Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEC PA301W review and color gamut  (Read 9364 times)

Jeff Kott

NEC PA301W review and color gamut
« on: March 02, 2011, 07:18:19 pm »

This is the monitor I've been waiting for.  :D

Lloyd Chambers has been testing an advance unit of the new NEC 30" wide gamut display for about six weeks and has a review on his DAP (subscription) site.

He really likes the monitor - no surprises there - but, in his testing he found that his PA271W has a larger gamut than the PA301W he is testing. That surprised me, since I assumed the newer product would have at least as large a gamut as older one.

Question for the group - I want to buy a large wide gamut monitor - I'm currently using two 22" monitors. I'll either get the PA301W or the PA271W. How do people feel about the size difference. Is bigger always better or does anyone prefer a 27" sized monitor to one that's 30"?

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Re: NEC PA301W review and color gamut
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 11:09:20 pm »

Depends on how close you are sitting to the monitor.

In my studio I use a single NEC 26" SpectraView and sit only (my eye distance to screen) 24" away. I could not use a 30" screen comfortably.

If you are sitting a little further back 30" should be fine.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 11:10:16 pm »

I noticed this review over on AnAndTech and read it with interest.

30 inch monitors have always had a hard time matching certain specifications against their smaller versions.  This one does better than any before it though.

About dual screens.  I had two 21.5" 1600x1200 screens on a dual display stand for years.  When I replaced them I was worried my LCD2690uxi2's would be too big.. but they fit on the stand and now I wouldn't want anything smaller.  I've recently considered going to two PA271w's on a like stand and I'm confident I'd soon love their size.  I don't think there's any such thing as 'too much' screen real estate, as long as it's quality land..
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

Jeff Kott

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 12:32:56 am »

Depends on how close you are sitting to the monitor.

In my studio I use a single NEC 26" SpectraView and sit only (my eye distance to screen) 24" away. I could not use a 30" screen comfortably.

If you are sitting a little further back 30" should be fine.

Josh, I just measured and when I'm working on photos my eyes are about 30 inches from the screen.

So for those of you who use 30 inch monitors, are you comfortable with them?

Steve, I'm thinking of going from two 21 inch monitors to a single 27 or 30 inch, so maybe with only one monitor I'd appreciate the extra screen real estate of the 30 inch? If I was going to use a dual monitor set up, the 27 inchers would certainly be plenty.

Thanks for the responses!

Jeff

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 12:45:38 am »

Josh, I just measured and when I'm working on photos my eyes are about 30 inches from the screen.

So for those of you who use 30 inch monitors, are you comfortable with them?

Steve, I'm thinking of going from two 21 inch monitors to a single 27 or 30 inch, so maybe with only one monitor I'd appreciate the extra screen real estate of the 30 inch? If I was going to use a dual monitor set up, the 27 inchers would certainly be plenty.

Thanks for the responses!

Jeff

I've considered a single 30" as well, and I've had one in for review a while back.. There is enough screen real estate, more or less, but the real difference is in how things work, the differences in function with the programs and drivers between one and two monitors.  This is something you'd need to experience and see how it affects your work flow. 

There is definitely a certain distance/angle you'll need to position the monitors, any monitors for that matter.  But the bigger and closer they get, the more it becomes an issue.  With dual monitors I want to be able to see both surfaces without turning my neck or moving my head.  I'm okay with having to move my eyes, but not to an extreme.  So.. I found myself moving my displays around in tiny increments for the first few weeks until I found the ideal distance and angle.  The monitors are about 26-27" from my eyes.

Jeff Kott

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 02:09:40 am »

I've considered a single 30" as well, and I've had one in for review a while back.. There is enough screen real estate, more or less, but the real difference is in how things work, the differences in function with the programs and drivers between one and two monitors.  This is something you'd need to experience and see how it affects your work flow. 

Steve, I've worked with the two 21 inch monitors for several years now, the primary monitor being an Eizo CG21, which I've been very happy with. But I think it's time to try a wider gamut monitor and see if that improves things. I understand what you're saying about the different work flow with a single versus two monitor set up. The only way for me to know what works for me is to see if I will like working with a single 26/27 or 30 inch monitor and if I find it's cramping my style, I can add a second monitor later.

BTW, I just checked out your website and it has some really terrific photography as well as great info. I'm going to revisit it when I have more time.

Cheers,

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 02:29:53 am »

Steve, I've worked with the two 21 inch monitors for several years now, the primary monitor being an Eizo CG21, which I've been very happy with. But I think it's time to try a wider gamut monitor and see if that improves things. I understand what you're saying about the different work flow with a single versus two monitor set up. The only way for me to know what works for me is to see if I will like working with a single 26/27 or 30 inch monitor and if I find it's cramping my style, I can add a second monitor later.

BTW, I just checked out your website and it has some really terrific photography as well as great info. I'm going to revisit it when I have more time.

Cheers,

I've switched from 2x21" to a single NEC 30" and never looked back - it's very convenient to softproof 24x16" print at 1:1 magnification. PA271W has smaller pixels, so it's visibly smaller - something like slightly extended 24" rather than slightly smaller 30".

PA271W seem to have slightly larger gamut volume than PA301W, indeed - but it's not a big deal (135k dE^3 vs 130k dE^3 in 30"). PA301W has true 10bit matrix advantege instead ;)
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 06:19:23 am »

Cheers,

I think I'm concerned more with how Czornyj put it.. 30" is enough if you can get over the workflow differences, but 27" is pushing it when going from dual 21" monitors.  But like you said, adding another is just a visa card away.. :)  And if you need a proper dual monitor stand to fit those 27 inch monitors let me know, I've done the research.

Thanks for checking out my site.  It's geared towards the beginner/tourist who visits Thailand and not the advanced stuff like Lulu does.. but it will give anyone a taste/feel for the country.

Jeff Kott

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 12:31:24 pm »

Steve and Czornyj,

That's good info. If I'm going to try a single monitor set up (which I am going to do soon), I'll go with the 30 inch vs. the 27.

Thanks,

Jeff

walter.sk

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 11:15:06 am »

I've been using the NEC LCD 3090wqxi for several years now, and I love it.  I can take in the whole display from the 32" distance to where I sit.  The real problem comes from the relatively small print resulting from the 2560x1600 resolution, in those apps where I cannot increase font size.

The wide format lets me position the panels and tools I need open in Photoshop, all on the right end of the screen.  Unfortunately, when I have two images side by side for softproofing there is some overlap of the panels with the rightmost image, but I don't have space available for a 2nd monitor of any size.

It took me about 10 seconds to get used to the larger display (coming from a 22" CRT), and I wouldn't give it up for anything.

Enchanter

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 07:08:31 pm »

This is the monitor I've been waiting for.  :D

Lloyd Chambers has been testing an advance unit of the new NEC 30" wide gamut display for about six weeks and has a review on his DAP (subscription) site.

The review is free. http://diglloyd.com/articles/Recommended/displayNEC30.html

Wellington, New Zealand
Pages: [1]   Go Up