Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re scrum dots, Cyan borders, ICC profiles not working, epson drivers  (Read 7593 times)

elolaugesen

Fellow sufferers:

I purchased Spyder3PrintSR. 
All of my problems appears to  now been left behind.  Everything seems?? to work as it should. 
My clients for giclees say the images look better than before.  clearer, sharper, better colors.   
Yet I used specially generated profiles (xrite) from my printed targets, sent to my supplier of paper, then generated by very expensive software and hardware.
Spyder is easy to use and I can now get on with printing without worrying about having to use the bypass procedure.

note all profiles are ICC specification 2.0     (what am i missing from 2.4 and 4.0?)
epson 3800 driver 6.57, common updater   Photoshop elements 9 and sometimes CS5  all works as it should....
MAC OSX 10.6.6, both  spyder(use the right settings for no color management)  and adobe utility print works fine for target printing
cheers elo

artobest

Re: Re scrum dots, Cyan borders, ICC profiles not working, epson drivers
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 01:20:43 pm »

I like the Spyder 3Print - it makes very good black-and-white specific profiles that have really got me out of some holes in the past.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 06:24:23 pm »

Not sure why you are suffering but glad it's working.  I have no problems using i1 and colormatch or Profile Maker.  I have a Spyder unit to test, but I'm guessing I won't like it because of the guide they offer ... the xRite one is very efficient, this one seems cumbersome and will be slower.  But I'll give it a try.  Price is certainly attractive.

elolaugesen

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 01:01:30 pm »

original problems by quite a few users.....

The issue has to do with the printer travelling the entire page and printing a small grey/cyan shadow all around the images...

see the threads below...

Adobe Forums: Problems printing out of PS CS5 with...

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3172530#3172530
Adobe Forums: Printing out of CS5 on Epson 7900

Apple - Support - Discussions - Epson Stylus 4800 prints cyan cast
Apple - Support - Discussions - Colorsync Engine is still not working

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 03:37:46 pm »

original problems by quite a few users.....

The issue has to do with the printer travelling the entire page and printing a small grey/cyan shadow all around the images...

see the threads below...

Adobe Forums: Problems printing out of PS CS5 with...

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3172530#3172530
Adobe Forums: Printing out of CS5 on Epson 7900

Apple - Support - Discussions - Epson Stylus 4800 prints cyan cast
Apple - Support - Discussions - Colorsync Engine is still not working

agreed ... issue has been known for some time ... but solution simple and straight forward ... set the software to create version 2 profiles. Nothing special about the spyder, they can all make version 2 profiles.  Some just default to v4 out of the box.

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 07:28:09 pm »

agreed ... issue has been known for some time ... but solution simple and straight forward ... set the software to create version 2 profiles. Nothing special about the spyder, they can all make version 2 profiles.  Some just default to v4 out of the box.

Are you sure that Spyder does not create V4 profiles like MonacoProfiler that does not have this scrum dot problem?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 07:47:44 pm »

Not all V4 profiles produce the scum dot.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

adammork

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 02:07:22 am »

Not sure why you are suffering but glad it's working.  I have no problems using i1 and colormatch or Profile Maker.  I have a Spyder unit to test, but I'm guessing I won't like it because of the guide they offer ... the xRite one is very efficient, this one seems cumbersome and will be slower.  But I'll give it a try.  Price is certainly attractive.
Unfortynatly I still have the problems, even with V2 profiles, it's not as strong as with V4 profiles, they appear a lot weaker, but it's still there if you look after it.

I'm also using i1 and PM 5 - I have tried building profiles with both OS 10.5 and OS 10.6 same result... Cyan border when printing from OS 10.6 no from OS 10.5 - I'm mainly printing from Lightroom but PS does the same.....

After wasting a lot of time on this, my only workaround so far is to leave OS 10.5 on one of the Mac's and print from there.

I'm normal printing on a 4900, All macs, drivers and programmes in latest versions.

I will be thankfull for surgestions to overcome this!

Very Best
Adam
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 02:41:20 am by adammork »

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 07:07:37 am »

Unfortynatly I still have the problems, even with V2 profiles, it's not as strong as with V4 profiles, they appear a lot weaker, but it's still there if you look after it.

I'm also using i1 and PM 5 - I have tried building profiles with both OS 10.5 and OS 10.6 same result... Cyan border when printing from OS 10.6 no from OS 10.5 - I'm mainly printing from Lightroom but PS does the same.....

After wasting a lot of time on this, my only workaround so far is to leave OS 10.5 on one of the Mac's and print from there.

I'm normal printing on a 4900, All macs, drivers and programmes in latest versions.

I will be thankfull for surgestions to overcome this!

Very Best
Adam

Yes I have seen exactly the same thing with PM5 generated profiles.

Have you tried different Gamut Mappings especially LOGO colorful?

Doyle

jwlimages

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 03:17:54 pm »

--  yes, I see this same issue with v2 profiles made with PM5 (this is Snow Leopard, printing thru the Epson driver to a 7880).

However, using profiles built with Pulse ColorElite (the old Monaco Profiler engine, I believe) results in no "scum dot" at all. Go figure?

John

JWL Images
Emeryville, CA

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 04:40:13 pm »

And you are not using an Absolute Colorimetric intent right?

adammork

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 08:33:17 am »

Yes I have seen exactly the same thing with PM5 generated profiles.

Have you tried different Gamut Mappings especially LOGO colorful?

Doyle

Not yet, since I like the LOGO classic best - could there be a difference here?

And you are not using an Absolute Colorimetric intent right?

I'm using Perceptual when printing.

is there any indication that the new i1 Photo Pro could be a solution when it's available or are there other software to look at now?

again thanks

/adam

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 10:24:52 am »

is there any indication that the new i1 Photo Pro could be a solution when it's available or are there other software to look at now?

Well there’s no scum dots. But then I don’t get them using PMP with Logo Chroma Plus when I print using a Perceptual intent.

So no scum dot when printing RelCol? Because if so, that tells us a lot about where the issue manifests itself.

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 05:28:05 pm »

10.6.7 is out. http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1361

If there are any fixes in this release for the scrum dot colorsync issue, there is no mention of it in the documentation.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 04:46:32 pm »

Not all V4 profiles produce the scum dot.
I did not pay any attention to this thread since I've not noticed any issues with prints from my 3880.  I have profiled all my papers with ColorMunki and associated software.  I just went back to check to see what version the profiles were and they are version 4 profiles.  I do all my printing from Lightroom on a Win7 PC.  I'm just curious, is this only a MAC issue?

na goodman

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 08:57:37 pm »

I think it is just a Mac issue. I ended up setting up a pc as a print server and send all my printing through that and have no issues. It doesn't matter if it is a V4 or V2 profile, everything just works. I do all of my editing on my Mac and just print thru the pc.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 09:15:04 am »

I think it is just a Mac issue. I ended up setting up a pc as a print server and send all my printing through that and have no issues. It doesn't matter if it is a V4 or V2 profile, everything just works. I do all of my editing on my Mac and just print thru the pc.
Thanks, that's what I assumed.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2011, 10:05:12 am »

There’s more than one scum dot issue and its not necessarily solely and Apple issue but there appears to be ONE that is attributed to either Apple/Adobe/Epson combo depending on who you talk to.

For you Apple users who are getting this scum dot issue, what happens when you print out of Preview?

elolaugesen

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2011, 05:29:07 pm »

Hi Guys.   first of all MAC OSX 10.6.7 does not fix the problem...

however as mentioned elsewhere I bought Spyder3 Print SR and all now works perfectly........... no scrum dots. no printer misbehaving etc....

it generates ICC profiles 2.0.       profiles are great...  my clients actually think the giclee prints on fine art paper using MK inks are better than with the old profiles.
it is a easy to use.   be careful and it all works.....
cheers elo

stefano

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2011, 05:51:05 pm »

I just re-profiled some some BC Lyve canvas with my Munki, this time setting it for v2 profiles. Scum dots disappeared, and now the white border is just that, as one would expect. Printing on an Epson 4900 via Photoshop CS5 and latest Epson driver, Mac OS 10.6.7.
The only thing that changed is the version of the profile, cyan border with v4, no border with v2. Now that I have both profiles, I can reproduce the behavior very reliably. Looks like I have some more re-profiling to do...

Thanks all for the tips,

Stefano
Pages: [1]   Go Up