'd take, but it is kind of cool.

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 03:22:14 pm »

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 03:22:46 pm »

I like it very much, bravo!

I am glad you like it, different building!!

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 03:26:26 pm »

I like the image but the processing doesn't seem right to me. It seems inconsistent. For Example why are the shadows of the beams so much deeper in the bottom left quarter than the rest of the image. Those shadows seem natural to me where as the rest of the shadows seem slightly unnaturally lightened.

Thanks for your input! The funny thing is that I did not work on the shadows that much; I am thinking that the wood close the floor had the dark terracota path reflecting on them while the higher ones probably got the reflecion of the cement courtyard to the left. I could maybe burn the top ones a bit but I have had mixed results with burning, I would probably use a layer.

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 03:26:59 pm »

Very strong, I like it very much.

Thank you sir, interesting location!

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 03:28:09 pm »

Andres, I like it. I think it's the kind of thing Ansel would do. The filters really turned it into something striking without pushing it over the edge into HDRish territory.

No thank you!! It is great to work on your photography with all the valuable input of this forum.

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 03:29:37 pm »

Your PP has made it look like a hyper-real etching. It's an interesting effect. It's not the approach that I'd take, but it is kind of cool.

Yes! The world would be boring if we all do the same. I am very interested to know what approach you would have chosen. Still black and white?

popnfresh

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 04:53:06 pm »

Yes! The world would be boring if we all do the same. I am very interested to know what approach you would have chosen. Still black and white?
I can't say what approach I would take without seeing the original raw file (assuming you shot it in raw). I probably would go B&W. But I doubt I'd give it the same edge-enhanced look you did. I will say that I think your extreme approach saved the shots in the previous batch you posted. You showed us the originals and I would have found them very difficult to work with. Extreme processing was called for.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 04:55:11 pm by popnfresh »

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 05:07:14 pm »

I can't say what approach I would take without seeing the original raw file (assuming you shot it in raw). I probably would go B&W. But I doubt I'd give it the same edge-enhanced look you did. I will say that I think your extreme approach saved the shots in the previous batch you posted. You showed us the originals and I would have found them very difficult to work with. Extreme processing was called for.
Thanks again for your reply! I will try to post a large jpeg version of the original RAW image, I don't know the size limit on this forum but large enough to have other photographers input and styles.

Thanks,

Andres

AndrewKulin

• http://www.andrewkulin.com
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 07:26:14 pm »

No idea what a vortex is (other than in context of tornado, whirlpool that sort of thing), but WOW!

Wonderful shot.
[size=12p
Pages: [1]   Go Up