Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upstate NY Winter  (Read 2545 times)

Kyle McBard

• Photography by Kyle McBard
Upstate NY Winter
« on: March 14, 2011, 02:43:13 am »

This is a picture I took while walking around the Cornell University campus in upstate NY this past December (2010), and friend of mine saw itand directed me to these forums.

I got a new camera last July but then I was abroad and didn't get to play with it until December, so I'm currently working toward my goal of getting my skill level up to its potential; I don't really have any "training," but I love taking pictures and would really love to improve.
(I've also recently started posting my pictures, so here's the link to the rest of the album that that picture came from: http://kmcbard.zenfolio.com/p129566045)

Thank you so much for your time!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 03:12:41 am by kmcbard »

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
Re: Upstate NY Winter
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 03:55:17 am »

I like this image, but believe it could need a little extra work:

1. Lower left corner  - seems something got in which didnt belong there.
2.I believe the image could profit from some local adaption of sharpness/blur/local contrast.
There is so much detail in it (which I like), that you could easily lower the detail/local contrast
at some areas to keep the amount of detail over the image more different and add threedimensionality.
3. B/W conversion maybe?

And: Welcome aboard!

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 06:09:46 am »

kmc

As Christoph says, welcome to LL. Looking at your picture, what strikes me is that within this scene are all the elements you needed for some really excellent work - very interesting textures and forms, which are almost monochrome in themselves and would translate easily to a B/W treatment. But (and there always is a but, isn't there) you have not really managed to transform the subject which has so much potential into a great composition. More consideration given to framing would I am sure have paid off, here. So although the subject is really interesting, the picture is not. Do not despair, however, this is only my opinion, and I am often wrong  ;)

Here is Smith's Golden Rule (which I often forget myself) -

Assuming all the purely technical aspects of taking the photograph are correctly assessed and under control (ISO, exposure, focus, depth of field etc), then only three things matter, in the following order -

1 Light

2 Subject

3 Framing (or composition, if you prefer)

Get those right, and you can't go wrong.

John

Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

Kyle McBard

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 10:42:26 am »

1. Yeahh, I think that was part of the bridge I was standing on...
2. As in having a smaller depth of field? (Maybe just the back/initial part of the falls, or the large section to the lower left, or something?)
3. I tried attaching a B/W conversion (and I cropped out the lower left blur) but the site keeps giving me an error. Unsure why. And the quality of the detail decreased (my editing software is, ah, basic), but I like how much simpler it is, and more...bold, I guess could be the word. Fewer distractions.

Thank you! It's really exciting to be able to get feedback (and look at some amazing pictures!)

Kyle McBard

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 10:49:17 am »

(Sorry, I'm still new at figuring out how replies work, as basic as that sounds)

John--

Any recommendations/ideas for how I would work on / improve the framing? (for this shot in particular and/or my shots in general)

Also, I'll try to keep those rules in mind; from what I've heard so far, they sound about right! :)

Thanks!
kyle

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 11:19:58 am »

Kyle

Well, if you were standing on a bridge, then that pinned down your viewpoint and certainly would not help. The best advice would have been to get off that bridge and get in amongst it (a bit like Patricia has been busy doing) but I do understand that such a course of action might not have been practical or very safe. One of the best bits of counsel I haver ever come across (and I can't now remember which famous photographer said it) is to "walk the shot". In other words, see your subject, assess the light, and then move around the subject from all possible viewpoints to assess the best framing options. Never, ever, be content with just pointing the camera at a scene and firing off a shot. That is one of the reasons I don't like tripods very much, because they tend to inhibit what should be a natural flow of movement around the subject. Often only two or three feet makes all the difference. What you are looking for is a picture in your viewfinder, rather than simply an image. And as to what makes a picture rather than just a snap, the best thought I can give is to study the work of the masters of this craft. There is an awful lot of good stuff out there, on the internet for free now as well as in books - absorb it through your pores.

Unlike a painter, who starts with a blank canvas and adds things to the composition, photography is a process of subtraction. One of the problems with your picture is that it has too much in it. Too many motifs and elements, all fighting each other for the viewer's attention, rather than blending into a harmonious whole. Another Smith's Rule - Every element in the picture (especially in landscape work) should be contributing to the image, not distracting from it. The process of framing - before we even think about releasing the shutter - should be measured, deliberate, and contemplative, as we seek to remove the distractions, balance the subject elements against one another, and realise our vision.

Or something like that  ;)

John
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 11:39:40 am by John R Smith »
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

popnfresh

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 01:38:14 pm »

The composition seems pretty awkward to me and the tonality is unappealing. First of all, the top and bottom portions are separated by what looks like a nearly featureless swath of grayish white paint. The top portion, with the buildings and trees, is clearly in color while the falls below are almost monochrome. The whole thing looks odd. In fact, I'm wondering why we need the buildings and trees at all. The visually interesting stuff is happening in the falls below. The trees and buildings don't do anything for me. I agree that you should have shot from a lower vantage point, which would have meant getting down closer to the falls. But again, that might have been nearly impossible and/or dangerous to do.

As for the falls, they look underexposed and the dynamic range looks compressed. The high values in the snow are gray, yet somewhat blocked. There's no impression of whiteness here.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 01:45:34 pm by popnfresh »

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 05:02:47 pm »

It's easy to stand back and look at an image without having been there, so if the bridge is the only location to shoot then it narrows your choices.  Shooting a dark background against the snow brings in real dynamic range issues so HDR might be of benefit here.  It's too dark, too gray and lacks interest.  As was mentioned, there's a featureless band running right across the frame, so to me I would look at making two different images - one of the shoreline/ building above that band and one of the water/ ice below it.  It depends on the lens(es) you have available.  If it was summer the water might serves as a blending agent - reflections tying the background and the foreground together but right now it separates them and there's nothing to link them.

Mike.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 05:05:19 pm by wolfnowl »
If your mind is attuned t

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 06:18:52 pm »

First of all, the top and bottom portions are separated by what looks like a nearly featureless swath of grayish white paint.
My thoughts exactly. I feel there's much more interest in the lower two-thirds of the shot than in the top part.

Jeremy
Pages: [1]   Go Up