Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: copyright  (Read 2290 times)

Didymus

copyright
« on: March 03, 2011, 01:23:09 am »

I want to protect my photographs.  If I sell my photos should I copyright them?  If so, how do I go about that?

Thank you

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Re: copyright
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 04:30:52 pm »

This varies by country.  I'd suggest checking into the rules and laws for your country, and be prepared to encounter some misinformation along the way!  BASICALLY all original art is protected by copyright, and copyright doesn't allow or prevent you from selling your work.  Copyright deals with the use of your work by other people.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

lightstand

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 05:37:53 pm »

"I want to protect my photographs.  If I sell my photos should I copyright them?  If so, how do I go about that?"

No matter what country you live in the best protection first and foremost is to make sure you have informed the buyer (with paperwork) specifically the licensing use - even if you are selling a person a fine art print you should be delivering a simple invoice contract with it that spells out the licensing "this is for person display... and no reproductions are granted etc" 

Just because something is registered with a government does not protect it.  you would still need a lawyer and court time $$$$ to enforce when maybe the situation could of been prevented with a little upfront communication (and paperwork)

p.s. if you're here in the US try this link for info http://asmp.org/content/registration-counts

« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 05:41:22 pm by lightstand »

Didymus

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 02:27:02 pm »

Thank you

Didymus

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 02:28:57 pm »

This is very helpful, thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up