Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: high res/bigger monitors long overdue?  (Read 1346 times)

narikin

high res/bigger monitors long overdue?
« on: March 09, 2011, 09:52:03 pm »

isn't it time there was something with higher resolution that 2560x1600 available? It doesn't have to get much bigger than 30" but the pixel pitch should go up significantly. we've had the same damn thing for 10 years now, and a lot has improved in that time.

with the new display port 1.1a specification pretty commonplace among cards for anyone with a newish computer, the pipeline is there, but speaking personally I badly need a larger desktop to view my MF digital images, than existing 30" monitors supply.

anyone heard of something coming up?

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Re: high res/bigger monitors long overdue?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 03:18:16 am »

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for that request.
Much more than 30" is getting rather too big for most people's desktops IMHO, so demand isn't that great. It also places even greater demands on computer power shifting so much more data around. I noticed a significant slow down in performance when swapping one of a pair of 1280x1024 monitors with a 2560x1440 panel on my system.

Big panels with high pixel density cost a lot to manufacture, proportionally more than smaller panels due to the higher failure rates associated with more pixels. That higher cost in turn stifles demand and looses any benefits of mass production.
The only light at the end of the tunnel that may drive demand for this technology, and hence make it viable, is 4K (or similar ultra high resolution) video. However that's currently at the same stage in it's development that HDTV was 15 years ago.
Pages: [1]   Go Up