Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A New Meaning to Ink Leakage  (Read 2063 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website

Shark_II

Re: A New Meaning to Ink Leakage
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 02:55:26 pm »

Let's see... 1 gallon = 3785.412ml

They spilled 8,000 gallons, which is about 30,283,296 ml

At a conservative estimate of ink costing $0.57 per ml retail, that comes to $17,261,478.72

Does anyone really believe over 17 MILLION dollars worth of ink spilled from that truck?  Speaking just of value, not the artificially inflated price companies charge us?   ::)

Tom

Randy Carone

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 03:06:59 pm »

yes.
Randy Carone

leuallen

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 04:53:20 pm »

Oh no! That mean that there soon will be legislation mandating that ink cartridges be able to withstand a crash of 60 mph without bursting. The increased cost will be passed on to us.

MHMG

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 05:04:20 pm »

Oh no! That mean that there soon will be legislation mandating that ink cartridges be able to withstand a crash of 60 mph without bursting. The increased cost will be passed on to us.

And gives new perspective to the symbolic meaning of "Your mileage may vary" :)

Luca Ragogna

• PicFoundry
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 05:39:46 pm »

Let's see... 1 gallon = 3785.412ml

They spilled 8,000 gallons, which is about 30,283,296 ml

At a conservative estimate of ink costing $0.57 per ml retail, that comes to $17,261,478.72

Does anyone really believe over 17 MILLION dollars worth of ink spilled from that truck?  Speaking just of value, not the artificially inflated price companies charge us?   ::)

Tom

The truck was carrying ink from Flint Ink which makes commercial printing ink for printing presses, not inkjet ink. The cost of litho ink is WAY less than inkjet. My best guess is that it was about $150,000 - $200,000 worth of ink.

MHMG

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 06:49:21 pm »

The truck was carrying ink from Flint Ink which makes commercial printing ink for printing presses, not inkjet ink. The cost of litho ink is WAY less than inkjet. My best guess is that it was about $150,000 - $200,000 worth of ink.

That was my first thought as well, but the article also stated the ink was in cartridges, which seems weird, because cartridges would be far more likely to survive a truck overturning better than barrels of ink intended for commercial printing presses.  If the ink was truly in cartridges, I'm racking my brain to try to figure out what printing presses use ink cartridges!

Luca Ragogna

• PicFoundry
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 09:20:02 am »

Off the top of my head Indigo printing presses take cartridges, but I know I've seen litho ink delivered in tubes. Most likely, it was a misnomer by a journalist that didn't know what they were talking about that got picked up. But I've never seen Flint Inkjet ink and they don't have it on their website. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure about this.

walter.sk

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 09:24:47 pm »

Man!  If that truck doesn't look just like the smeary ink reservoirs on my Z3100!

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 10:06:04 am »

Flint ink has a division over here where John Edmund used their lab to create inkjet inks. But I had my doubts too on whether it was inkjet inks and packed in carts. There are more offset and electrostatic printing systems that use carts though. I doubt HP would allow the use of third party inks on the Indigos, the system used a liquid toner BTW. Flint could be the subcontracter.  I think it has been liquid flexo or gravure inks that painted the town.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 12:53:09 pm by Ernst Dinkla »
Pages: [1]   Go Up