Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 5D2, telephoto zoom advice  (Read 2231 times)

JeanMichel

Canon 5D2, telephoto zoom advice
« on: March 06, 2011, 06:00:11 pm »

Hi,

I use a Canon 5D2 and 20, 40 and 24-105 lenses.
I will be going on a Inside Passage cruise (British Columbia, Yukon and Alaska) this May or June. I am thinking of bringing a longer lens for the trip.
I am thinking of one of:
Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 (the push-pull is not a best feature and I read that results can be soft on a full size sensor)
Canon 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 (the weather resistance is attractive)
Canon 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 DO
I have read reviews but wonder if members here have their own recommendations.
Thanks,
Jean-Michel

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
Re: Canon 5D2, telephoto zoom advice
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 11:27:50 pm »

The 70-300 DO, properly used, is a very decent lens.

"Properly used" is key, any relatively light weight lens in the 200-300mm range takes either skilled or very practiced hands to pull off sharp images.  If you buy a lens in this range please expect to spend a fair amount of time refining technique through practice to get the most out of it.
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

JBerardi

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 08:32:54 am »

The weather-resistant 70-300 L looks good, haven't ever used it. 

Agnostic on the 100-400. The size/weight is kind of a drag, the push-pull mechanism is kind of a drag, I can't really speak to the optics but I wouldn't expect miracles. But none of those things are terrible, and it's 400mm while the others aren't.

Don't like the 70-300 DO. The size and weight reduction doesn't seem meaningful to me, and while the build quality is pretty solid, any zoom that telescopes that much feels cheap to me, and you're not getting anything special in terms of image quality, either. To me it just doesn't do anything well enough to justify the hefty price tag.

My personal recommendation would be the 70-200 f4 IS L. That lens is basically perfect.

stever

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 11:37:59 am »

the proper use of the 70-300 DO is at less than 200mm (i disagree that there is any technique that will permit large prints from this lens at 300mm), making the 70-200 f4 a far better proposition, but not long enough for the inside passage

from my experience the 100-400 is the best choice as you will find that 300mm (or 400) is not enough on a full frame camera (however there isn't a big advantage to using a crop-frame for longer effective length as a crop from my 5D2 to 640 effective is not much worse than using the 7D) - from my testing and use i think the 100-400 is better on the full frame camera than on a crop-frame. a zoom is essential as you will be working at all distances from the boat.

i have a good copy of the 100-400 - i think there is less variability in recent production, but there's always variability in zoom lenses - and can print 17x25 at 400mm and f8 or fll.  the push-pull takes a bit of getting used to but is very fast when you do (i recently had the opportunity to shoot with an outstanding bird photographer that uses a 40D and 100-400 to make stunning images and he's very happy with the push-pull).  i'd recommend taking a couple Op-tech rain sleeves and a UV filter as the weather is un-predictable (i've used the rain sleeves in at least moderately rainy weather and had no issues with camera or lens - you'll want to be a bit more careful than with a 1D and sealed lens.

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 06:22:22 pm »

the proper use of the 70-300 DO is at less than 200mm (i disagree that there is any technique that will permit large prints from this lens at 300mm), making the 70-200 f4 a far better proposition, but not long enough for the inside passage

from my experience the 100-400 is the best choice as you will find that 300mm (or 400) is not enough on a full frame camera (however there isn't a big advantage to using a crop-frame for longer effective length as a crop from my 5D2 to 640 effective is not much worse than using the 7D) - from my testing and use i think the 100-400 is better on the full frame camera than on a crop-frame. a zoom is essential as you will be working at all distances from the boat.

i have a good copy of the 100-400 - i think there is less variability in recent production, but there's always variability in zoom lenses - and can print 17x25 at 400mm and f8 or fll.  the push-pull takes a bit of getting used to but is very fast when you do (i recently had the opportunity to shoot with an outstanding bird photographer that uses a 40D and 100-400 to make stunning images and he's very happy with the push-pull).  i'd recommend taking a couple Op-tech rain sleeves and a UV filter as the weather is un-predictable (i've used the rain sleeves in at least moderately rainy weather and had no issues with camera or lens - you'll want to be a bit more careful than with a 1D and sealed lens.

1.  The OP listed four lenses, unfortunately the 70-200's were not one of them.  I assume he's looking for small size/weight and these are within what he feels comfortable with.

2.  The 70-300mm DO is certainly capable of making large prints at 300mm.  As long as it's understood its not a 300/4 or better.  It's a compromise lens like every other 70-300, but with good technique you can do quite well with it.

3.  The 100-400 is also a good lens, but product variation runs on par with the 70-300mm DO and also requires good technique to get the best from it.
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

JeanMichel

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 08:01:18 pm »

Thank you to everyone,

I am still not sure which lens -- I plan to only purchase one -- I will get for the trip. Steve is right, I did not list a 70-200 as I am looking for a longer reach. I am likely to use the lens most of the time at its longest setting, 300 or 400; otherwise most of my images are likely to be made at my usual focal lengths of 20-24, 40-60 and 90-105. I will probably shoot hand held a lot of the time, although Gitzo will come along so IS is most desirable. I don't want to break the bank so the prime and zooms over $2k lenses are out of consideration. I live near Toronto so may end up renting but kind of hate to pay almost 25% of the purchase price to rent a lens for 3 weeks.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply with your opinions.

Jean-Michel

Pages: [1]   Go Up