Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Premiere Elements 9 with Canon 5d files?  (Read 4942 times)

johnkiv

• JohnKishIV photography
Premiere Elements 9 with Canon 5d files?
« on: March 01, 2011, 07:52:18 pm »

From what I see on the web site, Elements 9 supports DSLR files.  Has anyone worked with it and Canon 5D2 files?  Is there transcoding involved? Would Elements be a waste of time, or should I dive into the CS5 pro version.  I am new to editing video.  My thinking is that Elements my have a shorter learning curve and be a stepping stone to CS5.  Working on a Win 7 machine. Yes, for 30 days I can find out for myself, but any advice, experiences appreciated.  As I get deeper into video, when things count more, I would work into CS5.

Thanks, John

Gordon Buck

• LightDescription
Re: Premiere Elements 9 with Canon 5d files?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 08:36:16 pm »

My thoughts match yours almost exactly except that I'm using Premiere Elements 9 with 7D and G12 video files.  It works but processing is slow, especially for longer files.  I confess to being on the early slope of a long learning curve.

A source of frustration to me is that the PE9 workflow does not appear to match with my own thought process.  I think (hope) that PE9 is trying to do too much for me.  I'm not attempting to discourage you from using PE9 and I intend to continue to learn PE9. 
Gordon
 [url=http://lightdescription.blog

johnkiv

• JohnKishIV photography
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 09:26:36 am »

Gordon,

Thanks for sharing.  I've been paying attention to video for a long time without jumping in.  One thing that does seem clear to me is that it is a "time hole."  My guess is that it is a transcoding/processing issue.  From what I hear, Final Cut will do it in the background, letting you do other things.  Not clear to me what those other things are.  CS5 apparently reads the files directly, but I'm sure there would be things to wait for. 

I wonder if the mismatch with you thought process is part of working with a "consumer" package making assumptions and decisions that are getting in the way of what you want to do.   Maybe CS5 would be the way to go. 

You thoughts are valuable,  John

Craig Murphy

• http://www.murphyphotography.com
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 07:21:11 pm »

You should be listening to Vincent Laforet's three days free webinar over at Creativelive.com !
CMurph

AvidVisionary

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 07:27:58 am »

"Not clear to me what those other things are".

It means that you can browse, type, watch videos etc.... while it is rendering you can multi task. Do not render the whole film but only 1 minute so you can get a better idea of what it will look like.

If you are on a PC I would advise CS5. On a MAC then go for Final Cut Pro. Stay away from Premier Elements and Final Cut Express if you are doing professional work.

Canon 5D markII native editing in Premiere CS5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP8PoPvuYl0

NigelC

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 05:24:03 am »

"Not clear to me what those other things are".

It means that you can browse, type, watch videos etc.... while it is rendering you can multi task. Do not render the whole film but only 1 minute so you can get a better idea of what it will look like.

If you are on a PC I would advise CS5. On a MAC then go for Final Cut Pro. Stay away from Premier Elements and Final Cut Express if you are doing professional work.

Canon 5D markII native editing in Premiere CS5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP8PoPvuYl0

OK, if you are not doing professional work, will Premiere Elements work for 5D2 files, and alos AVCHD files form GH2?

AvidVisionary

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 07:21:17 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up