Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: tripod head  (Read 2701 times)

whitesockcat

tripod head
« on: March 05, 2011, 02:07:49 pm »

Could anyone recommend a tripod head? I'm shooting vertically (fashion) with a 5dmk2 on a studio stand. I want something that can hold the camera vertical and with some tension so I dont have to loosen anything - I want to be able to recompose as I shoot.  about $200  Recommendations?

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
Re: tripod head
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 04:46:07 pm »

A Markins Q3 may do (http://www.markinsamerica.com/MA5/category.php?req=1). I've used it with a 5D2, 70-200 lens and L plate and it holds it fine with a smooth movement before finally tightening. If you order it without the quick release clamp the price comes down closer to your limit. Currently I'm using an Acratech GV2 (http://acratech.net/home.php?cat=1) which I prefer (it's less fiddly) but it's more expensive. Probably most of the ball heads with tension will work.
David

stever

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 11:50:08 pm »

i've had poor luck with a variety of ball heads and recommend investing in an L-bracket and nodal slide so that the camera-lens combination can be balanced on the head

you may want to try an alternative to a ball head, but in any case, balancing the camera-lens is important

24x36

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 07:43:22 pm »

I'd definitely recommend some kind of L-Bracket, as the support will be better with the head underneath the body, as opposed to the body hanging off to the side.

As for heads, I personally hate ball heads. I'd recommend an NPC Pro Head (unfortunately not in production presently) or an Arca-Swiss Z2 (or its predecessor, the B2), all of which give you independent adjustment of all movements as opposed to the all-over slop of a ballhead (i.e., off-axis movement).

JeanMichel

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 08:24:41 pm »

Hi,
It will be more than $200, for anything worthwhile anyway.

I use a 5d2, Gitzo tripod, Acratech levelling base and Acratech ball head. All very satisfactory. I do not do much vertical photographing on tripod so I have not purchased an L-bracket as I think that it would get in the way of my mostly hand-held work. Dropping the camera into the vertical slot' in the ball head works fine for me but an L bracket would be much more convenient. Acratech appears to have newer products on their site that may be of interest to you.

Check:
http://reallyrightstuff.com
http://acratech.net/

Jean-Mchel

armand

• Photos
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 11:25:45 pm »

I'm pretty happy with Markins Q3, however it's kind of weird when I go into portrait mode. With a D90, with their plate (not the vertical one) cannot go fully vertically, I have to lower one of the tripod legs. It just doesn't have enough room ...

stever

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 11:35:53 am »

i'd strongly recommend both an L-bracket and a nodal slide to balance the camera/lens combination on the head - without acheiving balance, i don't think any ball head will adequately hold position with tension that allows the camera to be moved

unless you need the flexibility of a ball head - i use a light weigh gimbal which does allow the camera to be moved without fully tightening

i don't think you'll get a really satisfactory solution for $200

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 12:21:55 pm »

To me, camera support is at least as important as a quality lens.  Buy better than you can afford now, and you might just avoid upgrading and upgrading again later. Get something now which will likely hold the heaviest camera and lens which you are likely to ever use.   My support system (Really Right Stuff) cost around $1,500, but it is very unlikely I will ever have to upgrade again.  Also, I 2nd and 3rd the L-bracket suggestions.  The camera will mount quickly and easily, and the weight will be over the center of the head/tripod rather than hanging off the side.  The support system is one area in which many people skimp and I feel it is a serious mistake to do so.  If you REALLY need to save $$$, I would buy used off eBay or Craig's List.

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 03:33:38 pm »

Something like http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pho/2309485554.html  and an L-bracked for your camera and you are set for life...
Pages: [1]   Go Up