Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony A55 alternative to GH2?  (Read 5730 times)

NigelC

Sony A55 alternative to GH2?
« on: March 07, 2011, 03:59:00 am »

OK want to make final decision on walkabout camera when I go to Focus this Wednesday and can visit the Panasonic and Sony stands. Basically I would be very content with the GH2/14-140 from the point of view of size, weight, ergonomics etc. I'm used to panny menus from the LX3 and I can live with the EVF. I've downloaded RAW samoles at various apertures/focal lengths and ISO up to 3200 and printed to A2 and image quality is acceptable for my needs.

But.... the A55 is tempting because the body is the same size but it has Sony's new 16 MP wonder sensor and more or less mirrors the functionality of the GH2 plus it has built in GPS. OK AF in video probably not as good. Drawback is size of lenses v m4/3. I was looking at Tamron 18-270 or Sigma 18-250. A55 with either of these would be less £££ than GH2/14-140. Also, I could probably just live with Carl Zeiss 16-80 as a single lens. Problem is, whereas I now know what I am getting re GH2/14-140 IQ, I don't with A55/Tamron or Sigma superzoom. Any thoughts?   

brianrybolt

Re: Sony A55 alternative to GH2?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 05:52:51 am »

I, more or less had the same dilemma.  I have a GF1 with a full compliment of lenses.  I was going to Marrakech and wasn't sure to take the GF1 kit or my A55.  I'm very pleased I decided to take the A55 with 24-70 f/2.8 Zeiss, 70-300 SAL & Tokina 11-16 F/2.8 which is an incredible lens.  I know the weight factor for this gear may be more than what you want to carry but it didn't bother me although in the future, I may get the Zeiss 16-80.  The dynamic range of the A55 certainly surpasses the Panny and for that alone, it was worth it.  If you plan on shooting a lot each day, I'de recommend you take 2 spare batteries.

Good luck,
Brian

alanscape

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 06:33:36 am »

Can I assume that the Sony will accept Minolta lenses? If so you have lots of great lenses to choose from... the so-called 'beer-cans' are excellent and the Minolta pro. lenses are superb.
Go to dyxxum .com to see reports and range of objectives (lenses).

NigelC

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 07:04:52 am »

Just adding to what I wrote previously, I understand the Sony 16-105 is well below standard of the CZ 16-80 and that the Sony 18-250 is just a rebadged Tamron of a previous generation. I have previously been allergic to this sort of lens but if it meets my portability/unobtrusiveness criteria, I may well go with the Tamron or Sigma.

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 07:50:04 am »

Just adding to what I wrote previously, I understand the Sony 16-105 is well below standard of the CZ 16-80 and that the Sony 18-250 is just a rebadged Tamron of a previous generation. I have previously been allergic to this sort of lens but if it meets my portability/unobtrusiveness criteria, I may well go with the Tamron or Sigma.

The Sony 18-250 is indeed optically a rebadged Tamron 18-250, however the AF gearing has been upgraded and therefore it's faster AF (still no speed demon).
I use it a lot on my A700 and it's certainly a very good superzoom (hope that's not considered an oxymoron  ;) ). From all I've read the Sigma 18-250 is IQ wise even better, and gives you the choice between in body anti-shake and in-lens anti shake. Especially the latter might be a real advantage for video.
In the end a bigger sensor gives you a bigger camera and bigger lenses, only you can decide if the IQ increase for this is worth the trade-off for the higher weight and size.
pieter, aka pegelli

NigelC

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 03:41:44 am »

Can I assume that the Sony will accept Minolta lenses? If so you have lots of great lenses to choose from... the so-called 'beer-cans' are excellent and the Minolta pro. lenses are superb.
Go to dyxxum .com to see reports and range of objectives (lenses).

Good point about Minolta lenses. One drawback of A55 is no equivalent of Pansonic 20mm 1.7 pancake lens. But if i could find an old Rokkor 35/1.8MD, that would be a great low light lens with the A55 sensor.

Question - does an old MC/MD Rokkor meter on an A55 Alpha body, and do older Minolta AF lenses autofocus on Alpha bodies?

David Watson

• David Watson
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 03:56:59 am »

It is a no brainer for me.  Having had a Sony A900 with a 24-70 as a walkabout camera (LOL) and did not walk about at all with it due to the weight particularly of the lens.  I now have a GH2 with a 14-140 and I am really happy with it.  Very compact and light, slips easily into a small shoulder bag and the image quality at lower ISO's is very impressive.  I bought a small Tiffen circular ND Grad and polariser and a spare battery to complete the kit.  The whole lot weighs practically nothing and is very discrete.
David Watson ARPS

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 04:00:39 am »

Good point about Minolta lenses. One drawback of A55 is no equivalent of Pansonic 20mm 1.7 pancake lens. But if i could find an old Rokkor 35/1.8MD, that would be a great low light lens with the A55 sensor.

Question - does an old MC/MD Rokkor meter on an A55 Alpha body, and do older Minolta AF lenses autofocus on Alpha bodies?

MF/MD rokkors don't AF and the mount is different, so you'll need an adapter (ususally with glass to allow infinity focus, so not so good). You'll need the A-mount AF lenses.

However the new 35/1.8 SAM is small, light, cheap and optically quite good.
Alternative is to find an older Minolta 24/2.8, wonderful little lens, and much better than the (still available rebranded to Sony) 28/2.8
pieter, aka pegelli

NigelC

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 06:15:46 am »

MF/MD rokkors don't AF and the mount is different, so you'll need an adapter (ususally with glass to allow infinity focus, so not so good). You'll need the A-mount AF lenses.

However the new 35/1.8 SAM is small, light, cheap and optically quite good.
Alternative is to find an older Minolta 24/2.8, wonderful little lens, and much better than the (still available rebranded to Sony) 28/2.8

Didn't realise older manual rokkors needed an adaptor. 35/1.8 SAM sounds perfect, and a lot cheaper than Panasonic 20/17 - advantage Sony, I think. Critical issue for me now wll be size, weight and feel of GH2/14-140 against A55/Sigma 18-250 (or Tamron 18-270)

NigelC

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 10:20:03 am »

A question - does the A55 do continuous AF in video mode using non-Sony lenses, e.g. Sigma 18-250 or Tamron 18-270?

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 05:47:29 pm »

Yes, I think so.

The A55 operates with normal phase detection AF using it's translucent fixed mirror. So video is exactly like normal shooting.

That said, AF is not perfect and with non ultrasonic focus motor quite noisy.

I have the A55 but no experience with the GH2.

Best regards
Erik

A question - does the A55 do continuous AF in video mode using non-Sony lenses, e.g. Sigma 18-250 or Tamron 18-270?
Erik Kaffehr

NigelC

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 01:07:52 pm »

Back from Focus, decision made, wonga parted with. Went with GH2/14-140 and they threw in an external Panasonic micophone for free. Also got very good deal on 20mm 1.7.

Liked the A55 body a lot, possibly marginally over GH2, but hingeing the LCD at the bottom is self defeating as you can't have it pointed forwards, which stops you filming yourself v.easily. However, in the end down to lenses. With the GH2/14-140, IQ is a known quantity. With the A55, don't really know what I would be getting with the Sony 18-250 and the CZ is too restricted at the long end. The Sony 18-250 is also bulkier than the P14-140. The Sigma equivalent is much too big and heavy for the petite A55 body. Interestingly the Tamron 18-270 is not available in Sony mount (I think Sony part own Tamron). Sony 35/1.8 is neat though, if you can find one.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 02:37:29 pm »

But.... the A55 is tempting because the body is the same size but it has Sony's new 16 MP wonder sensor and more or less mirrors the functionality of the GH2 plus it has built in GPS. OK AF in video probably not as good. Drawback is size of lenses v m4/3. I was looking at Tamron 18-270 or Sigma 18-250. A55 with either of these would be less £££ than GH2/14-140. Also, I could probably just live with Carl Zeiss 16-80 as a single lens. Problem is, whereas I now know what I am getting re GH2/14-140 IQ, I don't with A55/Tamron or Sigma superzoom. Any thoughts? 

You might want to visit dpreview and try their new Studio Scene Comparison viewer. You can select GH2 and A55 and compare their image quality side by side (JPG out of camera used, RAW may yield somewhat different results). To me, it seemed that GH2 had an edge over A55.

I presume, that they used the kit lenses for the test, but nevertheless this is a handy tool when making decisions on camera purchase.

Pages: [1]   Go Up