Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 44" printer on a desk? newb question (long)  (Read 2403 times)

NaturePhotos

44" printer on a desk? newb question (long)
« on: March 10, 2011, 01:02:13 pm »

I'm a 3800 user looking to print larger.

I know it may sound strange, but has anyone out there put a 44" printer on a desk or table, instead of its stand? 

My primary work area at home has little floorspace available, but has long, built-in cabinetry along the walls, i.e. an extended built-in desk that wraps around the room.  I have one section that's 17" deep by ~10 feet and another that is 24" deep by ~7 feet.  It can withstand the weight easily, so that's not a problem.

It's hard to find pictures online of the bottoms of the 9900, ipf8300, z3200, etc.  I'm wondering how desk-friendly they might be?  Will they sit flat without a stand?  Also, they are clearly designed to support the weight at the 'pads' where they connect to the stand.  Are these pads recessed, such that the weight would be supported by a different part of the printer if put on a flat surface?  I could always make some kind of supporting bracket, but I'm just wondering what I'm in for...

With the back of the printer almost against a wall, rear feed probably wouldn't be an attractive option.  I can live without having the catch basket, as I could put up a temporary outfeed table -- I print very low volume.

Any other issues you can point out to me?  Is the depth of my built-in cabinetry too limiting?  Do I just have to take over one of my kids' rooms?   ;D

Thanks much for any input,
Marc

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
Re: 44" printer on a desk? newb question (long)
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 01:08:09 pm »

17" depth is pushing it; 24" is better.

I think you *could* do it but obviously a far from ideal situation.  I'd look towards taking over one of the kids rooms.  You know, there's something to be said of that close bond that only siblings have, and what better way to foster that relationship than sharing a bedroom...   ;D

Seriously, a printer stand on a 44" printer is the way to go....

NaturePhotos

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 01:11:16 pm »

Hmm, wonder if a twin mattress will fit between the legs of the printer stand?  ;D

Randy Carone

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 02:20:33 pm »

I haven't checked with Epson but I don't think you can use any of their 44" printers without the stand.
Randy Carone

wtlloyd

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 02:25:34 pm »

I'm a cabinetmaker. I have a Epson 4900 installed in a closet at home. It is mounted on a drawer base, with a 30" deep extending pullout top under the printer.

Knape & Vogt ("KV") make a series 8900 drawer slide rated for 500 pounds load when installed in a vertical position (as compared to 180# when installed flat)

They are available in up to a 36" length. The mounting blocks the slides are attached to should be through-bolted to the cabinet top the printer sits on...

Luca Ragogna

• PicFoundry
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 05:43:12 pm »

I've seen pictures of an epson 9800 on a desk. We have one at work and it would be no big deal. My 9890 at home weighs around 400 pounds (shipping weight was 430) it's a monster and I wouldn't put it on a desk ever.

mikev1

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 06:59:56 pm »

I wouldn't recommend it with the 9900.  There are 4 plastic hand grips under the printer that stick out from the base.  I broke 1 the first time I moved the printer.

I suppose you could build a base out of styrofoam cutting slots for the grip.  That way the weight of the printer would be distributed more evenly.

Keep in mind you'll need some space on each side to pull the maintenance tanks so don't place the side rigt against a corner.

The Canon 8300 is deeper so that would require pretty deep cabinets.

Damir

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 07:37:48 pm »

As I understand, but don't take me for granted, Z can be on flat surfaces without problem. I saw pictures somewhere, but you need access to the back of the printer for loading paper, that may be a problem.

NaturePhotos

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 12:52:44 pm »

Thanks everyone for the responses. 

I did build the cabinetry myself.  The top layer is 1/2" solid cherry, so I definitely don't want to drill it. I think I could protect it fine, as long as there is no need to frequently move the printer due to reasons you've all mentioned (roll loading, inks, etc.).

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 04:37:21 pm »

One thing that hasn't been mentioned, is that the base of the Epson & HP printers is engineered to rock back and forth to help dampen the print head when it comes to the end of it's travel.

Something to consider.

NaturePhotos

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 03:28:42 pm »

Interesting John.  Thanks.

Pages: [1]   Go Up