Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mounting prints to wood - how?  (Read 3891 times)

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
mounting prints to wood - how?
« on: March 02, 2011, 10:59:24 am »

Hi all,
   I have a client requesting a collage of standout mounted prints of varying depths. I've actually wanted to do this myself for a while so the timing is perfect. I do not want to print on canvas as that's not the look the client or I like for this project. Ideally I'll build my boxes out of cabinet grade plywood or masonite and mount the photos to the front face after the sides have been painted. I have a few questions on the process:
-do you have a suggestion for the best material to build the standout boxes out of? we're looking at anywhere from 2-5" deep off the wall and 18x20 to 30x20 in size.
- how would you mount the print to the wood? are there any special considerations for the effects of either the mounting substance or the wood on the longevity of the prints?

before mounting I'll spray the prints and probably again after mounting.
many thanks
Mark

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Re: mounting prints to wood - how?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 11:53:34 am »

Print mount ultra if you have a laminator. If not then 3M's PMA works great.
You could try Miracle Muck which works good on canvas. Have never used it on fine art papers.
I would probably mount to gatorboard or Dibond and then insert that into your custom box frame.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 02:53:23 pm by Dan Berg »

framah

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 04:45:09 pm »

There are companies who do this all the time. You send them the image, they mount it to your specs and you're ready to go.
The ones I have seen use  MDF board for the box.  I have also seen 1/2" ply used.  The image is mounted and then the edges of the image can get a chamfer on them if you want.
  The image can also be laminated for protection.

Personally, I would not use PMA for this type of job. It really isn't a serious permanent adhesive and I have gotten pieces in for repairs where the PMA has bubbled up due to improper use. The piece then has to be removed and then remounted with a more permanent adhesive.

Forget about "special considerations" here. It is not an archival method and isn't meant for "longevity". The glues are permanent and the wood is acidic.
This type of displaying is for decoration not longevity.
While they do look great done like this, they aren't meant for consideration for a serious art collection.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 12:35:25 am »

#1, don't use 'wood'.  Wood breathes and moves with temperature and humidity, as any cabinet maker can tell you.  Make the carcass out of whatever you want, but use something dimensionally stable as backer for the print.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 04:14:40 am »

The guys down at the natural history and fine art museums are wizards at doing that kind of stuff.  Their favorite material is either pre-laminated or uncoated MDF.  If needed prime and paint the MDF, then mount the photos with aggressive slightly acidic adhesive.  Leave plenty of image bleed all round, trim carefully with an Xacto knife.  Archival be damned, better to have those prints stay in place for a few years that to peel off in archival condition!

The only real downside with MDF is that the cut, cross sectional sides with the sawdust exposed is exceedingly porous and will soak up a lot of primer and paint, maybe 20 times more than the paper coated surface!  It's very difficult to make a face-to-side joint with MDF and have it look good through the paint.  So plan to work at it.  If you can build your MDF boxes with 45 degree miter cuts on the table saw, go for it but that ain't easy.  But nothing works better for that kind of app.

A slightly easier alternative for an in-depth effect is to mount the prints on aluminum panels or Gator, then bring dowels out from the wall for support.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 06:48:11 am »

Mr. Bill has some good suggestions if you can talk them out of wood. Here are some pictures of what he is talking about. (I think)The geese/swans at sunrise is a canvas print laminated to dibond with a satin laminate protecting the print. Spraying it would work as well. The car photo is a metallic print on dibond with a 10 mil gloss laminate on top. Aluminum trim strips on the side give it a little more finished look. The wood frame in the third picture makes either a standout and ready to hang.
Lots of options. Some take a little more equipment and experience to put together then others.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 11:34:57 am by Dan Berg »
Pages: [1]   Go Up