Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: You’d Better Have Permission To Shoot  (Read 4449 times)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
You’d Better Have Permission To Shoot
« on: March 11, 2011, 02:07:32 am »

http://via.pulsene.ws/151Sh

Worth a read...

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

RFPhotography

Re: You’d Better Have Permission To Shoot
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 07:29:59 am »

Common sense really.  Not sure any true professional would do otherwise.

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 07:42:49 am »

Any chance we can get some relevant quotes?  Big Buddha doesn't think what's at that link would be good for me.
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 08:31:06 am »

Mike, Where are these laws supposed to apply? That .ws country code is for Western Samoa. She shows some U.S. National Park forms, and I suspect most pros are aware of the (probably unconstitutional) restrictions there, but what she's saying about public places in general simply is wrong.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 09:08:21 am »

I can understand the need for City co-operation for big shoots or movies, but that the shot in the desert required somebody doing all that mucking about - and paying money for it to boot - boggles the mind.

What in hell is the world coming to?

Rob C

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 03:20:40 pm »

Russ:  You'd have to ask Chase Jarvis or his assistant Kate - I found the link on Twitter from another photographer and passed on the link.  Don't shoot the piano player!   ;D

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 03:39:06 pm »

Mike, Okay, I'll let the hammer down. One thing I should have added when I said the info on public places is wrong is that that's in the United States. I don't know what other countries are doing.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 06:43:40 pm »

I can understand the need for City co-operation for big shoots or movies, but that the shot in the desert required somebody doing all that mucking about - and paying money for it to boot - boggles the mind.

What in hell is the world coming to?

Rob C

Rob, it is not just a desert, but a national park. And there is a quite reasonable explanation why the permit is needed. Government writing style is usually rather dry, but this time I felt I shall let them state their case in their own words (bold emphasis mine):

"...While... National Park encompasses some of the most unique, spectacular and ecologically and culturally significant resources in the world, these resources are extremely fragile and irreplaceable. These include not only tangible resources, such as wildlife, plants, bodies of waters, thermal and other geological features, historic buildings and archeological sites, but also intangible values such as tranquility, solitude, wide open spaces, sounds of nature, and clear night skies. The National Park Service (NPS) is mandated to protect all resources, "to conserve the scenery and the natural and historic objects and the wildlife therein and to provide for the enjoyment of the same in such a manner and by such means as will leave them unimpaired for the enjoyment of future generations" (16 U.S.C. 1). For this purpose the Department of Interior developed RM-53, to govern filming, photography and sound recordings in national parks.

... While... [national park] offers a vast range of unparalleled film and photographic opportunities, these activities are subject to certain restrictions and considerations and require close supervision in the interest of protecting the park’s rare and delicate resources, while ensuring visitor experiences are not impacted.

By "supervision" they have in mind assigning a ranger to the crew for the duration of their stay.

As if it is not enough that ads are everywhere*, driving us crazy on a daily basis, the last thing I would like to encounter while in a national park (apart from bears and mountain lions, of course) is the scene of shooting one of those commercials, thank you very much. And if I have to, at least I can take solace in knowing they had to pay for it.

In this particular case, since the Joshua tree is barely visible in the ad, they could have found a similar one anywhere near the park, without all the hassle.

P.S. If I were in charge, I would have increased their fee tenfold, as a punishment for the cheesy ad line. Camel toe!? Seriously!?  :)

* How about this for extreme ad placement: airport bathroom mirrors!?

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 01:34:39 am »

That sounds a bit like this policy which irritates quite a few visitors to Wat Rung Khun.. but those of us who have been here a while totally understand.

----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 03:56:15 am »

[while ensuring visitor experiences are not impacted.[/i]

By "supervision" they have in mind assigning a ranger to the crew for the duration of their stay.

* How about this for extreme ad placement: airport bathroom mirrors!?

Hi Slobodan

I'd have imagined that any sentient being would have required but the knowledge of the possibility of an encounter with a rattler or tarantula to stay away.

Bathroom fixtures? Which bathroom fixtures?

Puzzled, from Spain.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 01:19:30 pm »

... I'd have imagined that any sentient being would have required but the knowledge of the possibility of an encounter with a rattler or tarantula to stay away.

Bathroom fixtures? Which bathroom fixtures?

Puzzled, from Spain.

Ahhhmm... The idea is not to protect the crew from the rattler and tarantula, but to protect the critters from the crew. :)

And for the "puzzled":

Mirror Ads Introduced Inside Airport Bathrooms

Rob C

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 05:16:28 am »

Thanks for the info: I can't say I take to any of that - it's just more intrusion into one's life, however clever the disguise. Trust me, the next step (unless it's already there) will be cameras within the stalls.

The power of money to take away your peace and tranquillity is ever increasing. 1984.

Rob C

Jason Denning

• http://www.jasondenning.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 02:52:42 pm »

Great article, it's a shame they didn't make better use of Joshua Tree national park in the ad though, it's such a beautiful place.
Pages: [1]   Go Up