Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rodenstok 32 mm or Shneider 35 mm for new Alpa 12 STC  (Read 20427 times)

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
Re: Rodenstok 32 mm or Shneider 35 mm for new Alpa 12 STC
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2011, 08:22:57 am »

Yair has become our jet-setting lens tester-by-request.  Thank you!  Perhaps there's a business model in there somewhere?? Or perhaps this goes under the "other duties as assigned" phrase in your Leaf job description...

Can you bring me back a beer from Holland too?

Dave
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 08:27:09 am by dchew »

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2011, 05:02:14 am »

Yair has become our jet-setting lens tester-by-request.  Thank you!  Perhaps there's a business model in there somewhere?? Or perhaps this goes under the "other duties as assigned" phrase in your Leaf job description...

Can you bring me back a beer from Holland too?

Dave

I guess I'm just lucky to have access to all these cameras and lenses, but I'll give you the details of Leaf's CFO if you promise to throw a good word in ;)

Since you've asked for some beer...

1st shot: Heineken brewery on the far left, you can see the trucks waiting to be loaded (35mm at f8 2/3, bit of down shift)

2nd shot: the front of the building: 35mm at f8 1/3 with 10mm rise, vignette added in C1

3rd shot: the Houten hotel in Houten, Holland: 35mm at f8 1/3, 20mm rise (cropped the black corners out). I think that 16-17mm is the maximum shift I'd feel comfortable with as sharpness drops beyond that..

Sorry for the lack of Blue sky...this was Holland afterall ;)

« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 05:12:18 am by yaya »
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

adammork

« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2011, 06:22:38 am »

Thanks a lot Yair!

is it possible to get the hands on the mos file of that last image with 20mm rise?

in a strange way I get more and more tempted towards the A12, better the devil you know....

It' s a workflow thing, I like the gain/lcc process in Leaf Capture, it's really fast and it leaves you with a raw file that you can use where you like it - that's what I call an open system ;) from my point of view, only using the back on a technical camera applying gain/lcc to all the files that I shoot, then a Phase One back is a really closed platform in terms of post production - you only have one raw developer available, C1....

And here is my problem, C1 is unfortunately not a personal favorite. It can extract more details out of the file than Lightroom, no question - but I dislike the way it's doing it - green foliage still have this "drawing by numbers" look and fine details in trees can be straight out ugly if you are not careful, the same goes for the fine details in the materials in the buildings I portraits, it's a bit to easy to get a very detailed but too "digital" look IMO.

I find that Lightroom do not give you all the details that are in the file, but what it gives you is more pleasing to my eyes - it sounds as a cliche, but it's more "film-like" and LR is a speed demon compared to C1.....

As Cooter also mentioned, Raw Developer is also a good choice in terms of the rendering it can deliver, but that said, LR's workflow is hard to beat...

So my question Yair, is the A12 as good integrated in Lightroom as my A75?

Thanks,
Adam

gazwas

« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2011, 07:21:29 am »

I guess I'm just lucky to have access to all these cameras and lenses, but I'll give you the details of Leaf's CFO if you promise to throw a good word in ;)

Great test shots Yair.

Your a credit to this forum taking your personal time out to do these tests!  ;D

Looking at image 3 with 20mm rise on the 35mm lens there is no hint of the wierd lines reported in the Phase KB article.
trying to think of something meaningful........ Err?

adammork

« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2011, 08:12:48 am »

Looking at image 3 with 20mm rise on the 35mm lens there is no hint of the wierd lines reported in the Phase KB article.

Yes, your right, but it's hard to judge from the resolution posted here, so it could be nice to see the mos file - but again, I'm confident that this file is free of banding since it's posted here.....

....and yes it's really to Yair's credit that he takes his time and our money - sorry could not ressist  ;)

again, thanks for the effort! I hope Leaf treats you well.

/adam

yaya

« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2011, 10:54:30 am »

Thanks guys,

I agree with Adam about the workflow; at the moment, specifically for the architecture market, Leaf Capture's and the Aptus's ability to handle colour cast and falloff corrections and the fact you (or your client) can archive and/ or use the files in LR/ ACR after the correction are huge selling points

Yair

gazwas

« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2011, 12:53:16 pm »

Hi Yair. I just looked at your shots again in better viewing conditions and it looks like on second glance that the image 3 with 20mm rise does show some unusual banding in the top portion of the sky. Its hard to see on the size of files you posted but there is some funny texture on my monitor. Could you check and see if there is anything in the original files.
trying to think of something meaningful........ Err?

yaya

« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2011, 06:21:52 pm »

Hi Yair. I just looked at your shots again in better viewing conditions and it looks like on second glance that the image 3 with 20mm rise does show some unusual banding in the top portion of the sky. Its hard to see on the size of files you posted but there is some funny texture on my monitor. Could you check and see if there is anything in the original files.

When you apply lens calibration to remove colour casts and falloff it often introduces some noise towards the edges of the lens which may appear as "funny texture" sometimes, depending on the subject matter. Note that I did not apply any noise reduction and left the sharpening at my usual settings.
The banding mentioned in the KB article will normally be handled and removed by the lens calibration (right now in Leaf Capture and will be improved in C1). At the moment this is one of the trade-offs of using symmetrical, non-retrofocal lenses as wide as the 35mm Digitar. A center filter may or may not help there. I can try without a filter next time but as I suggested 20mm seems to me a little over the top for this lens

Yair

BillOConnor

« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2011, 09:40:10 pm »

Yair;

One question, I'm assuming from the context of these posts that you are shooting with the Aptus II-12,
is that correct? If that is the case, the Schneider is covering awfully well, IMHO--beyond what it was probably
designed for if the truth were known.

Bill

yaya

« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2011, 04:29:29 am »

Yair;

One question, I'm assuming from the context of these posts that you are shooting with the Aptus II-12,
is that correct? If that is the case, the Schneider is covering awfully well, IMHO--beyond what it was probably
designed for if the truth were known.

Bill

You are right Bill,

1. This is all Aptus-II 12
2. The stated IC of the 35mm is 90mm so a 20mm shift is about 9mm too far with the size of the 80mm sensor

cheers

yair

MNG

• www.ngfoto.com
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2011, 06:46:55 am »

Hi Yair,

How often do you notice this banding effect on the Schneider 35mmXL with the 80MPx back?
Is it only when you shift more than 15mm?
Would you recommend the 35mmXL lens or not with the Aptus2-12 back or buy only Rodenstock lenses?
Thanks
Michael
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up