Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another pier  (Read 1206 times)

Riaan van Wyk

Another pier
« on: March 07, 2011, 02:53:36 pm »

John's recent post got me thinking about this photo that I took some time ago. In contrast with the bitterly cold day he had to face, this was shot in very humid conditions. As much as he won't understand ( or anyone else who shoots in very cold climates) what an irritation sweat, that constantly drips onto the camera's screen or viewfinder can be, I don't understand what it means to have to wear gloves, while shooting.
Similarily, the viewer sometimes sees a totally different scene than the one you have captured. I posted this on another forum last year sometime and was taken aback by one comment that likened this to the view of a prisoner in a penal colony, wishing to one day jump the fence in the foreground, swim across the bay to the lights in the distance, and freedom. A thought that would not, even remotely, have crossed my mind.
After all, this is a place where I have seen many sunrises while fishing through the night, spent many afternoons relaxing and just listening to the waves breaking on the pier.

Anyway, the processing probably leaves a lot to be desired, since I underexposed the RAW file due to stupidity and, this being the first processing with the new PC and software.

Ramble over :)

Rob C

Re: Another pier
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 03:34:10 pm »

John's recent post got me thinking about this photo that I took some time ago. In contrast with the bitterly cold day he had to face, this was shot in very humid conditions. As much as he won't understand ( or anyone else who shoots in very cold climates) what an irritation sweat, that constantly drips onto the camera's screen or viewfinder can be, I don't understand what it means to have to wear gloves, while shooting.
Similarily, the viewer sometimes sees a totally different scene than the one you have captured. I posted this on another forum last year sometime and was taken aback by one comment that likened this to the view of a prisoner in a penal colony, wishing to one day jump the fence in the foreground, swim across the bay to the lights in the distance, and freedom. A thought that would not, even remotely, have crossed my mind.
After all, this is a place where I have seen many sunrises while fishing through the night, spent many afternoons relaxing and just listening to the waves breaking on the pier.

Anyway, the processing probably leaves a lot to be desired, since I underexposed the RAW file due to stupidity and, this being the first processing with the new PC and software.

Ramble over :)

Riaan,

I was going to stop reading when I realised your post would influence my opionion, but I couldn't resist. So, as a direct result of that 'brainwashing', all I see is a wartime beach somewhere in Europe.

Rob C

fredjeang

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 05:12:55 pm »

This picture talks to me. I like it, the composition, the tones. I don't really know why, but it talks to me.

popnfresh

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 07:46:43 pm »

I would have moved to the right and in tighter on the rocks in the middle right of the frame with the golden light on them to make them the foreground. The foreground you have now doesn't really do it for me. The rocks behind them are far more interesting. Unfortunately, simply cropping the photo won't work. I think the camera needed to be repositioned.

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 11:06:24 pm »

Thanks for looking folks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up