Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 60D & Voigtlander 58/1.4 Nokton - a good combo?  (Read 3436 times)

graeme

Canon 60D & Voigtlander 58/1.4 Nokton - a good combo?
« on: March 04, 2011, 06:28:59 am »

It's finally time to upgrade from my ( sort of ) trusty 20D.

I've decided on the 60D as a replacement.

I realize that the 18mp sensor is going to need good glass in front of it. I'm thinking about the Voigtlander 58 as I use that approximate focal length a lot. I know that there isn't a native EOS mount version and I'll have to use an adaptor. Will this involve any optical compromises. I have no problem with manually setting the aperture and lack of focus confirmation is OK as I'll be using Live View.

I'd welcome any opinions on this lens choice.

Graeme

JeanMichel

Re: Canon 60D & Voigtlander 58/1.4 Nokton - a good combo?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 02:21:18 pm »

Hi,

I gather from the store (http://www.leicaboutique.com) where I purchased a 20 and a 40 Voigtlander that the 58 1.4 in a Canon mount "is coming soon". I use the two small lenses on a 5D2 and am very pleased with the results.

Jean-Michel

graeme

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 08:34:46 pm »

Thanks Jean-Michel

Maybe I'll just get the 60D and wait until the EOS mount version of the lens is released.

Graeme

stever

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 11:57:54 pm »

is the Nokton really better than the Canon 50 1.4 (which is not very good wide open but pretty nice at 2.8 and great f4 - f8) ?  and is it worth the loss of autofocus?  i think photozone.de may have a test

i have the voigtlander 20 which is not very good wide open - not unreasonable for a pancake lens

graeme

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 06:26:40 pm »

is the Nokton really better than the Canon 50 1.4 (which is not very good wide open but pretty nice at 2.8 and great f4 - f8) ?  and is it worth the loss of autofocus?  i think photozone.de may have a test

i have the voigtlander 20 which is not very good wide open - not unreasonable for a pancake lens

Stever

I got the impression that Photozone thought that the Nokton had the edge optically.

I like the idea of:

the slightly longer focal length ( it's a sweet spot for me )

It's probably going to be better built than the Canon ( i don't have a lot of faith in the build quality of their ' mid range' gear ).

The lack of auto focus isn't an issue, I'll be using live view ( it's also one less thing to go wrong ).

I'm also kind of intrigued by the thing.

And if I really wanted to save pennies I'd get one of the 50mm 1.8 plastic wonders - sharp, but I've already had one die on me and the 'focus ring' is a joke.

Thanks for your input.

Graeme

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 06:40:03 pm »

Another possibility would be a Tamron 60/2.0 macro. It goes to 1:1, auto-focuses, and is surely optically better corrected than either Canon or Nokton. Just a thought.

graeme

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 07:37:05 pm »

Thanks Slobodan

I'd actually looked at the Tamron and it sounds great but I'm after something that will work on full frame as well as APS-C. Until a few weeks ago I was dithering between the 60D and the 5DMk 2. Circumstances may yet dictate that I may buy or at least have to hire a full frame camera so I try to make sure that my lenses will work on both.

Regards

Graeme

( Just used the 60D for the first time today - makes the 20D look stone age, so many menus, but live view using that swivelling screen is a joy ).
Pages: [1]   Go Up