Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cheap lens for portraits.  (Read 14362 times)

jalcocer

Re: Cheap lens for portraits.
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2011, 03:08:00 pm »

Hi, well, things 've changed drastically since the last time, now I don't have my d3000 anymore, the camera started failing and I took it to the store and the result was I needed a replacement, but the store had no hold on any d3000 or either another nikon like the d3100, the only option they gave me was to make the change for a t2i, just had to give an extra 50 dls, guess that's a really good end result. The only issue is I already have a 35mm 1.8 and a 70-300, but well, was able to sell the 70-300 and the 35 1.8 is on it's way out, so right now I'm stuck with the canon and the kit lens. Can't do that much outdoors (things here in Mexico are not suited right now for being outdoors taking pictures), so I'm going for indoor portraits and some macro. So I'm going for starters with the 50 1.8 II and I guess I'll try to get a good and not that expensive flash to help me out a bit. already have some lights from a couple of mic stands and just need the socket for the cfl and a couple of umbrellas and I guess I'll be good to go. Perhaps in time I'll be able to get the 50 1.4 and maybe an 85 1.8.
Just wanted to let you know.

Thanks to every one for the kind responses.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2011, 05:30:06 pm »

The 85mm f/1.8 from Canon is an astonishingly sharp lens, especially given its price, and an absolute steal. Light and compact, too.

cats_five

• Fifescapes Photography
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2011, 06:09:09 am »

I wonder how much you know about manipulating depth of field?  There's a great website about it you might find interesting and/or useful.  This page is an online calculator but there is a lot more on the site:

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

jalcocer

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2011, 11:31:05 am »

Thanks a lot for the link, actually I'm still learning, been able to learn some things from here and there, but still am on the basics, and well, I think photography is like other things, you'll never stop learning new stuff.

jalcocer

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2011, 07:15:49 pm »

Hi everybody, just a quick update, got a really good deal on a sigma 50mm 1.4 and have to say I'm really impressed with this bulky lens, compared to the canon 1.4 size difference is really noticeable, and also the sharpness and the bokeh are amazing. I've read about some people having bad lenses and well have to say I get lucky, the autofocus speed is blazing fast, and the quality is really second to none.

It's really good for my portraits and the aperture allows me to take shots with or without flash in almost any light condition, very pleased with it. Decided to pass on the close up filters and save a bit for a real macro lens, perhaps a canon 60 or maybe even a 100mm, also planning on going for at least a sigma 70-300mm with OS, or maybe if the budget is right a canon 70-200 f4L or a sigma 70-200 2.8.

But just wanted to let you know. Thanks again
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up