Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: HP 24" Drive Belt Replacement Video  (Read 38517 times)

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
Re: HP 24" Drive Belt Replacement Video
« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2011, 03:13:47 pm »

I'll give you that it's possible - but I just think we would have heard more about it by now.

You get to it via the front panel - menu, internal prints, service information prints, print useage information

Roscolo

« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2011, 03:31:34 pm »

Thanks. Here is what mine says:

Total Printed media: 513.55 sq. mtr. / 5527.8 sq. ft.

Belt usage (# of cycles): 210060

I've been printing with mine for almost 4 years. Belt has been flaking for maybe 1 yr., noticed some threads hanging off, but I've just dealt with it. Snipped 'em off. Haven't had much ruined by it.

But, if the HP manual says it should last 6 million cycles or 5 yrs without servicing, well, it should. To use the Canon or timing belt analogies again: If Canon put out a camera and said the shutter should last 90k actuations and it only lasted 60k, there would be a recall. If Lexus put out a car and said the timing belt was good for 5 years or 100k miles, but they were failing after 3 years, 50k miles, there would be a recall (and/or a huge lawsuit).

Would like it if someone from HP could chime in and let us know why the belts apparently aren't making it to 6 million cycles or 5 years, although it appears mine may actually make it to 5. Clearly a lot of others aren't.

Hope some others put up those Printer Usage numbers. Maybe a pattern begins to emerge. Maybe even a pattern around date of manufacture, etc. Maybe there is a batch of particularly crappy belts.

EDIT: You sure the manual says 6 MILLION cycles and not maybe 600,000?

« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 03:35:06 pm by Roscolo »

kaelaria

« Reply #82 on: April 08, 2011, 03:40:10 pm »

Download it for yourself and look, the link is in my article.  Yes 6M.  Can you post a pic of your printout just so everything is on a level playing field for data?

kaelaria

« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2011, 03:42:57 pm »

My DOM is 7/07

Roscolo

« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2011, 03:56:20 pm »

The pic is attached. 210060 cycles. Coming up on 4 years of use. Looks like mine has outlasted many others, albeit not without flaking.

With manual saying it should go 6 million cycles / 5 years with no service required, the HP disintegrating belt issue really looks like it should be a recall issue to me now.

EDIT: My Date of Manufacture is Dec. 08, 2006. I purchased my z3100 from Newegg in March or April 2007.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 03:59:16 pm by Roscolo »

kaelaria

« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2011, 04:29:06 pm »

Any bright ideas on getting HP to look/comment?  lol

Roscolo

« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2011, 04:39:00 pm »

I would like to see more Print Usage printouts. Still curious what the variables could be and if there is a pattern. Or maybe a new thread should be started for that. Your belt failed at around 44,000 cycles?

Has anyone quoted the manual ( 6 million cycles - 5 years ) to HP when reporting a defective / failing belt? If so, what was their response?

Get enough Print Usage printouts here and I would think HP would take note. If you read my history you will see I'm definitely not someone who is down on HP and the z3100 is the best printer ever to come along. But if the belts aren't lasting as long as they should, HP should make good. They didn't hand these printers out for free. Or the thousands of dollars of ink and paper we've used / continue to use. Maybe a lot of folks are like me and never noticed the manual info. about 6 million cycles - 5 years before service should be needed.

walter.sk

« Reply #87 on: April 08, 2011, 05:15:44 pm »

If Canon put out a camera and said the shutter should last 90k actuations and it only lasted 60k, there would be a recall.
Funny you should mention that.  I'm a died-in-the-wool Canon user.  However, when I had 64k activations on the shutter on my 1DMkii, just after the warranty ran out, one of the shutter blades destroyed itself.  The camera was advertised as good for 200k activations, and I had to beg Canon to replace it without the $800 charge they wanted me to pay.  I went home happy with a new shutterbox, and roughly 60k activations later the same thing happened.  This time Canon fixed it for the service fee of some $350.  I've been using the camera since (it is now 6 yrs old) but I fully expect the shutter to go soon.  And quite a number of 1DMkii's I have seen for sale say "with a new shutter!"  I don't want to be seen as flaming Canon here, as they did make good on the 2nd and 3rd shutter, but for a $4500 professional camera that got less use than many, there seemed to be a problem.

My Z3100 is just short of 3 years of age.  I do little printing compared with pro use;  I have gone through the set of 1/2 size inks, bought a set of full sized inks, and had to replace about 6 of those.  Not a heck of a lot of printing.

kaelaria

« Reply #88 on: April 08, 2011, 05:19:45 pm »

That's about where I am Walter - in to my first full sets of ink, 2nd on a couple.

walter.sk

« Reply #89 on: April 08, 2011, 05:45:30 pm »

That's about where I am Walter - in to my first full sets of ink, 2nd on a couple.

I just checked the label on the back of my printer.  It was manufactured January, '07.  I bought it in November, '07, so it has been in my possession about 3 years and 4 months, and its total age is 4 1/4 years.

johncustodio

« Reply #90 on: April 08, 2011, 07:46:06 pm »

My 24" Z3100 is almost 4 years old and I have 574,216 belt cycles. The belt seems to be in good condition for the most part, however I am seeing some fraying in 2 places on the edge, and there is a 6 inch crack in the middle of the belt on the far left side. If I rub my finger on the belt, a few pieces of rubber will come off the edge. Occasionally, I'll get a speck of rubber on a print, but this doesn't happen too often. Before each print session, I'll examine the belt and see if any rubber comes off, then use a blower to make sure there isn't dust or rubber particles floating around inside the machine. Eventually of course the belt will have to be replaced, but I just bought a 5th year service contract, so I'm covered. I recently spoke to a friend who has a 44" Z3100, and he said that his belt went, but I don't know how many cycles he had on his.

-John

kaelaria

« Reply #91 on: April 08, 2011, 07:47:31 pm »

It was maybe 20 prints from where I noticed the flakes like that to - it's snowing!

deanwork

« Reply #92 on: April 08, 2011, 08:09:00 pm »

Yes, you are living on borrowed time. I'd go ahead and have them replace it now before you end up in a mess.

Ask them to check out your "spitoon" waste tank, and the cap station while they are at it. They replaced all  that with mine under warranty when they tore it apart to replace the belt. Then you'd be good to go for several more years most likely.

john

namartinnz

« Reply #93 on: April 09, 2011, 06:28:16 pm »

Just did a printout - 696607 cycles, with pieces coming off,  4year old Z3100. I now have a replacement belt from LPS, I'll likely have a crack at replacing it over Easter or when orders slow down. I have an old Epson 4000, barely used now but no evidence at all of belt deterioration.

For all the hassles with the belt, I still regard the Z3100 as an excellent machine. Not having the clogging issues I have with the Epson 4000 and other related Epson printers I've read about, combined with print quality, I'd definitely look at Hp printers in the future.

kaelaria

« Reply #94 on: April 10, 2011, 12:27:37 am »

Can everyone that does a print out please post a pic of it?

walter.sk

« Reply #95 on: April 21, 2011, 09:48:28 pm »

Hope springs eternal!

After a call to HP's tech support, I described the shaft that I should not have pulled out when replacing the belt, and was told that it really does nothing than lift the pinch rollers when the media lever is raised.  Whew!

The jamming in the Service Station was either caused by my bending or breaking a part internally to it, or it just coincidentally died on its own.  The HP tech thought that replacing the whole Service Station assembly would fix my printer.

I just ordered a Service Station, and will report back what happens.  I've got my fingers crossed...

To Kaelaria and others who replaced the belt, would one of you list the tests and calibrations you performed, and in what order?  I looked again and again at the matrix in the service manual and am confused about this.

kaelaria

« Reply #96 on: April 21, 2011, 10:08:05 pm »

Page 8-5 follow the carriage assembly order.

deanwork

« Reply #97 on: April 22, 2011, 04:24:37 pm »

Brian that is a fantastic video and your production method was very clear to understand.

The world would be a better place if there were more people like you out there.

If mined needs it again in 3 more years I'll do it.

john

kaelaria

« Reply #98 on: April 22, 2011, 11:17:57 pm »

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #99 on: April 23, 2011, 02:31:15 am »

I think we can lay the usage only argument to rest. 

My recently purchased second Z3100 has only had 143 ml. total ink usage.  It was literally used by a little old lady that only printed on Sunday.  The printer was manufactured in August of 2007. 

The belt is shot.  I think time is every bit as big an issue with these belts as duty cycles.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up