Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's the best parameter when shooting raw  (Read 4164 times)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
What's the best parameter when shooting raw
« on: July 10, 2005, 09:08:48 am »

The RAW data is linear encoded so if you saw the actual histogram, it would look very strange to you (all pushed over to the left side). I’m not sure what you can do but test and “extroplate’ how a JPEG histogram would look (bad) based on the RAW linear data. It might be useful if we could see the actual linear histogram but you’d have to learn how to interpret it. Currently, the situation on the tiny LCD, seeing only about half the data based on the wrong rendering (JPEG), this is all a bit difficult to do.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

TeddyLoves

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 04:25:34 am »

you may thought i was stupid to ask this question because the parameters tell the camera how to convert raw data into jpg images (shooting in jpg mode)
however, ive recently learned that when the camera displays the histogram of an image, it displays the histogram of the jpg result, not the raw data. so, the way we set the parameters will affect the way the histograms displayed. and i have no idea how to set these parameters so that the histogram will display most accurately possible?? (for a 20D and for a 1DsII to be specific, since the 20D displays 1 histogram and the 1DsII displays histograms for separate channels)

eliedinur

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005, 06:37:38 pm »

I don't think this is a stupid question at all. The contrast parameter will indeed change the spread of the histogram of the embedded jpg and if it is set to a high setting this could give a false indication of clipping - because the jpg has been clipped although the raw data is safely below the maximum 4095 level.
For this reason I set my camera's contrast to the minimum.
On the other hand, although I turn off sharpening in the raw converter, in the camera it is set to maximum because I feel that this gives me the best indication of DOF when I try to judge it from the review image on the lcd.
Elie
Roll over Ed Weston,
Tell Ansel Adams th
Pages: [1]   Go Up