Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sentimental old things.  (Read 2557 times)

Andres Bonilla

Sentimental old things.
« on: March 08, 2011, 09:16:25 pm »

Three works with still life, trying to be consistent with my style. I have not tried the color ones with black and white yet.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Sentimental old things.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 11:23:56 pm »

I love the tonalities and mood of the first one. I'd like to see the others in B&W too when you get to it.
I'm somewhat biased toward good black-and-white, but in #2 and #3 I feel the color doesn't really add to the images.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 12:34:53 am »

Agreed.  B&W would be a worth try on the second two.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 04:14:18 am »

Andres, I confess that I'm not a great fan of your colour work, which often strikes me as over-processed. However, I think it works really well in black and white: the first of those images really appeals. I agree with Eric and Mike: I'd like to see the other two without the colour.

Jeremy

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 04:48:06 am »

I much prefeer the colour shots, but think that they look a bit over-retouched. There is such a patina of dust and gloom on old things, in the mind if not in reality, that I sometimes feel that b/w photography fails in its attempt to create drama for the simple reason that the component items can be very close to one another in tonality and, as a consequence, fall into the same trap as Fred's 'tit' hill, which is actually the only failure within Michael's pictorial attempt at natural camouflage, which illustrates the point exactly: you fail to see where one thing ends and another begins.

Rob C

popnfresh

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 09:57:07 am »

+1 for the B&W shot. The color ones look too unnatural.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 10:22:52 am »

Neither b&w nor color look natural... Some might like the effect though. It is "in". And you know HDR is "in" when CNN reports it, as it did today.

fredjeang

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 11:45:02 am »

Come on guys! You're so conservatives

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 12:36:11 pm »

That's me. Conservative and proud of it!

Jeremy

popnfresh

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 12:38:57 pm »

I like the compositions just fine. SeƱor Bonilla knows how to shoot. It's just his handling of post-process that I take issue with. I'd love to get my hands on the raw files just to see what's really there underneath.

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 01:01:34 pm »

Good Morning!! I am just get out from work ( Had to do the graveyard shift) but I managed to do some conversion to Black and White. I really liked them, even though they mantain the style some like some do not! Here they are.

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 01:16:23 pm »

I like the white; it is the color and the black that give me problems, though that may be a good thing.  Yesterday, at first glance I thought they were heavy handed; today, though the manipulation seems more selective, intentional, and effective, if somewhat alien to my way of working.  I prefer the color version of #2 PALA over the others now.

Bruce

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 01:16:56 pm »

Well on the subject of style.....it is a toss up  :) I find out that the painterly process, semi HDR, moody look appeals a lot to the casual viewer; people who really don't know much about the technical aspects or are not as cultured in terms of photographic history.They react more viscerally and either they like it or they don't. I got responses like" I did not know you painted Andres" " Wow what kind of camera do you have". Obvioulsly the younger crowd "dig it". At the television station I work for, the graphic guys love them, the engineers at the shop are divided; as one put it " I am still an analog guy that's why I prefer the shot of the girl in Ecuador" Curiously I really like the shot also but it did not have the impact on the forums as the others wit the experimental processing. Now most seasoned photogs would prefer the look a tad down. So here I stand weighting everything because as Jule, in this forum once told me, it is really finally all up to me

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 01:27:50 pm »

Here are the original files guys.

popnfresh

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 01:54:26 pm »

Here are the original files guys.
wow. that's what I call a huge difference.
Pages: [1]   Go Up