Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Little River / Released to Spring  (Read 5282 times)

Patricia Sheley

Little River / Released to Spring
« on: March 10, 2011, 06:57:05 pm »

Couple questions if anyone has a chance. Last five days have been amazing for working the local waters. One..have a nice group I like, but include water droplets on the lense...just no way to keep it dry exposure to exposure but tried...you can see several out of focus in this shot, but have several that are quite nice yet contain almost well defined droplets...thoughts on including them...

Also...really got forced into high ISO's on these...the velocity was so great that all water definition was lost at the ISO's I most often shoot, did anyway, but also work at this (3200) to gain definition...where do you feel the tipping point lies between  high ISO vs loss of sculptural beauty....

your thoughts valued and welcomed as always. Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 07:00:11 pm by Patricia Sheley »
A common woman~

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Re: Little River / Released to Spring
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 07:21:14 pm »

Patricia:  OOF droplets on the lens can be a pain (like here: http://www.wolfnowl.com/2010/12/photo-of-the-month-winter-storm/), but we can't pretend this isn't a photograph (double negative, I know), so in those conditions droplets on the lens are somewhat expected.  If you can find some that work well into the shot, then great!

Not sure of the second question.  At that velocity the water's going to blur no matter what you do, so find a way that works where you like the results you get!  Now, there's blurred water and blurred water, and that's a matter of preference: http://www.wolfnowl.com/2011/01/photographing-moving-water-revisited/

My $0.02

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 09:43:25 pm »

The sample you posted here looks absolutely fine to my eyes. Do show us some more, but don't tell us to look for water droplets on the lens.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 11:44:16 pm »

Having spent the last four years or so shooting river close ups like these, water droplets on the lens has become a pet hate of mine. I keep a wad of toilet paper tucked in the shirt for getting them off. But as Mike says- if they work in a shot then great.

Re the ISO, can't realy say. I very seldomly shoot at anything higher than 200.

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 03:36:29 am »

Patricia

It's a really nice picture. There is tons of energy and tension in it. And very good B/W as well, with the whole tonal range present and correct. As for water drops, what the hell . . .

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 10:13:10 am »

I sometimes like the look of the water droplets  most times not.  You could take a small piece of plexi-glass 4x4 or so (enough to cover lens and also fit into pocket.

Keep the lens covered with the plexi while composing the image.  When you are ready to shoot remove the plexi-glass from the front of the lens and shoot.   You will still get some amount of splashes/water droplets but this would help some.

Or carry a micro fiber cloth in pocket and keep wiping (I did this most of the time) and hope for a clear shot

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 11:15:00 am »

Satisfying though this photo is, I too, would like to see more.

Bruce

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 01:08:53 pm »

I don't see any problem with noise or droplets here.
I just get a little vertigo looking at the image. ;)
Nice work!

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 03:30:54 pm »

Thanks so much for all the feedback...when I get myself into these situations I tend to dig into an area and fully enjoy working it with one lens...in this case the flows have been so powerful that I was offered a nice set of challenges, which of course keeps you thinking as you work and later as you review, hopefully to make a few good notes for future reference..

As to the waders Mike..I was indeed alert constantly...we lost a friend off the cliffs at the shore last summer that way...and as I tend to try to get down/into water as much as possible I was finding my butt be swamped again and again in warning and have two tears at 3/4 height that are supposed to warn me of incoming/depth in water.

As to covering the lens with plexi...nice idea in theory or many situations but my tripod (my big gun/heavy) was zinging/screaming/vibrating in the flow and I was just nervous enough about it taking off that I worked with parachute cord attached so that I would have at least a chance to retrieve.  The bed rocks kept deserting my footing and there were so many more placements I wanted to get into but just too dangerous in those flows...I'll go back into the group and pull another so that you can see anothewr take on the locale..
PS my pockets were loaded with micro fiber, tissue etc, but it became quite sodden, and hike back out to refresh out of the question as it took too long to get into positions in first place...shot till almost dark each day and glad for it...

You are an amazingly generous community and I hope you know how much I value the time you take to share your thoughts
A common woman~
Pages: [1]   Go Up