Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: viewing video in different color spaces  (Read 2093 times)

billy

viewing video in different color spaces
« on: March 03, 2011, 11:35:52 am »

when I watch a video that I created, if I view it with quicktime there are 2 radically different ways that the color is displayed. 1) with color sync checked in the quicktime prefernces ( it reads like this, " ENABLE FINAL CUT STUDIO COLOR COMPATIBILITY, when enabled, video is not displayed using ColorSync. Source colors are read with 2.2 gamma and are displayed in a color space with 1.8 gamma " ). and 2) with this not checked or enabled, which makes the video look terrible ( muddy, flat, kinda green ).

my question is this; If I upload a video to my site, how will others see it? These videos are being created in Fotomagico, stills turned into motion pans by using the ken burns effect.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Re: viewing video in different color spaces
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 02:40:47 pm »

sorry i think I posted a confusing reply. this issue confuses more than just you.

check out Apples current knowledge base paper on the subject

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3712
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 03:42:36 pm by Chris Sanderson »

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 03:50:15 pm »

This may also help.

and this <http://www.larryjordan.biz/articles/lj_gamma.html>

and if you search around Larry's excellent site, you will find lots of informatio on preparing stills for video.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 04:25:19 pm by Chris Sanderson »

bjammin

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 04:46:00 pm »

Welcome to the difficult world of web video.  If only it were simple.  I think you will find that almost everyone will have a different experience depending upon their operating systems, web browsers, display hardware, viewing environment, and how much they pay attention to keeping their monitors clean and functional.  I've even seen videos I've produced rendered almost un-viewable by kids tweaking the color settings on their monitors so they are optimized for gaming.

In truth, a 2.2 gamma is a good viewing choice.  It has been the default gamma for television for years, along with Windows computers and recently Apple computers. Few web browsers recognize the choice, but eventually I think more will adopt the standard.  In the mean time, it something we all have to bear.

bjammin

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 08:15:01 pm »

check to see that all of the apps and your monitor profile are set to expect the same Gamma. in this respect, it's a bit like printing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up