Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mounting heavyweight paper - overcoming curl  (Read 1235 times)

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
mounting heavyweight paper - overcoming curl
« on: March 07, 2011, 06:20:22 pm »

Hi again everyone,
   I've decided that Optica One is really one of the papers I'd like to regularly use and offer my clients. The thing is that it's a rather heavy paper and maintains it's curl after printing. Even when I roll it back on itself I've often got a paper that causes a little gap in the mat that is over it. My preference is for a t-hinge, but honestly I'm doing portraiture and considering something like a more laminated mount to keep the prints flat. also, some of my smaller prints are delivered loose and I'd really like to deliver them mounted but not matted for appearance (I grow weary of explaining that what I'm giving them is far superior to the kodak print from walgreens). so a few questions:
-how do you relax a heavyweight paper to be flat and how close to truly flat can you get it?
-for my little prints, what would your best method for mounting them be? I'd prefer they be mounted to board the same size as the print.
thanks!
Mark

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Re: mounting heavyweight paper - overcoming curl
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 05:56:10 am »

Hi again everyone,
   I've decided that Optica One is really one of the papers I'd like to regularly use and offer my clients. The thing is that it's a rather heavy paper and maintains it's curl after printing. Even when I roll it back on itself I've often got a paper that causes a little gap in the mat that is over it. My preference is for a t-hinge, but honestly I'm doing portraiture and considering something like a more laminated mount to keep the prints flat. also, some of my smaller prints are delivered loose and I'd really like to deliver them mounted but not matted for appearance (I grow weary of explaining that what I'm giving them is far superior to the kodak print from walgreens). so a few questions:
-how do you relax a heavyweight paper to be flat and how close to truly flat can you get it?
-for my little prints, what would your best method for mounting them be? I'd prefer they be mounted to board the same size as the print.
thanks!
Mark

Read the D-roller thread on this forum. It is the tool for the job.
After d-rolling your print all the issues you are having should go away.
 T-hinge your print to your foamboard backer. Over lay the mat over the print. If you have sized things properly your mat cuttout should cover 1/4" or more of printed surface. Remember to leave 1" or more of white border on all 4 sides of the print.
The inexpensive way for small mounting is foamboard w/adhesive. Pull off the liner,stick the print to it,flip over and trim with a razor.
You are the perfect canditate for my workshop. :)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 06:02:11 am by Dan Berg »
Pages: [1]   Go Up