Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon mounting plate for Horseman 4x5  (Read 5241 times)

trentf

Canon mounting plate for Horseman 4x5
« on: March 11, 2011, 12:52:36 pm »

I did a search and did not come up with any info...  I am wanting to put my 1Ds mark 3 on my Horseman...  I contacted B&H and was told there was not an adapter.  I know they have the LD system...  But I do not need that.  Has anyone done this...  I also googled this and found nothing.

AFairley

Re: Canon mounting plate for Horseman 4x5
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 01:14:54 pm »

Not exactly what you're looking for, and I believe it was home made (scroll down in link)

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=51911.0

elf

Lightbox

• http://www.shaunquinlan.com
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 05:56:07 pm »

Although the above product is a ready to go solution, after building my own version there are a few problems with its design. For starters the Canon sensor is tiny in comparison to a sheet of 4x5 film or even 6x4.5 which the tech camera was designed for, so you have to use the lens standard fairly close to the sensor to achieve focus. On a DSLR the sensor is already buried deep within the camera, then having the camera mounted onto an extension tube puts the sensor even further from the rear standard plane, severely limiting the use of tilt & swing, the front and rear standards will have to be very close together leaving little room for movement. The other problem with the extension tube design is that the image circle cast from the lens will start to create a shadow onto the sensor with only a small amount of movement, due to the small size of the sensor and the fact it is sitting down the end of a tunnel so to speak.

Here's an image showing how I made my bag bellows and camera mount to keep the sensor as "exposed" as possible -

Also I wouldn't trust mounting my camera and having it hang of the lens mount, especially not from a cheap 3rd party extension tube, recipe for dead camera...

elf

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 09:44:07 pm »

I agree, the homemade solution will work better. My bellows setup is similar to yours, but I didn't use any parts from a large format camera :) http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=34499.0

Ideally, you would want the sensor plane to be in the same plane as the ground glass so you could compose and focus the entire image at once.  I think a 5x7 view camera would make a better starting point or use one of the new m4/3rds cameras.

Lightbox

• http://www.shaunquinlan.com
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 06:07:57 am »

Wow impressive setup and looks like you have a more tooled up workshop than me!

trentf

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 10:46:39 am »

Thanks guys for the replies....  Now I really do not know what to do....

elf

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 06:27:48 pm »

I'd recommend starting with the sliding adaptor to see if it meets your needs.  It's relatively inexpensive and can be resold on ebay if it doesn't work for you.  Typically on a DSLR you only need a couple of degrees of tilt or swing for landscape work, so it may work well for you.

Ray R

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 07:15:23 pm »

Just followed this method (on a 5D Mk2)

www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/canon-view-camera.html

It has moved the sensor on the camera too far back to focus my 65mm lens with a recessed board at infinity.

I cannot get the 90mm to focus either, but the lens board I have for the 65mm is deeper so I need to swap it to the 90 and try it.

The problem is the body of the camera comes forward and so has to be moved away from the board.

I bought the extension tubes off ebay for about £7, and already had a lens board to use.

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 07:23:21 pm »

Thanks guys for the replies....  Now I really do not know what to do....

Nor have you said why you want to do this. What are your expectations for this setup?
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

Ray R

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 08:45:39 am »

No I cannot get the 90mm to focus either.

I could get the sensor closer to the board - 2-3 mm possibly. I have also placed the lens mount on the inside of the lens board in order to make the fixing of the camera mount sturdier, and this is stopping the lens getting closer.

May have a look later in the week.

Ray

trentf

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 10:14:10 am »

I do not really a have "reason" I want to do this other than I want to...  I think the reason is a moot point.  I have an extra 1Dsmark 3 and a Horseman 4x5 sitting here.  I used to do a lot of commercial advertising portraits with the 4x5 and thought it could be be fun.  I was only wondering if anyone has/had done this...  Horseman makes a complete camera setup but I am not going to purchase one to play around.
I really appreciate all the input.

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 11:43:01 am »

Fun is a fine reason. I asked because allot of LF camera owners think that putting their DSLR on their VC would be a great way to do stitching, add swings and tilts etc. to their DSLR. But usually their goal is better served by going another route.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

trentf

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 03:04:09 pm »

I see... no,  just wanted to play around. But do not really want a make work project.  I though it would be fun to play with when I had the time

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 06:18:10 am »

I use a Graflok fixed adapter I bought off Ebay for my Canon DSLR. It works well enough on my Sinar X. Due to the barrel though it is quite limited in shift as I think light is bouncing inside the barrel.

It does allow some nice still lifes with my 180mm Macro Rodenstock lens from the film era.
Pages: [1]   Go Up