Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Switches  (Read 2720 times)

RobReuthal

Switches
« on: March 11, 2011, 06:23:38 am »

At an old closed Factory .
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 11:50:48 am by RobReuthal »

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Re: Switches
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 03:21:50 pm »

Interesting... if it was me I'd probably crop both images roughly in half vertically and arrange them into one diptych...

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 05:37:44 pm »

...I'd probably crop both images roughly in half vertically....

Arrrrrgh!
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

fredjeang

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 08:38:49 pm »

;D Mike, did you say it on purpose?

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 12:40:00 am »

I was aware of the (probable) effect it would have on Russ, I'll admit it, but I believe that both images are unbalanced - a lot of subject, texture, etc. on one side, and basically nothing on the other side.  To me, the obvious answer was to combine them into one image and make a diptych of them.  Sometimes you have to risk the lions...  I trust Rob doesn't mind, and I did this very quickly (you'd probably want to make them both the same size), but I think they go well together.

Mike.

EDIT:  Rob took offense to my illustration of how I saw his work, so I apologize to him and I've removed the image I created.  This IS the User Critiques section and MOST people don't mind if someone plays with the work they've put up here, but apparently Rob does and he's also entitled to have an opinion.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 04:05:22 pm by wolfnowl »

RobReuthal

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 07:15:09 am »

I don´t  know why people means they must edit my photos ?  You also go to a paint artist,  snap his brush to show him where the painting looks like you wish ? ;D I think the artis stick it in your ear (or elsewhere) !  :D..I say it again..yo are very funny people here !

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 10:56:54 am »

This is the "user critiques" forum.
What do you expect?

Critique means something isn't perfect, right?
If its not perfect change is due, right?

So suggestion for change is part of critique.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=critique
and
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=critical&searchmode=none

RobReuthal

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 11:48:33 am »

O.K. I think I´ve a short stand here if THIS is the "normality" at this community, goodbye and have much fun further  ;D

ps..NOBODY have to edit my images before ask me and have my O.K. !
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 12:02:12 pm by RobReuthal »

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 12:18:17 pm »

O.K. I think I´ve a short stand here if THIS is the "normality" at this community, goodbye and have much fun further  ;D

What a strange chap.

Jeremy

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 12:52:00 pm »

What a strange chap.

Jeremy
Indeed.
It might have helped if he had read the other extensive thread on the topic of whether it is OK to edit someone else's images in the critique section.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 02:24:12 pm »

* Christoph C. Feldhaim shrugs ...

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 03:15:02 pm »

WHOA!!!! I just took a spin through the carefully considered thoughts and offerings re: images submitted in "critique". Not sure what is the German word for critique...maybe it's the language barrier, or tunnel vision, but maybe Rob's arrived via  parallel universe we've been glimpsing time to time of late...
A common woman~

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 04:20:35 pm »

Hi Mike,

It looks that your reframings are sort of very closed to the divine proportion (I have not measured but to my eyes it pretty matches)

I'm still with the originals in the sense that the blur background IMO plays an emotional role. But it's completly subjective. Your approach is also "right" (no right-wrong to me)  because you tell one story, you isolate what appeared to you to be the subject.

Difficult dilema.

Maybe Russ is right in essence, not cropping avoid to have to make dilemas. You got it, or not. If not, well not loosing time on composition in pp.  Before I was pretty much in favor of thinking the pp stage as a sort of "second shooting", now I'm going more and more towards Russ's vision about the cropping in my own works. I avoid them. I must say that it is much more demanding, but...what a peace!
Post-prod is such demanding, in advertising or fine-arts, that having the closest possible results from the shooting (lightning, framing) is an enormous time saver. Because when a crop is involved, there is not one crop but infinite possibilities. And here the brain starts to play tricks.

There seems to be a divide between those who alter their images (and that includes cropping, collage, etc.) and those who don't.  Vincent Versace has said he never crops his images.  Some of John Paul Caponigro's work on the other hand, one will never see in nature.  I swing both ways.  Being a film shooter for most of my life, I learned early on to get the image as close as I could in camera.  In the early years I didn't have a darkroom, so I was excluded from that secondary part of the processing, although at a couple of different periods I was able to work with a lab guy to get more of what I wanted.  With digital there is more control, but also as you say an infinity of options.  I agree; there is NO right or wrong way, only preferences.  Everyone sees the world differently and always will.  What I appreciate about this forum is that we can interchange ideas of how we see things.  However, some people like Rob take offense to that.  He also gets an opinion and a right to have his work treated as he sees fit, so I've removed my edit of his work out of respect for him.

Mike.
Pages: [1]   Go Up