Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacement mouse for the Mac - wireless  (Read 7091 times)

Mark F

Replacement mouse for the Mac - wireless
« on: March 06, 2011, 11:59:37 am »

I've just had the second Apple wireless mouse (the one with the little ball on top) stop working properly and would like to try a non-Apple mouse. I've researched the Logitech and Microsoft mice (mouses?) and cannot tell if they have the ability to push a button and see all open windows at the same time. If anyone is using a non-Apple mouse on their Mac (Snow Leopard) please let me know your experience.

Thanks.

Mark

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Re: Replacement mouse for the Mac - wireless
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 04:09:14 pm »

Its an apple Product - But...

I switched over to the trackpad a little while ago for my primary mac pro editing machine and love it - its sort of a hybrid between a mouse and tablet. Dont expect it would be everyones cup of tea - but it works for me.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

RobSaecker

• robsaecker.com
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 04:57:57 pm »

And for another option, I'm very happy with my Magic Mouse. With no moving parts to wear out or get gummed up, it should last longer than the Mighty Mouse (terrible names).
Rob
photo blog - http://robsaecker.com

Owin

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 05:24:27 pm »

I had the same problem, reverting back to my wired mouse. This is now playing up, so I've switched to the magic trackpad. Does everything the mouse did and no moving parts to break.

http://www.apple.com/magictrackpad/
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 05:27:16 pm by Owin »

mediumcool

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 05:17:55 am »

And for another option, I'm very happy with my Magic Mouse. With no moving parts to wear out or get gummed up, it should last longer than the Mighty Mouse (terrible names).

Second the Magic Mouse—the little ball in the Mighty Mouse is too small to be both ergonomic and function well somatically. The scrolling sensitivity on the Magic is superb. Caveat: I found it a bit heavy and large for a few days, but now have two for different computers.
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool

francois

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 07:27:26 am »

I use a combination of Apple's magic mouse & magic trackpad. I'm fully satisfied with this setup.

I have used many Logitech mice. I found the hardware to be pretty OK but the software was abysmal. I don't know whether the situation has improved or not.
Francois

jalcocer

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 08:53:12 am »

Hi, well, since you are asking for logitech and microsoft, if you want a bluetooth mouse microsoft has a couple, and able to be customized with the microsoft software, and the software plays nice with mac OS, my self I'm using a corded comfort mouse from microsoft and the software works really good with my imac.

Logitech has some great options also letting you also customize the buttons with the logitech control center, is not as stable as microsoft's software but it is good also. I've used the MX revolution and it is a great mouse, not bluetooth but really good. Right now the option instead of that one is the Performance MX, dongle really small and works better than the MX.

Magic Mouse is also nice, but not as good as those from logitech, but if you want something that matches your mac and you want a smaller mouse and don't like the scroll wheel, then go for the magic mouse, although the tracking speed is not that great, my self, I had to change the speed value using a terminal command because in the highest on system preferences, magic mouse was still slow.

It is really up to you, as some one that used the three brands, can say the three are good choices, but every person has it's own needs, it depends on what you want overall.

mediumcool

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 09:30:51 am »

Magic Mouse is also nice, but not as good as those from logitech (sic) …
How so?

but if you want something that matches your mac and you want a smaller mouse and don't like the scroll wheel, then go for the magic mouse …
The Magic Mouse is quite large in area (so that there is reasonable real estate for the sensors) compared to any Logitech mouse I have owned, but it is lower than any of them.

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 02:11:29 pm »

Hi, well, since you are asking for logitech and microsoft, if you want a bluetooth mouse microsoft has a couple, and able to be customized with the microsoft software, and the software plays nice with mac OS, my self I'm using a corded comfort mouse from microsoft and the software works really good with my imac.

Logitech has some great options also letting you also customize the buttons with the logitech control center, is not as stable as microsoft's software but it is good also. I've used the MX revolution and it is a great mouse, not bluetooth but really good. Right now the option instead of that one is the Performance MX, dongle really small and works better than the MX.

Magic Mouse is also nice, but not as good as those from logitech, but if you want something that matches your mac and you want a smaller mouse and don't like the scroll wheel, then go for the magic mouse, although the tracking speed is not that great, my self, I had to change the speed value using a terminal command because in the highest on system preferences, magic mouse was still slow.

It is really up to you, as some one that used the three brands, can say the three are good choices, but every person has it's own needs, it depends on what you want overall.

Microsoft will release a touch mouse in May.

Can logitech be far behind?

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Microsoft-Touch-Mouse-Arc-Touch-Mouse-Comparison-Photo-Magic-Mouse-Multitouch-Mouse,news-9642.html
Craig Lamson Photo

jalcocer

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 04:50:35 pm »

Well, as far goes for the mx revolution and the performance, they have better tracking ability and they are rechargeable, and I have one mx and besides being taller the grip with my hand is better than with the magic mouse (have big hand).

Also, I'm talking according to my experience with these products and my own personal opinion. My needs won't necesarily be your's or his, it ends up being a question of personal matter. What works for me, could not work for you and viceversa.

I guess the best option is to check for reviews about them and if you can check them physically do so, so you can tell how they feel in your hand.

Regards

mediumcool

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 10:17:47 pm »

Well, as far goes for the mx revolution and the performance, they have better tracking ability and they are rechargeable, and I have one mx and besides being taller the grip with my hand is better than with the magic mouse (have big hand).

Whereas I find the MM fits my (also) large hand better. Even an older wired Apple mouse feels too bulky now. I use rechargeable AAs in my MMs!

Also, I'm talking according to my experience with these products and my own personal opinion. My needs won't necesarily be your's or his, it ends up being a question of personal matter. What works for me, could not work for you and viceversa.

This is a given, of course.

I guess the best option is to check for reviews about them and if you can check them physically do so, so you can tell how they feel in your hand.

Absolutely agree.

schrodingerscat

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 12:28:31 pm »

Haven't used a mouse for my primary computer in years. Started using a WACOM tablet for PS work about ten years ago, and it proved to work well for all other pointing tasks. Now use a Bamboo. Have got a Mini that's used as a media center and use a Kensington Slimblade wireless mouse. Didn't feel like messing around to use the Bluetooth in the Mini with it, so just use the dongle that came with the mouse. Can also be used handheld for presentations. Picked it up on sale for $15.

Mark F

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 01:19:23 pm »

Thanks for the feedback. But I am still wondering, do the non-Apple mice have a provision for allowing me to see all open windows at one time and then choose the window I want?
Mark

jalcocer

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 01:41:19 pm »

With the logitech you can set up expose in the logitech control center (the software that comes with it), you can set up almost every button to do what you want.

with microsoft I can't really tell you, the one I have doesn't have that many options, but the logitech will let you set it up for that.

you can google it, and check the options the logitech's give you, as well as the microsoft mice, hope this was helpful.

Mark F

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 01:55:26 pm »

Thanks. That is very helpful.
Mark

henk

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2011, 06:22:38 pm »

Hi,
one last one! I use the Microsoft  bluethooth mouse 5000 now for some years on my Macbook and it does the thing a mouse should do.
Left, right and scroll. Connect it and off you go. No installation! :D

Henk

miles@SW

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2011, 10:21:00 am »

Very simple, Try to find the Razer Orochi mouse, give it a try or better still buy it at once, you will not look back. I bought it together with my new MacBook Pro and couldn't be happier, it's bluetooth, and can also be connected via cable...
I loved the mighty mouse (didn't have problems with the small ball because I cleaned it often) and hate the magic mouse, it's anything but ergonomic. But why discuss them, just check out the Orochi! You or anyone else won't regret it...
Cheers, Jens
Pages: [1]   Go Up