Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 4900 cutter  (Read 2227 times)

stefano

Epson 4900 cutter
« on: March 12, 2011, 07:33:01 am »

Greetings all,

I have been reading contrasting statement in teh manual of my new 4900 and in several of teh online reviews about the ability of the built in cutter to cut art paper. I am setting up to print my first roll of BC Vibrance Rag (325 gsm) and before I damage the cutter i am curious if anyone here has any experience with using similar papers with the 4900 auto cutter.

If it turns out that the built in cutter is a no go, how do you cut your prints? can the paper be manually fed forward after the print and then rewound on the roll? What is the best cutting implement to use for slicing he print off the roll?

Sorry for the newbie questions, it is a brand new world for me :)

stefano

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
Re: Epson 4900 cutter
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 09:06:16 am »

I'm planning to upgrade my 4000 to a 4900 and have been following the chatter closely.  I have yet to see a reference in actual use to an issue with the cutter.  If I recollect correctly, someone, maybe Mark Segal? spoke with Epson regarding the reference in the manual and it seems that the reference was simply an error in not updating from older content and there's no issue with canvas or the heavier roll papers.

stefano

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 09:40:52 am »

Tim,

after doing some more Googleing and reading your comment I decided to give it a try - Success! The cutter makes perfect neat cuts on BC Vibrance Rag, and it appears to do so effortlessly. I just printed a thickness pattern and the fist test chart from my colormunki, using the auto cutter.

By the end of the day I am planning to go through a 20' roll with a few test prints. At this point I plan to use teh auto cutter throughout, will get back to the forum if any problems occur.

Thanks,

Stefano

Farmer

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 03:54:08 pm »

There should be no problem cutting that media, although it obviously it may wear out a little sooner than for thinner/lighter media.

Take the time to check for dust after a number of cuts (perhaps weekly) and if need be, get a vacuum nozzle (plastic, and with the printer off and disconnected!) in there along the platten area where it cuts.  Thicker/heavier media tends to create more dust when being cut.
Phil Brown

stefano

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 05:45:01 pm »

Farmer,

thanks for the tip, I will definitely keep an eye on the dust around the platen. For now after about 15-20 cuts I don't see any evidence of dust, and both the cutter and the printer are working beautifully!

Stefano

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 11:11:44 pm »

from what I've read the cutter is outside the platen area and dust from the cutter shouldn't be problem.  But depending on your environment, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea for a vacuum every now and then anyway.
Mike Guilbault

Farmer

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 02:27:08 am »

You're right, Mike, that it's not directly in the same area, but dust accumulates there still.
Phil Brown
Pages: [1]   Go Up