Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My new website and blog!  (Read 3196 times)

Jason Denning

• http://www.jasondenning.co.uk
My new website and blog!
« on: March 02, 2011, 02:21:37 pm »

Hi everyone,

I've started a 6 month trip around Canada, and thought I would begin a trip to document this blog of all my photography - jasondenning.blogspot.com
I will start in Vancouver, then head east all the way to Toronto, New York and Washington DC then all the way back visiting many places along the way.
I also have a new site - www.jfvdenning.com

I appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks

Jason
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 02:44:07 pm by Jason Denning »

Rob C

Re: My new website and bog!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 02:25:50 pm »

Why would we want to visit your bog?

Kind, but really, we probably have a toilet of our own!

;-)

Rob C

Ishmael.

Re: My new website and bog!
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 02:37:52 pm »

love the 'land limited editions' series, especially 8 and 11

Jason Denning

Re: My new website and blog!
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 02:44:34 pm »

It's quite pretty down there! :-)

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 03:06:16 am »

Sorry, but I do not get it... you have fabulous photographs on your main site, and horrible snapshots on your blog.
If I where the author of the photographs at the former, I would not want to be linked to the latter.

Jason Denning

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 11:55:27 am »

How do you not get that? How can a snap shot taken in a few seconds on a small camera be as great as a shot that took me 20 minutes on medium format? The whole point of the blog is showing the interesting things along my way with snapshots (that I do not see any need to spend time processing as they are just that) and then you can see the amazing difference when I take the shot for real but going back with the right camera and with the right light.
You can obviously tell the difference which is good, you can see that most of the blog shots are not the final shots, and when they are they stand out.

The snap shots are things I see that are interesting but not worth wasting time on for a descent shot, or the light wasn't right etc etc. If you read the blog you will see most of the time I say if I'm going to head back to the spot again for the shot, then you get to see the final shot, is that not interesting as a photographer to you?

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 04:35:00 pm »

I understand that each site has a different intention, a different content, and a different dedication; I was not criticising neither your blog nor the photographs shown there, both are fine within their target. What I do not get is why you may want to link them together: for me, it is like wearing your undies over your best suit.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 04:59:00 pm »

I understand that each site has a different intention, a different content, and a different dedication; I was not criticising neither your blog nor the photographs shown there, both are fine within their target. What I do not get is why you may want to link them together: for me, it is like wearing your undies over your best suit.
Which didn't do Superman any harm.

Jeremy

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 05:46:01 pm »

How can a snap shot taken in a few seconds on a small camera be as great as a shot that took me 20 minutes on medium format?

Jason, If you don't understand the answer to that one you're not ready to make photographs.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

popnfresh

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 06:04:04 pm »

Jason, If you don't understand the answer to that one you're not ready to make photographs.
Jason, there's no question in my mind that you know how to take a beautiful picture. But I think Russ would like you to consider that doing great photography is limited less by the equipment than by the creativity of the person using it. And I would agree with that.

fredjeang

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 06:07:37 pm »

Correct. Many instant pics done by many whatever cameras, included cheap ones can indeed be top pictures in the right hands.

Jason Denning

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 04:11:46 pm »

Thanks for the good comments on my work, regarding equipment I was referring to the time I am putting into the pictures which the equipment can have a part in. A picture, and I mean a landscape picture (other photography is different so don't take this out of context) on the most part is far better when you put time into it and choose the right composition, whether you need a polariser etc etc. When I say snapshot I mean a quick shot with not much thought, the fact that I use a small camera for this has little relevance, but maybe this wasn't obvious, I wouldn't and can't take a snapshot on my medium format kit as it require setting up, the quickest set up is 2 mins and then it is no longer a snapshot.

I stand by my comment though, there is no way I can take a quick shot on my GF1, of say a waterfall that will be as great as a shot on my medium format or 617 camera with time, getting the focus right, the perfect composition using my geared head, using a polariser to reduce reflections, and a long shutter to get the smooth flow of the water, clear crisp detail and colours. But in another way I can't take a snapshot as great on my medium format as I can on a small camera, it depends what you are wanting to take.

The larger slower equipment demands me to think more about the shot because it takes more time to set up, this is my way of thinking and working though that I love, with smaller instant cameras I feel disconnected from the scene, and I won't take a picture I feel will be amazing on it if I can get the shot on a better camera, why would you? Unless of course there is no other way, which I have found to be rare. If a picture is worth taking why wouldn't you put time into it and use your best equipment? Yes if I put the GF1 on a tripod and use filters and take more time I will get the same shots, but then why wouldn't I use my medium format to get that shot with the extra pizazz and depth that medium format brings.

Russ, your work is totally different to mine and you can use the snapshot way of thinking, but your work to me looks that way which is not what I like to take and not what I want my shots to turn out like.

I'm not saying a great shot can't be taken on small cameras, that would be silly, it depends on the subject matter and the time you put in.

The reason to link them together is to get people to keep visiting my site, following my photography, I don't see it as a bad thing that all the photos on my blog aren't perfect, so long as my main site where I am selling my work has the best shots.

Sorry that's really long, and hopefully makes some sense!

« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 04:51:15 pm by Jason Denning »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2011, 04:31:54 pm »

in your Tuesday, March 8, 2011, blog post, titled "Heading to Whistler", under a snow covered entrance-door picture, you said:

"Although I could get into the flat, it was quite hazardous so it took me an hour to dig it out and create a proper path to my door, any more snow and I won't be able to see out the windows! Clearly the 3 swedish girls who lived in this 1 bed apartment before me were very lazy."

If indeed three Swedish girls shared that one bed, who can blame them for not having any time or energy left for snow cleaning. ;D

« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 01:31:44 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

Jason Denning

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2011, 04:53:53 pm »

:-) very funny, thanks Slobodan.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 01:45:18 pm »

On a more serious note, I do not agree with the criticism of your blog photographs. Yes, they are mostly snapshots, but horrible they are not. And snapshots are what I expect to find on people's blogs, especially when used to illustrate their journeys. To appease critics, however, you might want to update your blog posts, related to a particular site, with final photographs, once they are fully processed (or provide a link to your website).

Jason Denning

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2011, 01:53:26 am »

Thanks for the advice, I was thinking about how to make the finished work more obvious than they may be at the moment.
Pages: [1]   Go Up