Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: A question or two about Vuescan  (Read 12713 times)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: A question or two about Vuescan
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2011, 08:40:59 am »

To find out which program works the best and under what circumstances.  If that requires as you say to include PP, so be it.  Did anyone actually go through the process comparing the results at the end to see what's best and can they show the results in pictures that can be posted so we can make our own judgments?  Otherwise how do you know they are improving the scanner-supplied software?  How do you know if these other programs are just 99% PP and 1% changes to the actual scanned data, if that?  I've read a lot of what these programs are suppose to do.  Some people swear by them others swear at them and say they provide minimal improvement over the supplied Epson programs at best and just cause you to spend a lot of extra time processing with little improvement over what you can get from the Epson program with PP from Photoshop.

I’d like to see comparisons with well-exposed pictures, underexposed and over-exposed shots.  Comparing Epson, Vuescan and Silverfast or at least a coupe of them if the person hasn’t done all three.  If comparisons like this can be done with cameras, with lenses, etc. it should be able to be done with scan software. 

OK, I see where you're coming from and your right - it can certainly be done;  BUT - lots of variables and a bit of a complex "objective function" - which of course needs to be defined very clearly, so to do it scientifically and meaningfully it's a time consuming undertaking.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Anthony.Ralph

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2011, 07:58:45 pm »

I suppose you could download demo versions of your programs of choice and carry out the comparative tests yourself?

Anthony.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2011, 08:58:28 pm »

I suppose you could download demo versions of your programs of choice and carry out the comparative tests yourself?

Anthony.

This really is the best way of satisfying one's curiosity about what works best for oneself. It's not only about image quality for the kinds of images one wants to scan and the sizes to which one wants to enlarge them, but also about comfort level with the application, etc. That you only know by trying them.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up