Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommendations on a (relatively) cheap MF system  (Read 3669 times)

Fump

Recommendations on a (relatively) cheap MF system
« on: March 10, 2011, 07:37:48 pm »

First, if this has been covered I apologize. I didn't find anything that answered my question via search.

Background: I'm a professional, mostly action with some portraiture. I started many years ago with a Canon AE-1 (like half the world) and have moved through several film bodies and digital bodies and now shoot with a Canon 7D (LOVE the autofocus system) and several thousand dollars worth of lenses. It pays, but it's lost its charm.

I've been playing with an Agfa Billy Compur (that I took apart, cleaned and repaired, of course) and it has brought back a lot of the "I want to go out and shoot random things I find" mentality that I've been missing lately so now I want to get a bit more serious about it. I have next to no experience with MF systems, I've used a Hasselblad 503CW a couple times and then there's the random 100 year old cameras laying around my shelves, but I want to buy a body with a waist level finder, a 120 back and a wide-angle lens, possibly with a normal, as well.

I've looked at a couple Pentax 67 systems but, honestly, I have a few SLRs already and I want something different. I have no professional aspirations for this, just something to spark my interest in shooting for the sake of shooting.

So, the question: With a budget of $800 or less, what would you buy to have fun with? Cheaper is better.

edit: confused numbers, as usual
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 07:42:10 pm by Fump »

RobertJ

Re: Recommendations on a (relatively) cheap MF system
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 09:51:13 pm »

For a little over $1,000 at KEH.com, you could buy a Mamiya RZ67 Pro 2 with a 110mm f/2.8 W lens and a 120 6x7 back to use professionally AND have fun with. :)

Or for fun, you could get a 6x6 Yashica  MAT 124G in amazing condition for $400 or something (search "yashica mat" at KEH.com).

itsskin

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 12:59:38 am »

Another vote for RB\RZ 67. Best lenses for the price they are right now.

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 05:28:16 am »

The OP has said that he wants MF, a WLF, and a wide lens. That, unfortunately, makes things rather more difficult for $800. I would have suggested a 'Blad 500 C/M, but to get a 50mm lens rather than the the 80mm Planar will push the cost up too far, probably.

Having said that, you will find that 80mm seems a lot wider than than you might think on the square 6x6 format, so you might be pleasantly surprised. The Yashica 124G is certainly worth considering for cheap fun - I had one, and the optical quality is very good indeed.

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

ondebanks

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 05:50:38 am »

Not sure if the weight of the bigger Mamiyas will suit that "I want to go out and shoot random things I find" approach.

I'd suggest a very portable Mamiya 645 Pro model (with optional WLF for that traditional MF authenticity!) with a couple of lenses: 44/2.8 or 55/2.8 N wideangle, 80/1.9 normal. Should come in under $800. Check e.g. KEH.com

Ray

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 06:12:22 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mamiya_C220

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mamiya_C330

I agree with this suggestion.  You should be able to find a body and lenses in good condition on Ebay within the price constraints stated.

AlBowers

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 11:17:08 am »

I second John Smith's recommendation with a slight addition: when you wish to add to your system, the most extensive "cheap" (aka "old") system to add to are V-system Hasselblads. If decided to go digital, by being careful you could go digital capture for less than a full investment of $5000 USD (all used, of course). Or a wide lens (assuming you start with the 80mm) added for an additional $500. A telephoto for $400. Longer? Additional about the same. Wider? Possible but about $800 more. Meter prism? Sure, $300. And so on...
Careful, its addicting!  :D My bag weighs a little less than 30lbs, BEFORE the tripod...
Al Bowers

c_soars

• DIN27
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 12:12:09 pm »

Bronica SQ-A with WLF and PS 50mm should fit the bill for affordability, nice build quality and a useful WLF (6x6). You can forgo the grip, but it's still a handful.  Basically Japanese hasselblad copy with leaf shutter lenses and a whole modular system to expand into if you want (grips, winders, prisms, etc).  As Bronica is dead and gone, prices are cheap on this dead system.

I have a Rolleicord Va with a 75mm schneider xenar that's light (875 g), fun and quirky, but it's not a camera for spontaneous use.  Cost ~$300 off the 'Bay plus another $160 or so for a thorough CLA (misaligned lens panel, etc).  But now it's working perfectly and all controls are wonderfully smooth. And it's gorgeous to look at on the shelf when not shooting.  I grabbed a Rick Oleson fresnel screen and Rollei Bay 1 hood to increase ease of use.

Mamiya C-series TLR may get you wide with a WLF, but they are 500-700 g more than the 'cord. 

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 12:04:49 pm »

For wide angle a MF Rangefinder might help.

I myself own a Mamiya Universal/Press kit with 6x9 cm magazines and the 50 mm and 75 mm lenses are simply great.
I'll sell it in the future, since I want true movements, but thats another story.
So - if you don't need built-in exposure automatic and can work with a coupled rangefinder, this is a relatively cheap solution.
The problem is to get a good copy of the camera and lenses.

EinstStein

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 12:11:19 am »

I'd recommend old Fuji.
For around or less than $800, try the used Fuji fixed lens 690. You can have both the 65mm lens version and the 90mm lens version.
The 90mm is sort of the standard lens,like the 50mm in 35format, while the 65mm is about the 35mm in 35 format. You get 6x9 film size.
This is no WLF, not a SLR, but like a big Leica M. The biggest problem is, if I may say so, it's not digital capable.

A better, my opinion, but more expensive choice is Fuji GX680. It's WLF SLR. 6x8 film size, a lot of movements (tilt, shift), this is the largest medium format, or the smallest large format.  
You also has the choice to use digital back. You can even get a stitch back adapter that gives you effectively 4x larger sensor area. No other medium format camera can do this yet.
About a year ago, GX680 had been sold on ebay and luminous-landscape for more or less $2000, complete system(full outfit, 3~4 lenses, etc.etc.).

The above would be the absolute cheapest.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 02:45:17 pm by EinstStein »

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 06:34:09 am »

The OP has said that he wants MF, a WLF, and a wide lens. That, unfortunately, makes things rather more difficult for $800. I would have suggested a 'Blad 500 C/M, but to get a 50mm lens rather than the the 80mm Planar will push the cost up too far, probably.

Having said that, you will find that 80mm seems a lot wider than than you might think on the square 6x6 format, so you might be pleasantly surprised. The Yashica 124G is certainly worth considering for cheap fun - I had one, and the optical quality is very good indeed.

John

There was a Rolleiflex twin lens reflex with a wide angle lens. But not a lot were made, so it is probably somewhat of a collector's item and thus expensive.

I'd say, if you must have wide-angle, forego the waist level finder and get Fujian or Mamiya MF rangefinder.

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2011, 02:20:04 pm »

There was a Rolleiflex twin lens reflex with a wide angle lens. But not a lot were made, so it is probably somewhat of a collector's item and thus expensive.

I'm afraid that you are absolutely correct. The Rollei Wide TLR was always rare, and now the prices are in the stratosphere. A lovely camera, though. Even the stock Rollei f2.8 80mm TLRs are more expensive than the same era Hasselblad, if they are in good condition.

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

eightfps

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 12:37:20 am »

With the drop of certain systems, it is CERTAINLY doable.

One of the competitors for the Hasselblad in the 6x6 format was the Bronica SQ-A system
With luck, a complete system w/ WLF, 80mm lens and 40mm lens will run you close to your $800 budget.

EinstStein

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 01:42:13 am »

Indeed, Bronica is dirt cheap. Not only a complete outfit costs around 4400, a lot of lenses costs only ~$100. 
keh,com has it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up