Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: paper look & coating question  (Read 1424 times)

gdanov

paper look & coating question
« on: March 08, 2011, 05:04:43 pm »

Hi,
 I recently bought epson 2200 second hand and am exploring it's capabilities. Printing A3 is very inspiring, the pictures are much better than even the best screen...

I am still finding my way around in this craft and noticed that when I print portraits, I cannot get the eyes to look as shiny as they do on the computer screen. I am missing the "glass" quality of the eye. I need advice on this and I suspect the main reason for this is that I use matte paper. I tried printing on HP semi-matt/satin paper I had lying around but I don't notice any improvement (it was just experiment, I suspect this paper is not a match for the epson inks).
 Would coating/varnishing the photo give me the desired "kick" effect?

Cheers,
Georgi

Randy Carone

Re: paper look & coating question
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 05:53:53 pm »

You will get better 'pop' on a glossy paper that uses Photo Black ink. Try a Baryta-style paper or Museo Silver Rag. Let me know if you'd like to discuss papers in more detail and we can talk off-forum.
Randy Carone

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 05:55:15 pm »

It will be hard to obtain any gloss from a matte paper... and much easier to print on (inexpensive) glossy paper, baryta-like papers are really good but you can also try some RC, Epson Premium eg, for something less expensive.
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

Alistair

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 07:32:35 pm »

To be frank I would not bother with gloss (any PK) papers on the 2200. It is capable of output as good as modern printers on matte papers but the K2 generation of inks give unacceptable levels of bronzing and gloss differential. Rather, I suggest you work your image in LR or PS to liven up the eyes. Lighten, saturate and maybe whiten the whites. If all else fails add a catch-light.
Alistair

gdanov

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 04:10:09 am »

thanks for all the answers.

The picture has got pretty good light, but you are right, I should work some more on it. I (and my wife) just miss the habit to think about printing when we process. Here is the photo

I will get some baryta or epson paper and check, thanks for that advice as well. It seems I have to check several papers. It is really a craft :)

Last but not least - I have never coated a print so I am missing the experience what does it bring. Judging from your answers it wouldn't add significant "pop" - is that so? I'd like to experiment, and I need to find alternative to the varnishes you use as I live in Europe.

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 05:06:53 am »

To be frank I would not bother with gloss (any PK) papers on the 2200. It is capable of output as good as modern printers on matte papers but the K2 generation of inks give unacceptable levels of bronzing and gloss differential.
Alistair may well be right... even if that gloss differential on glossy paper can be somewhat offset with a varnish, it's neither cheap nor easy to apply (not to say anything about toxic fumes).
And anyway, yes it's a craft ;) (but no rocket science either).

For the photo, you might add a tad more contrast in those eyes, but I'd say it would be better served by something glossy to nail down those blacks, and make the reflections more apparent.
You can still test go the matte route - I'd advise to get the WB a tad warmer to make something like the impression of a softer light (and hence reduce the expectation on reflections), but it's quite a matter of taste and anyway, as we say in french "the advisors are not the payers". ;D
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

Alistair

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 05:49:11 am »

Alistair may well be right... even if that gloss differential on glossy paper can be somewhat offset with a varnish, it's neither cheap nor easy to apply (not to say anything about toxic fumes).
And anyway, yes it's a craft ;) (but no rocket science either).

For the photo, you might add a tad more contrast in those eyes, but I'd say it would be better served by something glossy to nail down those blacks, and make the reflections more apparent.
You can still test go the matte route - I'd advise to get the WB a tad warmer to make something like the impression of a softer light (and hence reduce the expectation on reflections), but it's quite a matter of taste and anyway, as we say in french "the advisors are not the payers". ;D

Actually what you say is very true. A coat or three of Hahn spray deals very effectively with both bronzing and gloss differential. definitely need to lighten the eyes a little to make them sparkle.

Alistair
Pages: [1]   Go Up