Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Camera movements vs digital fixes  (Read 2407 times)

larkis

• My photography blog
Camera movements vs digital fixes
« on: March 12, 2011, 01:15:12 pm »

Can anyone think of any examples (besides depth of field adjustments ) where movements on a real view camera can't be replicated digitally ? Sure correcting for keystoning/perspective distortion requires cropping the image and loosing resolution but are there any examples where real camera movements can't be simulated digitally ?

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
Re: Camera movements vs digital fixes
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 01:37:30 pm »

Can anyone think of any examples (besides depth of field adjustments ) where movements on a real view camera can't be replicated digitally ? Sure correcting for keystoning/perspective distortion requires cropping the image and loosing resolution but are there any examples where real camera movements can't be simulated digitally ?

I've yet to come by a software that allows you to move the focus plane in the same way tilt & swing do. There are solutions that blur/ sharpen different parts of the image to create a tilted/ shifted look but none of them can be carefully controlled
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 02:25:12 pm »

If it was just lose of resolution across the frame I think it would be less problematic. But perspective correction in-raw rather than in-camera reduces resolution progressively as you approach the edge of the frame, creating a situation where anyone can see one area of the final product is very detailed and another area of the final product is soft/smeared.

In Capture One when using the in-raw perspective correction you can use the "sharpness falloff correction" slider to progressively compensate for this intra-frame fall-off in resolution, but of course you can't restore detail that wasn't captured - only make it look as good as possible.

For emulating small movements using a good camera/lens the difference can be minimal. But even for moderate movements the difference can be pretty dramatic.

In some situations, such as when the sky or a solid textureless ceiling is the part of the frame being de-facto stretched during in-raw perspective correction it couldn't matter less. In some situations, such as when the corner of the final-frame will be a highly detailed and important-to-the-client architectural feature the quality will quickly disappoint.

There are an amazing variation in your options and their resulting image quality:
- A 22mp 35mm dSLR with an AA filter and a good-but-not-stunning prime wide-angle tilted up 10 degrees and adjusted in post
- a 22mp 35mm dSLR with an AA filter and a good-but-not-stunning wide tilt-shift-lens shifted in-camera
- a 22mp digital back with no AA filter on a tech camera with stunning wide-angle lens shifted in-camera
- an 80mp digital back with no AA filter on a tech camera with a four-panel in-image-circle stitch on a slightly longer lens
- dozens of other workflow combinations

All these options also require vastly different amounts of time at the time of capture and during post processing. They also vary drastically in your ability to show a close-to-final image to an art director or client during the shoot. Only you can decide what will best fulfill your and your clients needs/desires/standards.

I will say that the ability now to do the perspective correction at the raw level while tethering (or untethered) in Capture One Pro 6 has made that workflow a lot less tedious. That said, I'd still take a PC lens or tech camera any day of the week over doing it in post - it's such a cleaner workflow and the quality difference (to me) is big.

As Yair points out, placement of the focus plane is not something possible in software*.

*3D capture/rendering techniques and/or Depth of Field stacking can get you there, but given the amount of time needed in those workflows it's almost always better to just capture it with a system that allows placement of the focus plane

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

ChristopherBarrett

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 03:23:20 pm »

Consider the simple act of composing the image...  Having to digitally correct even a slight rotation in order to retain a one point perspective versus just shifting a camera back a few millimeters seems like a nightmare.  It's so easy to line up a technical camera plumb and square to architecture and then shift the back around for composition, much easier and faster and BETTER than correcting digitally.

Imagine if you want to composite multiple images (as I almost always do)... you'd have to do all your retouching and THEN straighten the picture, and you'd never be able to go back to an earlier version and get it to line up the same again, I mean not if you're really fastidious in your work.

all from my perspective of course..

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 03:51:22 pm »

Hi,

This article of mine discusses some aspects (please click on the images for 1:1 views):

http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/index.php/photoarticles/29-handling-the-dof-trap

My take is that the comments are valid, but digital correction is actually easy at least if using the best tools. Each approach has it's benefits.

You may also check this:
http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/index.php/photoarticles/44-things-to-do-with-multiple-images

Best regards
Erik

I've yet to come by a software that allows you to move the focus plane in the same way tilt & swing do. There are solutions that blur/ sharpen different parts of the image to create a tilted/ shifted look but none of them can be carefully controlled
Erik Kaffehr

BillOConnor

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 02:01:01 pm »

Some movements can be approximated in software, but the back movements on the view camera, which alter perspective and focus, simultaneously, are unavailable to fixed lens photographers. I really miss them, and hope to purchase the equipment to have them back.
Pages: [1]   Go Up