Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Arches Watercolor Paper  (Read 2597 times)

Ed Vatza

Arches Watercolor Paper
« on: March 09, 2011, 06:04:06 am »

Hi folks,

I am interesting in doing some printing on Arches Watercolor Paper. I'm not talking Canson Arches Aquarelle which I have and like a lot. I'm talking about the regular Arches watercolor paper that I can buy in an Art Supply store. I should mention that I use an Epson 3800 printer. Does anyone out there have a profile recommendation to use with this non-photo paper and a 3800? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Ed Vatza
Ed Vatza Photography
www.edvatza.com

Ernst Dinkla

Re: Arches Watercolor Paper
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 08:09:08 am »

This Yahoo mailing list may be a better source, some users there print on uncoated papers like the Arches Watercolor.

DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint@yahoogroups.com

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst

New: Spectral plots of +250 inkjet papers:

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.h

TylerB

• my photography
Re: Arches Watercolor Paper
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 12:17:39 pm »

I've printed on a variety of Arches over the years, hot press, cold press, etc.. and a variety of inks. In fact the Aches entries currently showing at the Aardenburg were prepared and submitted by me. Careful setup with a RIP brings out the best result. Your initial dilemma will be there that is no truly appropriate media setting that works well, over which you need need a good custom profile. I have not worked with the 3800 for Arches, but have with 4800 and 9800 which may provide similar behavior.
The plain paper media settings dramatically limit the ink and bring the gray axis to some manageable state for such papers. You might start there, then you may be able to get better gamut and densities from other settings but need to test them. Be sure and let the ink dry before evaluating, it settles into the paper. Watch for mottle, bleed, and very non linear gray axis in a non color managed state, if it's too whacky profiling can't bring things into line.
Prints on these papers can be quite beautiful in a unique way.
Tyler
Pages: [1]   Go Up