Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEC Spectraview II targets' gammas: Edit 2.2, Print 1.8, why?  (Read 2600 times)

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures

Let me note at the top that I may have changed these target values (I don't remember doing so).

Since my last calibration of my NEC Multisync LCD2490WUXi2, the display has seemed wrong. I have re-calibrated twice.  The "off" part -- as I perceive it -- is that the display is a too bright: lights appear closer to being "blown", and Caucasian skin tones tend to go scarlet too quickly when adjusted.  Prints are darker than they had been -- but not by much.

I use the "Printer" target in Spectraview all the time (my photospectrometer is X-Rite's ColorMunki) -- I print in-house to an Epson 3880; display<-->print matching is my top priority.

So I'm wondering if something is wrong, and if so, what.

What is the best trouble-shooting path to make sure that everything is working right and is set right?

Along the way, I notice that the target gamma in NEC's SpectraView II for "Photo Editing" is 2.2, while the target gamma for "Print Standard" is 1.8.  Are these values the best ones to use?

Many thanks.  This is all outside my ken.

Cheers,
Kirby.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: NEC Spectraview II targets' gammas: Edit 2.2, Print 1.8, why?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 12:30:55 pm »

You want to use the photo editing 2.2. The print is a holdover from graphic arts for images intended to be output in CMYK halftone (not inkjet).

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 01:09:25 pm »

THANK YOU.

Two thumbs up.

Pat Herold

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 02:41:39 pm »

Did you (or somebody else) come along and change the buttons on the front of the display after you calibrated it?  Did somebody change the default profile for the display after it was profiled?   The whole idea of regular monitor calibration is to get consistent results from month to month over the lifetime of the display, so it's definitely odd that you would suddenly get something that looks different if you are using the same settings as before.
-Patrick Herold
  Tech Support,  chromix.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up